Question about worlds hoster (Community)

Question about worlds hoster // Community

1  |

lh

May 28, 2001, 6:14pm
Hi all
Unfortunately my Web Hoster does not allow to start any programs in background so I need
in hosting for my world...

I looked some sites, but they do not accept credit cards, I would like to pay only with my
credit card

It would be good if it worked on linux and also that this package included hosting for 2-3
bots like
DJBot

One more thing, it would be good if I might control my world with "Server Administration"
from my pc

Please let me know about any

Thank you

Andrej

just know that by uploading the exe to a server, it won't work. now, it
doesn't matter what OS your world is hosted on, makes no difference. after
what I know there are no (publicaly released) bots for Linux/Unix, so that
won't be possible. if your world is in AW, the server will have to be 3.0
(thus accept server admin logins) :-))

KAH
PS. good luck with your world!

[View Quote]

jfk2

May 28, 2001, 7:57pm
WEB HOSTER? You mean your ISP PROVIDER don't you? You could do that yourself
running the admin tool on your own pc. THE WEB HOSTER has nothing to do with
the world server. It is the path to put your AW files. And most likely it
will not allow you to do a direct file download without first sending you
to some download page first. You could try www.nbci.com for your world
hosting site as my friend's RPG world's path is hosted through my
MIDI WEB site. Also PETZCITY is using my midi web site as well...
But they do allow for direct file downloads. Just make sure you do
have your files listed on some html page BUT it dosen't need to be accessable
to the general web surfing public... Like parts of my MIDI site are not
direct accessable yet. jfkmusic.com/da1.html[One of the tunes found here
is ON BRWAY GZ OF BW = BW World GZ tune] = a midi tune directory that
can't be accessed doing the general jfkmusic.com web page that loads.
But if you can... You should be allowed by your ISP to run a program
in the background. If they say NO... Then if i were you... I would
seriously consider switching to another ISP. Not being able to run
FTP Server, WEB Hosting Server, World Servers, Telnet Server, Email Server,
NGS Server is no fun at all...
The long way in there without my DOMAIN NAME is...
members.nbci.com/gkieffer/da1.html OR members.nbci.com/gkieffer/
NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH 3dworlds.jfkmusic.com = My Message Forum That Is
The Web Version Of This AW's Newsgroups PLUS Other Universes & Worlds.
AND YES... I AM A MODERATOR THERE... AND NO... I do not BOOT people
if i do not like them... ANYONE has that right to speak wheather or not
I personally love them or not makes no difference... THEY all get to have
their say there. Only the type of words used may make the messages be
cleaned up OR deleted. And nothing else matters. And I do allow for alot to
happen before i clean OR delete it.
AND YES... It has been running since 11/15/2000 HOSTED on
www.delphi.com servers & it is a FREE thing to join there.
I even had a 3 month notice at all the AW TELEPORT STOPS in Alpha World.
12/15/2000 - 3/15/2001 apx. And i'm seriously considering another one...

lh <djusha at infotel.kg> wrote in <3b12b192 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Hi all
>Unfortunately my Web Hoster does not allow to start any programs
>in background so I need
>in hosting for my world...
>
>I looked some sites, but they do not accept credit cards,
>I would like to pay only with my
>credit card
>
>It would be good if it worked on linux and also that this
>package included hosting for 2-3
>bots like
>DJBot
>
>One more thing, it would be good if I might control my
>world with "Server Administration"
>from my pc
>
>Please let me know about any
>
>Thank you
>Andrej

jerme

May 28, 2001, 9:40pm
I am going to be offering free hosting soon, so, no need to worry about
paying.

There are no bots that run on Linux, but it can be done with a Win emulator.

About the server admin. I would never give you access to this (and I doubt
anyone, in their right mind, will) for these reasons:
1) There is only 1 user name and password for the admin, and I'm not giving
that to you.
2) IF I gave you the password you would have access to all the worlds
running on my server, not only yours. Unless I ran 2 different aw servers on
the same machine; which is unnecessary.

JerMe at nc.rr.com
----------------------
AIM: AlphaNumeric100
ICQ: 106209991
AW: JerMe (#296967)
[View Quote]

wing

: 106209991
> AW: JerMe (#296967)
[View Quote]

jfk2

May 28, 2001, 10:03pm
I hear you there... And i do the same on my 3 world servers I host.
If someone wants something changed... They GRAM me or EMAIL me or
we get together on ICQ or Paltalk.
Or even NET 2 Phone or PC 2 PC type of things. [I do have a microphone
and do not mind using it to chat with]
or by real PHONE if they don't mind the expense or live close
enough to phone locally...
BUT giving out my WORLD HOST SYS ADMIN PASS.... Yeah.... Right...

jerme <JerMe at nc.rr.com> wrote in <3b12e1e6$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>I am going to be offering free hosting soon, so, no need to worry about
>paying.
>
>There are no bots that run on Linux, but it can be done with a Win emulator.
>
>About the server admin. I would never give you access to this (and I doubt
>anyone, in their right mind, will) for these reasons:
>1) There is only 1 user name and password for the admin, and I'm not giving
>that to you.
>2) IF I gave you the password you would have access to all the worlds
>running on my server, not only yours. Unless I ran 2 different aw servers on
>the same machine; which is unnecessary.

tony m

May 29, 2001, 4:51am
[View Quote] correction: 3.1

lh

May 29, 2001, 6:01am
Bad news, I have received some offers but nobody works with credit cards :) checks or
money by mail will not work in my country. The wire transfer about $30, so I want to pay
with credit card only.

I offer to try to work with www.multicards.com, They process almost all credit cards for
you

I work with them about 3 years I had no problems with them

Yes, they take 10-12 % for each transaction

> Hi all
> Unfortunately my Web Hoster does not allow to start any programs in background so I need
> in hosting for my world...
>
> I looked some sites, but they do not accept credit cards, I would like to pay only with
my
> credit card
>
> It would be good if it worked on linux and also that this package included hosting for
2-3
> bots like
> DJBot
>
> One more thing, it would be good if I might control my world with "Server
Administration"
> from my pc
>
> Please let me know about any
>
> Thank you
>
> Andrej

oops, hit the wrong key ;-)) thanx for correcting me :-))

jfk2

May 30, 2001, 12:34am
Of course there is always the old fashioned BARTER FOR SERVICES things...
That is something that people used to do long ago in those dark ages...
It is when someone agrees to do services for you IN EXCHANGE you do
something for them. THUS you don't have to shell out that extra %% for
any exchange rates... EXAMPLE.... Someone hosts your world for
$15 per year. IN your country that might be $30.00 and it could be your
fees you charge to be a web page designer... WELL... Exchange services
& both side come out the winners without exchanging CASH or CREDIT CARDS.