ABC's website... (Community)

ABC's website... // Community

1  |

joeman

Feb 20, 2001, 9:33pm
I guess when you had that HD failure, ABC's website didnt get re-uploaded.
Or, is that an incorrect link in the world? Has anyone else spotted this?

~Joeman

eep no@1.com

Feb 20, 2001, 11:01pm
Um, are you talking about the TV network, ABC? If so, why? It's off-topic and you should know by now to NOT POST OFF-TOPIC.

[View Quote] > I guess when you had that HD failure, ABC's website didnt get re-uploaded.
> Or, is that an incorrect link in the world? Has anyone else spotted this?

joeman

Feb 20, 2001, 11:03pm
Nope, the world ABC :)

~Joeman

make it simple for ppl, use it's name, Simple Geometry

KAH
joeman <Joeman at bootdown.com> skrev i
meldingsnyheter:3a9313e6 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Nope, the world ABC :)
>
> ~Joeman

[View Quote]

wing

Feb 22, 2001, 7:33pm
And WHY are all your replys marked SV: instead of RE:. I've never seen that
in any groups before and I have no clue what it means except for idiocy.

--
Wing
This little spot is dedicated to my girl, Jessie.
bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

andras

Feb 22, 2001, 8:04pm
News/mail clients in different coutries (different language settings) use different abbreviation for the "Re:".
Andras

[View Quote]

rolu

Feb 23, 2001, 10:12am
[View Quote] Only the stupid ones

the ones that think people using a certain language won't talk to people
using another language

usually the Microsoft ones.

If you reply to an English group, use Re:, not some foreign stuff.

rolu

actually, RE: is an breviation for Reply:, but this whole crap computer is
installed in Norwegian, even the mail reader (not my fault, not mine) and
SV: is for Svar: (Norwegian for reply)

KAH

wing <bathgate at prodigy.net> skrev i
meldingsnyheter:3a9585bd$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> And WHY are all your replys marked SV: instead of RE:. I've never seen
that
> in any groups before and I have no clue what it means except for idiocy.
>
> --
> Wing
> This little spot is dedicated to my girl, Jessie.
> AW Citizen 305004 "Wing"
> bathgate at prodigy.net
> eyemwing at teleport.com
> ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

agent1

Feb 23, 2001, 11:26am
More actually, it was originally meant as an abreviation for "regarding", I believe.

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------221025EC224793B109568396

Lotus Notes (IBM now) at least up to 4.6 doesn't even use the
abbreviation, it uses the complete word (german version : "Antwort:"),
so not only your Outlook Express is stupid.

IMO this is missing in the protocols, it should have a flag that makes
the email/news reader show (not add!) the country-specific version of
this abbreviation. As the protocol is quite old and will not be changed,
it would be good if the developers of these clients would come to a
common abbreviation, strip it from the subject line and replace it by
the language dependant version for display / replace the language
version by this common one on sending.

But I'm afraid this will not happen in the next 100 years.

Everyone here accepts english as the language that all can understand, I
think it isn't necessary to constantly complain about concept problems
in a multilingual world, especially as they are not caused by the people
who post.

rolu schrieb:

[View Quote] begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------221025EC224793B109568396--

rolu

Feb 23, 2001, 5:21pm
[View Quote] hm, that's even worse (but that wouldn't be different if it used "Reply:").

By the way - it isn't my OLX, it's made by Microsoft.

> IMO this is missing in the protocols, it should have a flag that makes
> the email/news reader show (not add!) the country-specific version of
> this abbreviation.

Why not use Re: everywhere?

> As the protocol is quite old and will not be changed,
> it would be good if the developers of these clients would come to a
> common abbreviation, strip it from the subject line and replace it by
> the language dependant version for display / replace the language
> version by this common one on sending.
>
> But I'm afraid this will not happen in the next 100 years.

quite so.

> Everyone here accepts english as the language that all can understand, I
> think it isn't necessary to constantly complain about concept problems
> in a multilingual world, especially as they are not caused by the people
> who post.

We all use English as a common language, so let's use it everywhere and not
add foreign pieces here and there.

And whether or not it is directly caused by the people who post doesn't
matter - in the end they are responsible for it.

rolu

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------79D9138E475DE90160C3C30E

Equalizing the language dependant parts cannot be done. Most programs
are not made for us in the first place, they are made for companies who
pay much money for them and it is sometimes hard to believe what formal
stuff those companies believe to be important.

Outlook (german version, not express) for example is made for german
companies, as much as many americans don't speak other languages you
will find germans who don't speak a language other than german. All
grades in a company have to work with the same company and you will not
find many companies that will accept english words in a translated
software. Especially EMail clients represent a company, customers read
the emails. A software that does not fit into a companies conzept for
representing them will not sell.

I had one customer (small company) who sure will make you laugh, but
also see the problem :
The boss looked at the program source (!) and complained about all the
english words, not only the inline comments but the source code as well.
Off course he accepted my explanation but he checked all dialogs and
other texts that the program produced. There was one abbreviation that I
used that was not german (incl. instead of inkl.) and I had to fix that
although his own personal profile contained the english form of this
abbreviation.

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------79D9138E475DE90160C3C30E--

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------5E323860E4EC40B08877C552

correction :

"All grades in a company have to work with the same company"

was thought to be

"All grades in a company have to work with the same software"

email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------5E323860E4EC40B08877C552--

rolu

Feb 23, 2001, 6:09pm
[View Quote] yes, there you have a problem. That's why I like customization - being able
to tell your news reader to use Re: when around here, and SV or something in
foreign groups. And for the mail reader - to be able to set a standard, and
then being able to override this standard for specific people if needed. For
this you won't need a universal agreement with everybody who makes news and
mail clients, you just have to have one program and use that.

Think of what will happen when the German company wants to do business with
some people in America.

> I had one customer (small company) who sure will make you laugh, but
> also see the problem :
> The boss looked at the program source (!) and complained about all the
> english words, not only the inline comments but the source code as well.
> Off course he accepted my explanation but he checked all dialogs and
> other texts that the program produced. There was one abbreviation that I
> used that was not german (incl. instead of inkl.) and I had to fix that
> although his own personal profile contained the english form of this
> abbreviation.

That's the problem. Some people like to see things in their own language,
and don't accept foreign stuff. I don't mind seeing foreign stuff - but I
like to see a certain standard in places. A standard like "this is a German
language server, so use the German language" "this is an English language
server, so use the English language". Imagine what happens when someone from
Japan or Russia uses local settings for things like this. It would become
totally unreadable. I don't like it when software doesn't give you the
choice.

rolu

joeman

Feb 24, 2001, 1:08pm