kinda in a pickle... (Community)

kinda in a pickle... // Community

1  |

nornny

Dec 24, 2000, 10:15pm
Sorry to bother you guys, but I've been trying to locate my past builds for
some time now with no avail. I've been getting tips and hints as to a Lost
and Found bot that can speed up the proccess of searching for my property in
AW, but no one knows the url. Does anyone here have the url? ANY help would
be much appreciated. :)

Nornny

nova n@n.com

Dec 25, 2000, 12:41am
ouch a roaming bot with blue priningting caps may work dont know if any
would do a bp while they roamed
[View Quote]

twisted horizon

Dec 25, 2000, 9:15am
The lost and found bot is a legend. Ima Genius is pretending to be
programming one at the moment. What a laugh.

Consider this. I don't know how large AlphaWorld is, so we can just pretend
it's down to 10,000NSEW.
That really makes it 20,000x20,000.

20,000
x20,000
-----------
400000 cells squared. (Cells is the technical term that
bot programmers use to measure NSEW)

400,000 cells each way. A bot scans in sectors. Each sector is a grid of
10x10 cells.

Now, you'll have to forgive my 13-year-old incolence, but even if the
numbers come out wrong because there really is a trick when you divide as
you square, you'll still have good enough numbers to prove my point.

400000
/ 10
--------------
40,000

Assuming that each sector takes about 3 minutes to scan (because they really
do take about that long, especially in used locations) thats 40,000 times 4,
120,000 or 2,000 hours or over 900 days or more than 2 years. Sound fun?
Don't worry, there's more.

The average build has more than 100 objects. That would be equal to about 4
two-story simple houses. How many of those have you built? Now, they don't
give you a "Your house is here" "Your city is here" They spurt out in "I
found a walk001.rwx at 130n 346w" Now, that 100 times, times however many of
those houses you built?
I sure don't want to be the one that tries to find out what that means.

And what about the pains in it? AlphaWorld will eject a bot that comes close
enough to GZ, but since it's on a loop from one corner of the world to the
other, there isn't really much of a way to prevent that (Well, yes there is,
but it might get messy) so blah to the programmer.

It may just be me, but, instead of waiting two years and then digging
through a list of over 100,000 objects, I'd rather just use the Vevo AW Map.
awmap.vevo.com

Any doubts on Ima Genius' claim? I sure have a few.

Sincerly,
Twisted Horizon.
Merry Christmas!

rolu

Dec 25, 2000, 10:56am
[View Quote] either about 32000 or 65000 in each direction... don't remember which one it
was. But you probably know about where your building is, don't you? You
might remember in which quadrant it was or something.

> That really makes it 20,000x20,000.
>
> 20,000
> x20,000
> -----------
> 400000 cells squared. (Cells is the technical term
that
> bot programmers use to measure NSEW)
>
> 400,000 cells each way. A bot scans in sectors. Each sector is a grid of
> 10x10 cells.

so, a sector is 100 cells.

> Now, you'll have to forgive my 13-year-old incolence, but even if the
> numbers come out wrong because there really is a trick when you divide as
> you square, you'll still have good enough numbers to prove my point.
>

> 400000
> / 10
> --------------
> 40,000

that would be dividing by 100, not 10. Still 4000 sectors. But AW is larger
than that.

> Assuming that each sector takes about 3 minutes to scan (because they
really
> do take about that long, especially in used locations) thats 40,000 times
4,
> 120,000 or 2,000 hours or over 900 days or more than 2 years. Sound fun?
> Don't worry, there's more.

90 days, or about 3 months. But if that takes you too long, just run more
bots at once.

> The average build has more than 100 objects. That would be equal to about
4
> two-story simple houses. How many of those have you built? Now, they don't
> give you a "Your house is here" "Your city is here" They spurt out in "I
> found a walk001.rwx at 130n 346w" Now, that 100 times, times however many
of
> those houses you built?
> I sure don't want to be the one that tries to find out what that means.

If the bot finds a dozen of those walks at once, it can just give one
warning.

> And what about the pains in it? AlphaWorld will eject a bot that comes
close
> enough to GZ, but since it's on a loop from one corner of the world to the
> other, there isn't really much of a way to prevent that (Well, yes there
is,
> but it might get messy) so blah to the programmer.

That's very easy to prevent.

> It may just be me, but, instead of waiting two years and then digging
> through a list of over 100,000 objects, I'd rather just use the Vevo AW
Map.
> awmap.vevo.com

If you use the map, you prolly have a general idea of where your stuff is.
You can tell the bot to start at a certain position, and then make circles
around it, wider and wider, until it finds something. By the way, if the
search takes an x amount of time, and the chance of finding your building is
about equal, you'll find it in on average x/2 time. And you might be lucky
and find it at the beginning.

> Any doubts on Ima Genius' claim? I sure have a few.

I'm pretty sure it's possible, but a program searching through the AW world
database would be much faster. But that involves the AW management, and
they'll prolly not let you there.

> Sincerly,
> Twisted Horizon.
> Merry Christmas!

nornny

Dec 25, 2000, 1:19pm
Thank you everyone for your help and patience for me to post a bot-related
post in the community group. :)

Through one stroke of an idea, I recalled back to an old mailing list that I
was subscribed in, and remembered that most everyone there at one time or
another tried AW. So i went back searching through old posts, and sure
enough, BINGO! I managed to find not only my first Alphaworld build, but my
first build ever since I immigrated back in 1998. A friend and I went back
to those places and finally, I can make my AW peace, right in the nick of
Christmas too. :)

God, looking back though, you never realize how corrupted you've gotten ever
since the good ol' days when you weren't involved with anything, and just
built for fun with friends. Getting a new texture added was absolute
excitement, trying to build a waterfall, a theater, and a shopping mall all
in once cell space was a struggle (i've learned better), and just leaving a
solitary life with a group of your frineds was fun...how I miss those days.

Nornny

[View Quote]

myrth

Dec 25, 2000, 10:32pm
It is not a legend, I have used it and I know several other people who have
too. It just seems that Ima is busy with other things at the moment.

-Myrth

[View Quote]

agent1

Dec 26, 2000, 12:28am
Plus, I think the scale of the thing would require him to run in on a Unix server... He's waiting for a Unix version of the SDK, I believe. He already has a (relatively) recent propdump...

You can download brant's aw utility and the webpage says it now includes a
finder bot that finds your builds. I haven't tested it, but if somebody
still misses old builds...
http://www.shoemakervillage.org/programs.html

KAH
PS. I posted this to inform others about it, since I see you found your
builds
[View Quote]

trekker

Dec 26, 2000, 4:40pm
.... If you thinck, (if u can) ur about right in the caculations, but.. u can
have about 4 or 5 bots, or more running at once. I have a mapping program that
sends out 3 bots. I stayed up allnight once and got about 45% of AW mapped. so
if yopu thinck with about 5 bots it would be done faster, and they have T1 lines
so they can work real fast. so thinck about things before u say something

[View Quote] > The lost and found bot is a legend. Ima Genius is pretending to be
> programming one at the moment. What a laugh.
>
> Consider this. I don't know how large AlphaWorld is, so we can just pretend
> it's down to 10,000NSEW.
> That really makes it 20,000x20,000.
>
> 20,000
> x20,000
> -----------
> 400000 cells squared. (Cells is the technical term that
> bot programmers use to measure NSEW)
>
> 400,000 cells each way. A bot scans in sectors. Each sector is a grid of
> 10x10 cells.
>
> Now, you'll have to forgive my 13-year-old incolence, but even if the
> numbers come out wrong because there really is a trick when you divide as
> you square, you'll still have good enough numbers to prove my point.
>
> 400000
> / 10
> --------------
> 40,000
>
> Assuming that each sector takes about 3 minutes to scan (because they really
> do take about that long, especially in used locations) thats 40,000 times 4,
> 120,000 or 2,000 hours or over 900 days or more than 2 years. Sound fun?
> Don't worry, there's more.
>
> The average build has more than 100 objects. That would be equal to about 4
> two-story simple houses. How many of those have you built? Now, they don't
> give you a "Your house is here" "Your city is here" They spurt out in "I
> found a walk001.rwx at 130n 346w" Now, that 100 times, times however many of
> those houses you built?
> I sure don't want to be the one that tries to find out what that means.
>
> And what about the pains in it? AlphaWorld will eject a bot that comes close
> enough to GZ, but since it's on a loop from one corner of the world to the
> other, there isn't really much of a way to prevent that (Well, yes there is,
> but it might get messy) so blah to the programmer.
>
> It may just be me, but, instead of waiting two years and then digging
> through a list of over 100,000 objects, I'd rather just use the Vevo AW Map.
> awmap.vevo.com
>
> Any doubts on Ima Genius' claim? I sure have a few.
>
> Sincerly,
> Twisted Horizon.
> Merry Christmas!

canopus

Dec 26, 2000, 7:47pm
The LostFoundBot is available at
http://www.canopus.org/construction/construction.html. It's a spinoff of
the CensusBot, which I use to find all buildings built during the
previous year (then I visit them to find sites to add to the Mars
Tours). The LostFoundBot only notes property belonging to its owner, but
even then searching a world the size of AW would test your patience. The
1999-2000 Census of Mars took a few hours, on and off, and Mars is about
2000 coords square (AW is maybe 65000 coords square). Luckily you found
your address in some old correspondence. Using the CensusBot or the
LostFoundBot on a typical personal world takes just a few minutes.
(These Bots are invisible, so they can cover property at GZ.)

[View Quote] > Sorry to bother you guys, but I've been trying to locate my past builds for
> some time now with no avail. I've been getting tips and hints as to a Lost
> and Found bot that can speed up the proccess of searching for my property in
> AW, but no one knows the url. Does anyone here have the url? ANY help would
> be much appreciated. :)
>
> Nornny

All this coming from someone who doesn't know how to spell "think"...
What's wrong, spell checker broken? :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Oh, the bitter irony...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

twisted horizon

Dec 28, 2000, 11:11am
5 bots? yeah, if we feel like paying $40.. the average person only feels
like buying one citizenship. I'm also considering that not everyone has T1
lines, and those that do may not be running up to scratch. I'm considering
the average user, not the rich computer nerd. It is possible that you don't
build up to the edge, you know what quadrant it is, you set a trend with
your buildings (nearly all of mine are 1987w), but to tell you the truth I
have no idea where my buildings from 1996 were located. See a problem? I'm
not going to say it's impossible, because it can be done. I do realize my
math is wrong, thanks Rolu, I caught that right after I hit post (oh, well,
can't catch 'em all), and I do realize that it is possible. The circular
idea seems really great, but really, the most believable way to search for
everything would be a for loop that looks like this (I program C++, but I'll
put it in plain english so the people who use other languages can see)

Start at (furthest north) (furthest west)
while (west) doesn't = (furthest east) and (north) doesn't = (furthest
south)
Scan this sector
(furthest west) = (furthest west) + (one sector)
if (west) = (furthest east)
(west) = (furthest west)
(north) = (north) - (one sector)

And that would take some time. That scans the whole world. I am aware that
there are more efficient ways to do this. BLAH! See how much worse my
writing gets immediately after I program? Nasty, Nasty, Nasty! And that was
just fake programming, you can imagine how bad I can really get.

-Twisted Horizon

[View Quote]

grimble

Dec 28, 2000, 11:18am
But it won't eject a bot that QUERIES GZ. You don't have to query the nine
sectors surrounding the bot's position.

Grims

[View Quote] AlphaWorld will eject a bot that comes close enough to GZ.