Signup to project popcorn and get referrals! it rocks! (General Discussion)

Signup to project popcorn and get referrals! it rocks! // General Discussion

1  |

john

Dec 17, 2002, 4:50pm
http://www.gamecentrix.co.uk/projectpopcorn/start.asp?refID=2

binarybud

Dec 17, 2002, 5:09pm
looks like an Email harvesting scheme....in sheeps clothing...;)

[View Quote]

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Dec 17, 2002, 5:20pm
Yep, wont be so cool when you get your email addresses sold to a gazillion lousy spammers.......

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Dec 17, 2002, 5:31pm
you guys do that? What jerks

[View Quote]

john

Dec 17, 2002, 5:46pm
Did i mention that i'm FRIENDS w/ the owner?

[View Quote]

john

Dec 17, 2002, 5:48pm
BTW, when you have an email address for five years (like mine), you'll end
up with enough spammers to last a life time anyway :-)

What do you call AW NGs if not a harvesting scheme, any spammer could make a
prog to dl the info on who posted it. lol

[View Quote]

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Dec 17, 2002, 6:35pm
No carl...... not us, that website.......

[View Quote]

binarybud

Dec 17, 2002, 6:37pm
but you can protect yourselves in the NG...... these companys set up these web sites JUST to get email addys....they are what make the money(address lists).....;) ask your "friend" what his motivation is...:)

[View Quote]

john

Dec 17, 2002, 7:47pm
And what about www.3d-reality.com?
[View Quote]

binarybud

Dec 17, 2002, 7:59pm
wow John are you listening here?..... that is a totally different thing....although harvesting could be underneath...and used later as a "revenue generator" .....?

Did you talk to your friend? Is he planning on selling the addresses? Some companys do and some do not. And they usually post their intentions but not always....lol "buyer beware" comes to mind..;) If he is not going to use them, then he would do good to post that info..;)

[View Quote]

john

Dec 17, 2002, 9:58pm
Nope, he isnt.... + 3d-reality is mine, hehe.. lol
[View Quote]

john

Dec 17, 2002, 10:36pm
I just got 46 seperate email addresses from the "general.discussion"
newsgroup, from the 300 messages that I have here at this time. All i did
was make a simple interception program which harvested the email addresses
:-D! So watch it! heh!

Hmm....this log is useful... *thinks* ... ME MAKE NEWS SEVER :-D

[View Quote]

absolute monarch absolutemonarch(at)sappphireestates(dot)cjb(dot)net

Dec 17, 2002, 10:48pm
LMAO! lol.....how on Earth could you have even thought that CarL???
--

Thankyou for your attention.

Your's Faithfully,
Absolute Monarch
A.K.A The Evil Chaotic Lord of the Dead and Demons
338508
Mayor of Sapphire Estates - AW 18000s 16000w
Post in our Newsgroup:
Alumnus of Hell, Fields of Demonolatry and
Demonology
From the NG2tNGs:
Absolute Monarch - Ruler of Sapphire Estates and self-proclaimed "Evil
Chaotic Lord of the Dead and Demons", this necrophile will beg, borrow,
and steal to get attention for his town. Be especially wary if he starts
asking about worlds...

[View Quote] Yeah and you better watch out that you announced that. Most of us put no.spam or
some other clever spam deterrant to stop bots and people like you (meaning people
that would do this, not just your spur of the moment proving a point).

john

Dec 18, 2002, 10:09am
You better watch how you say things - I don't spam, tho I do eat it because
I like the taste - but thats not the point...... I was only making my point
that it'd be VERY easy.

[View Quote]

john

Dec 18, 2002, 2:23pm
I just got 46 seperate email addresses from the "general.discussion"
newsgroup, from the 300 messages that I have here at this time. All i did
was make a simple interception program which harvested the email addresses
:-D! So watch it! heh!

Hmm....this log is useful... *thinks* ... ME MAKE NEWS SEVER :-D

"binarybud" <leom at knorrinteractive.com> wrote in
news:3dff8b00$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> but you can protect yourselves in the NG...... these companys set up
> these web sites JUST to get email addys....they are what make the
> money(address lists).....;) ask your "friend" what his motivation
> is...:)

I happen to know this guy, and I'm pretty sure he isn't going to sell your
info to anyone. He actually bothered to write a privacy statement, and a
ToS. But there are many people who would sell it, especially spammers who
put that little note about unsubscribing by replying with "unsubscribe" in
the subject... Damn US laws making SPAM legal, while giving spammers an
opportunity to map live addresses in the act of rendering it legal.

"binarybud" <leom at knorrinteractive.com> wrote in
news:3dff8b00$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> but you can protect yourselves in the NG...... these companys set up
> these web sites JUST to get email addys....they are what make the
> money(address lists).....;) ask your "friend" what his motivation
> is...:)

Got a little update on the matter, from the author of the site himself.
Turns out the email addresses are only stored until account confirmation
has been completed. The motivation is just a fun little experiment, and
trying to form a little community. And protecting yourself with "NOSPAM"
isn't much of a protection, I bet all the SPAM harvesters automatically
parse it out.

but e-mail goes further, has AT and DOT folled with an at and a dot. might
help i figured lol
[View Quote]

agent1

Dec 18, 2002, 8:43pm
What are you talking about? Lots of the states have laws specifically making unsolicited, commercial email illegal.

baron

Dec 19, 2002, 7:23am
In article <3e00fa17 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, agent1 at shatteredplatters.com.nospam says...
> What are you talking about? Lots of the states have laws specifically making unsolicited, commercial email illegal.
>
> -Agent1

[View Quote] BS example:
"This email is intended to be a benefit to the recipient. If you would like to opt-out and not recieve any more marketing information please click here [site withheld]. Your address will be removed within 24hrs. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. This E-mail is not SPAM under the Federal Regulatory laws of the United States. This message is being sent to you in compliance with the proposed Federal Legislation for commercial e-mail (H.R.4176-SECTION 101
PARAGRAPH (e) (1) (A)) and Bill s.1618 TITLE III passed by the 105th US Congress. This message is not intended for residents of WA, NV, CA, VA. Screening of addresses has been done to the best of our technical ability."

Note the *proposed* Federal Legislation, AFAIK it never passed into law. Btw it's "spam", not "SPAM" which is a Hormel Foods Corporation copyright :) http://www.spam.com/hp/hp_lg.htm

--
Baron

> Note the *proposed* Federal Legislation, AFAIK it never passed into law. Btw it's
"spam", not "SPAM" which is a Hormel Foods Corporation copyright :)
http://www.spam.com/hp/hp_lg.htm

USENET (I think that's where this term arrose) used "SPAM" because it was a horrible
product and so is the "food" SPAM. That's my opinion on it anyways.

--Bowen--

baron

Dec 19, 2002, 6:36pm
In article <3e0219db at server1.Activeworlds.com>, thisguyrules at 7k2.4mg.com.ANTISPAM says...
> "spam", not "SPAM" which is a Hormel Foods Corporation copyright :)
> http://www.spam.com/hp/hp_lg.htm
>
> USENET (I think that's where this term arrose) used "SPAM" because it was a horrible
> product and so is the "food" SPAM. That's my opinion on it anyways.
>
> --Bowen--

In spam related NG (NANAE for example) the all uppercase spelling is avoided by the regulars and new posters are advised to use the lowercase spelling; I doubt Hormel would bother but it still is a registered trademark. About the word's origin check out http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html#2.4

--
Baron

john

Dec 20, 2002, 4:57pm
Annoys us all KAH, maybe they should receive 10 tons of spam they cant