Creating a Database! (General Discussion)

Creating a Database! // General Discussion

1  |

syntax

Sep 13, 2002, 7:15pm
Hello! I was wondering if any of you techies out there could point me in
the right direction concerning a web database.

What I would like to do is have an editable database where 8 different
people can login to an area and add something in. In this case I want to
keep a database of residents for people to view and only a few to edit.

I have webspace and a server with all the goodies needed to do something
like this, so that's not a problem.

If you know a way I could possibly do something like this, please reply! If
I'm not being clear, just tell me :-P
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

Well, it depends what kind of "goodies" you have on the server. If you
have Perl on there, the simplest way would be to use a flat-file,
tab-delimited database (basically, a text file where all the information
is separated by tabs and line breaks). If you have PHP, then you can use
a mySQL database. If you have something higher-end, like ASP or
ColdFusion, you can simply use an Access database and upload it onto
your webspace. Clear? :P

Go ColdFusion! :D
robrod at prism.net

"goober king" <gooberking at utn.cjb.net> wrote in
news:3D825620.6050109 at utn.cjb.net:

> Well, it depends what kind of "goodies" you have on the server. If you
> have Perl on there, the simplest way would be to use a flat-file,
> tab-delimited database (basically, a text file where all the
> information is separated by tabs and line breaks). If you have PHP,
> then you can use a mySQL database. If you have something higher-end,
> like ASP or ColdFusion, you can simply use an Access database and
> upload it onto your webspace. Clear? :P

Flat-file: slow
Access MDB: slow
*SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL, whatever): quick, optimised
other server-driven DB stuff: quick, optimised (generally).

You can access MySQL through Perl I believe, but you'll probably need some
extra stuff for it. In ASP I suppose you'd have to use ODBC to access SQL
servers. I highly recommend using MySQL and PHP, they're a powerfull
combination.

KAH

syntax

Sep 14, 2002, 8:03pm
I'll be using MySQL... ;-)
Thanks guys.
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

baron

Sep 14, 2002, 8:15pm
A couple of links you might find useful for your DB administration:
http://www.anse.de/mysqlfront/
http://phpmyadmin.sourceforge.net/

-Baron

[View Quote]

baron

Sep 14, 2002, 8:32pm
Duh...just checked the MySQL Front link and the project is discontinued; I downloaded the latest version (2.4) just last week, email me if you want it even though phpMyAdmin is more than adequate .

-Baron