Psst...New Search Engine (General Discussion)

Psst...New Search Engine // General Discussion

1  |

john

Aug 20, 2002, 9:06am
http://www.zenith-studios.com/search/

:D << Made it

Please submit any urls you may have

eep

Aug 20, 2002, 10:50am
Psst, Google's better.

[View Quote] > http://www.zenith-studios.com/search/

"eep" <eepNOSPAM at tnlc.com> wrote in news:3D6235B6.696954F at tnlc.com:

> Psst, Google's better.

tsk, FAST Search & Transfer all the way!

KAH

shred

Aug 20, 2002, 4:36pm
Not to be pessimistic here, but any attempt at starting a new search engine is most likely doomed to failure. The internet already has fifty zillion search engines, and Google just about knocks the stuffing out of all of them.

[View Quote]

john

Aug 20, 2002, 5:02pm
Heh,, dont forget this! If you read some comp mag. a new one just started
too :-)

Google 0wnz The search engine world :P

shred

Aug 20, 2002, 5:50pm
.... which is what I said.

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 20, 2002, 6:16pm
Huh? Never heard of it...and there's a reason for that--because it most likely sucks. ;)

[View Quote] > "eep" <eepNOSPAM at tnlc.com> wrote in news:3D6235B6.696954F at tnlc.com:

> tsk, FAST Search & Transfer all the way!

I was merly backing up your standpoint :)

[View Quote]

shred

Aug 20, 2002, 8:24pm
According to Google (boy, the irony's so thick you could cut it with a knife), he's referring to http://www.fastsearch.com

It actually has Flash components on its first page, so that's a huge mark down in my book. Search engines don't need to be flashy; they need to be efficient.

"Search engine" doesn't necessarily mean it's using a bots and
spiders.

There are search engines that do not try to compete with
Google or Altavista, like Yahoo and Northernlight. Some have
have revisors, some use own cached pages, some are strictly
theme specific.

I think, a search engine for VR and/or 3D related pages where
someone verifies the submitted start page before they are
added to the search pool would be interesting.

Especially spider driven search engines are full with crap
from people who try to pull visitors with wrong filled tags
in the HTML header. Especially the "big" search engines earn
money for placing sponsored links in the first hits, so the
first 20 are often not the most relevant but the most paying
web sites. Statistics show that most people who don't specify
their search exactly and receive tons of results stop browsing
after a few result pages.

This is a big chance for themed and categorized search engines
with moderated contents.

For some examples how different web search engines can be,
visit CUSI at http://cusi.emnet.co.uk/ or (a fancy german
version) http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/misc/cusi.html, a better
"search portal" than any bot driven engine.

I doubt that John even has the slightest chance to compete
with any bot search engine, they usually have more main memory
than most of us have HD space - but theme specific ... we'll
see what happens - good luck, John :)

"shred" <alexraven at nospam.1starnet.com> wrote in
news:3d62c1a9 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> According to Google (boy, the irony's so thick you could cut it with a
> knife), he's referring to http://www.fastsearch.com
>
> It actually has Flash components on its first page, so that's a huge
> mark down in my book. Search engines don't need to be flashy; they
> need to be efficient.

Actually, you found the corporate site of FAST, not their search engine.
Their searchengine is located at http://alltheweb.com and is very efficient
and has won awards and stuff. You'll also find many other sites using their
search engine, like Tripod. I prefer it over Google, but they're pretty
equal (even though it seems like Google are starting to become biased,
offering better ranking for money), a search for PHP returned pretty much
the same results on both engines on the first page.

KAH

agent1

Aug 21, 2002, 12:35pm
[View Quote] Anything that Google got money for showing is clearly marked as a "Sponsored
Link". Those don't change the rankings of their "real" results, but are
displayed around them.

-Agent1

shred

Aug 21, 2002, 2:09pm
My search results via Google seem to be evenly distributed when I search for different key words that bring in quite a few results. If Google's taking bribes, I can't tell.