MS V-Chat (General Discussion)

MS V-Chat // General Discussion

1  |

pc hamster

Jul 21, 2002, 7:41pm
Hi everyone:

I just downloaded a neat little program (at least I *hope* I did) called
V-chat from Microsoft. I'm wondering if it's worth keeping or not....

So far I can't even connect to the main server, which is
vchatsrv.microsoft.com

Anyone know of any other servers in the MS V-Chat universe???

Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick

"pc hamster" <pchamster at email.msn.com> wrote in news:3d3b2a82
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I just downloaded a neat little program (at least I *hope* I did) called
> V-chat from Microsoft. I'm wondering if it's worth keeping or not....
>
> So far I can't even connect to the main server, which is
> vchatsrv.microsoft.com
>
> Anyone know of any other servers in the MS V-Chat universe???
>
> Cheers for now everyone :-)

vchatsrv.microsoft.com is an alias for chat.msn.com, and here the
traceroute fails after being routed through the Swedish net, so I don't
know what's up with the server. If it's Microsoft and it doesn't work,
chuck it in the bin lol

KAH

tony m

Jul 22, 2002, 12:30am
V-Chat is ancient. It's nothing like AW; I'd scrap it if you can't
evne connect now.

On 21 Jul 2002 17:41:22 -0400, "pc hamster" <pchamster at email.msn.com>
[View Quote] >Hi everyone:

>I just downloaded a neat little program (at least I *hope* I did) called
>V-chat from Microsoft. I'm wondering if it's worth keeping or not....
>
>So far I can't even connect to the main server, which is
>vchatsrv.microsoft.com
>
>Anyone know of any other servers in the MS V-Chat universe???
>
>Cheers for now everyone :-)
>
>Patrick

- TonyM.
"The only time Microsoft will ever make something that doesn't suck is when Microsoft makes a vacuum cleaner."

builderz

Jul 22, 2002, 12:43am
I've been waiting for someone to mention V-Chat here. ;) V-Chat,
unfortunately, has run its course. It has been off-line for at least a
year I believe. It was more of a 2D or "semi-3D" program than a 3D one.
Let's just say that the graphics were no where near AW 2.x graphics, and
V-Chat was much slower than AW. You could edit a world from a bunch of
templates, but you really couldn't move things around much or do
anything remotely similar to AW's building features. About the only
similarities were 2D chat and avatars. ;) Looking past its flaws, it was
a great program in its "hay day." I have many fond memories using it
with my friends from years ago. However, I highly doubt MS will bring
back the main server.

-Builderz

[View Quote]

mh

Jul 23, 2002, 5:01pm
Tried it about 4 or 5 years ago for approx. 2 days then deleted it.

Reminded me of a comic strip.