Movies and other picture formats? (Wishlist)

Movies and other picture formats? // Wishlist

1  |

chris cat

Aug 14, 2003, 3:44am
This feature should be added

the abillity to add avi and mpeg onto a picture object (not swf, swfs and
cause auto spawn pop ups X_X)

such as:

apply movie ___.avi/.mpeg

and as for other pic formats...

we should have Bitmaps! heh, just kidding :P
the formats im thinking of are Compuserve GIFs(.gif), Portable Network
Graphics (.png), Truevision Targas (.tga), and Raster Image Files (.ras)
just a few suggestions

joeman

Aug 14, 2003, 10:17am
Roland added .png support before, and it added something like a meg onto the
browser. Bad idea. Unless gifs are animated, they suck compared to JPGs...
..tga is a worthless format only used in some games. As for .ras... why? Do
we have a few sun systems we'd like to export graphics from?

-Joe

"chris cat" <masada11 at hotmail.com> wrote in news:3f3b21db$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> This feature should be added
>
> the abillity to add avi and mpeg onto a picture object (not swf, swfs and
> cause auto spawn pop ups X_X)
>
> such as:
>
> apply movie ___.avi/.mpeg
>
> and as for other pic formats...
>
> we should have Bitmaps! heh, just kidding :P
> the formats im thinking of are Compuserve GIFs(.gif), Portable Network
> Graphics (.png), Truevision Targas (.tga), and Raster Image Files (.ras)
> just a few suggestions

We have bitmaps. You just have to zip them.

The only formats worth adding would be PNG, MNG (animated PNG) and DDS
(it's a special texture format for use with 3D rendering, very versatile).

GIF is old and crappy, even the patent has expired now.
What are we going to do with targa? Not any advantages I can see.
And as Joeman said, where are all the SUN boxes you want to export textures
from?

Instead of using old, obsolete formats, lets use the formats of the future.

KAH

codewarrior

Aug 14, 2003, 10:53am
[View Quote] Every time I have to manually zip a mask for an image, I curse the lack of
support for a format with an embedded mask.

The fact is that it's a pain in the ass to have to create a mask seperately
as
a .bmp and then zip it with a different name while the .jpg that goes with
it
is not zipped.

Most companies spend a lot of effort trying to make it easier for new
users to use the product. An extra meg of code in the executable is
well spent if it saves users time.

How much is it worth to save one minute of time every time every world
owner wants to create a masked image? Forget the extra minutes that will
be saved correcting the mistakes made in one of the 5 or 6 things you have
to get right to create a masked image now. 2,000 worlds.. 5 times a year
apiece.. that's 10,000 minutes a year right there.

Personally, I'd eat the extra meg in the browser to have .png support

> Unless gifs are animated, they suck compared to JPGs...

... or unless you use the fact that they have a transparent color.. or the
fact
that a pallette based gif is much, much much smaller than a .jpg when you
don't need photo quality images.

> .tga is a worthless format only used in some games.

Yeah.. it's pretty old in the tooth.. but it does support a mask, and it's
dead easy to support that format. It compresses well in .zip files too.
One or 2K of normal code, 10 or 20K of windows code to decode
a targa file.

[View Quote] w00t, go JPEG2K.

No of SETI units returned: 69
Processing time: 57 days, 10 hours.