Newsgroups and Auth Rights (Wishlist)

Newsgroups and Auth Rights // Wishlist

I wish we had the power to remove our own posts from a newsgroup.

- Mark

technozeus

Nov 22, 2002, 11:04pm
So do I... or at least to edit them if nobody has already posted a reply.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Nov 23, 2002, 12:05am
I agree.

worked for me in the AW newsgroup when I last tried it.
I will post this twize and then try to remove one, so if
there are two identical replies, it is disabled now.

(second one)

It seems to me as if it has worked

I see it but it does not give me the option to cancel

Hmm, OE says I cannot cancel it?

technozeus

Nov 23, 2002, 7:59pm
How exactly did you go about deleting it, and in what program?

TechnoZeus

"technozeus" <TechnoZeus at techie.com> wrote in
news:3ddffa3f$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> How exactly did you go about deleting it, and in what program?

You send a cancel-message. Most newsreaders have the option to do this,
including OE I think. Most servers don't honour cancels though, and some
even delete them. If they aren't deleted, some newsreaders may honour them
locally anyway.

KAH

technozeus

Nov 24, 2002, 2:22am
Well, Outlook Express says right in it's help files that you can't delete a post from the news server with it... but if you know of a way that it can, please tell me. Documentation isn't always right. :)

TechnoZeus

NetScape 4.x :

Right-click the message and choose "Cancel" from the context menu

btw.: if you can switch your newsreader to show the message header,
you can often see which program has been used.
In your message it says this :