Sound Alert (Wishlist)

Sound Alert // Wishlist

1  |

barbarae

Apr 29, 2002, 12:44pm
Since I've only just joined this group, please forgive me if this "wish"
has already been covered:

Sometimes I'm doing email or something else or even AFK with AW in the
background. I would like to have some sort of sound alert when somebody
comes into AW and wants to speak with me. I really am not certain how or
even if it could be done. I don't know how many times I go back to AW
window and find that someone has been to see me.

I have another suggestion, but I will do another post for it.

Thanks,
Barbara Eisner
Amberlin

silenced

Apr 29, 2002, 5:40pm
Xelagots have a feature that you can enable to use a sound of your choice to
play when someone comes near the bot or enters the world. Hope that helps
:)

--Bowen--

Have $3... want a website?
http://www.smartpenguin.com/affiliate.php?id=12

[View Quote]

chazrad

May 23, 2002, 11:29am
"barbarae" <barbeisner at msn.com> wrote in news:3ccd5c5f$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Since I've only just joined this group, please forgive me if this "wish"
> has already been covered:
>
> Sometimes I'm doing email or something else or even AFK with AW in the
> background. I would like to have some sort of sound alert when somebody
> comes into AW and wants to speak with me. I really am not certain how or
> even if it could be done. I don't know how many times I go back to AW
> window and find that someone has been to see me.
>
> I have another suggestion, but I will do another post for it.
>
> Thanks,
> Barbara Eisner
> Amberlin

you need to program a bot to respond to a name by playing a wav. i myself
use the name prefixed by a * to prevent the thing wav.ing all over the
place :)

thats it? Most people wouldent even waste the bandwidth to transfer it 2 u,

[View Quote]

chazrad

May 23, 2002, 5:08pm
at least you wasted enough bandwidth responding to me, why not waste some
more and give her a better answer?
"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3ced2bfb at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> thats it? Most people wouldent even waste the bandwidth to transfer it
> 2 u,

okay. here is it in basic VB...

if instr(sdk.awchatmessage,Youname) then
beep
end if :)

Get someone to put the equivilent of that in for u

[View Quote]

chazrad

May 24, 2002, 6:56pm
will only work for you if you're running the bot, not when you r
not......

back to the drawing board :)

"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3cee7824 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> okay. here is it in basic VB...
>
> if instr(sdk.awchatmessage,Youname) then
> beep
> end if :)
>
> Get someone to put the equivilent of that in for u

well if your not running the bot your talking a direct IP connection bot
network linked to yourself and to the host.. which just made it go up from
about 1 line of code to............ about 200, unless you do a whole lotta
hooking stuff and read the text in the browser (difficult)

[View Quote]

chazrad

May 25, 2002, 2:45pm
then check if it's not just your name coming up in conversation (so it wont
make sound all over the place), allowing for others to also want to be
acknowledged, maintaining a database who you don't want to make sounds, the
code to find the wavplayer and keeping track of it, not wanting to have 1
bot for every person in your world......

i think 200000 lines (including the dbinterface and the ui) is more
appropriate

but hey what do i know, the bot i use plays a predescribed sound for each
individual (with an upper limit of 2000.0000.000 different people) )for
those the caretaker allows it, or a default sound to those that caretaker
allows it and no sound for those that are not on the list. In this way it
can even play your own voice or the voice of the one that calls you.

"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:3cef694f at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> well if your not running the bot your talking a direct IP connection
> bot network linked to yourself and to the host.. which just made it go
> up from about 1 line of code to............ about 200, unless you do a
> whole lotta hooking stuff and read the text in the browser (difficult)

thats bordering on insane, lol, nice job though :)

chazrad

May 25, 2002, 5:46pm
"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in news:3cefcc73
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> thats bordering on insane, lol, nice job though :)

feel free to join my testprogram :)