Running AW through Linux? // Sdk

1  |

bastillion

Jul 27, 2004, 2:17pm
Forgive me if this sounds naive.. but I've been following the newsgroup for
awhile, and I think I understand.. correct me if I'm wrong... :)

The SDK isn't for allowing someone to actually RUN AW (browse worlds, build,
chat, etc) in Linux (or other OS)..
...but instead allows someone to create helper applications in those other
OS.. correct?

I have been talking with someone who would like to run AW, but he's a Linux
user.

If someone could point me to docs about running AW through Linux (if it
really is possible) I would appreciate the help.

Bastillion (AW Universe)

chrispeg

Jul 27, 2004, 5:20pm
"bastillion" <bastillion at charter.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:41068033$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Forgive me if this sounds naive.. but I've been following the newsgroup
for
> awhile, and I think I understand.. correct me if I'm wrong... :)
>
> The SDK isn't for allowing someone to actually RUN AW (browse worlds,
build,
> chat, etc) in Linux (or other OS)..
> ..but instead allows someone to create helper applications in those other
> OS.. correct?

Yes, you are correct. The SDK, the universe and the world serves are
available to run on -nix platforms, but the browser is not. Thanks to Andras
at this place again, for porting the SDK to linux recently!

> I have been talking with someone who would like to run AW, but he's a
Linux
> user.
>
> If someone could point me to docs about running AW through Linux (if it
> really is possible) I would appreciate the help.

Linux has a Windows emulation software called WINE. Not all parts can be
emulated, though, but the 3D window, the chat and other main parts should
work. One has to be experienced on Windows and on Linux to set up a propper
and rather complex emulation environment, though.

If someone knows of an easy way how to run a complex application like the
browser on linux (WINE or another emulation), I would appreciate it very
much too :-)

Chris

> Bastillion (AW Universe)

jerme

Jul 28, 2004, 2:57am
I've heard that this *can* be done, given enough determination and a
little will-power.

Unfortunatly, there isn't a good how-to doc, or any documentation for
that matter, specificly for setting up the AW browser on linux.

The only place I know to point you is to the WinE (the emulator chrispeg
already mentioned) site. You should be able to find everything you need
to know about setting up WinE at http://www.winehq.com/. You can then
setup AW from there.

If you get it to work, try to document what you do or keep a record and
report back on your success. :-)

G'luck :-)

Regards,
Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster
JTech Web Systems
www.JTechWebSystems.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34

[View Quote]

ep0ch

Jul 29, 2004, 10:09am
WineX would be a much better solution as it is more stable than Wine its
self. Downside: you have have a membership to the site. Running mIRC in Wine
is a challenge enough but with all the bugs in AW I dont see how it'll last
for long.

-Ep0ch

[View Quote]

themask

Jul 29, 2004, 7:52pm
You don't even need to run mIRC in Wine. Just run XChat, or BitchX.