what the? (Community)

what the? // Community

1  |

alexthemartian

Mar 15, 2004, 4:41am
why did i get 17 emails!!! with attachments (luclkily all filtered out
by my virus scan) all from my own domain or my domains's NS? and some of
them had my cit name in the address.. i did get 4 that the from addresss
that are nothing to do with me or my domain, that is
133243elykkfoerst at sbcglobal.net and
60220ferrucciostartrek3 at earthlink.net and
60310xelagxelag at digitalspace.com and
133194starfleetStarfleet at Command.com

17 emails! that is a lot! anyone can tell me how i can stop people from
doing this? and am i the only one getting these or did anyone else get
an email from virtual-studios.net or
server1.Activeworlds.com.aventurehosting.co.uk ?? and if you did get an
email from those 2 domains i just want to let people know that they are
fake emails and i did not send them!!!

here are the headers from the first fo the 17 emails (the others are
about the same).. the only thing i see that is not my domain or NS is
VAIO.org part (the other 17 vary from VAIO.com, VAIO.net, VAIO.org) and
the VAIO thing is on the 4 that are from other peoples domains too

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 05:25:33 -0500
To: 133113alexthemartianalex at virtual-studios.net
Subject: Important notify
From: staff at virtual-studios.net
ry

Mar 15, 2004, 10:19am
To help Active Worlds Incorporated better catch the source of these E-Mails,
Forward the e-mail (without attachment) making sure there is a FULL Header
(so they can track the email)...

Also,
send a copy to your Internet Service Provider (aswell as AWI)... your ISP
should have an Abuse at ......... email address :)
If we all do this, we may be able to filter out the bad.

--

Ry
#323710

ry

Mar 15, 2004, 10:22am
abuse at activeworlds.com

for abuse forwardings.

alexthemartian

Mar 15, 2004, 11:33pm
it is from my domain, not my isp

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Mar 16, 2004, 3:09am
Actually one of the recent virus' can spoof domains. So say you work at
workplace.com and you get emails from info at workplace.com gas at workplace.com
waterhole at workplace.com ... all likely not even legitimate emails for that
domain but this virus is able to spoof it from users computers that have a
legitimate workplace.com email ... I've seen this on my own domain (for
emails that don't even exist) as well as domains where I work etc because my
email address is in *other's computers* ... and not even necessarily
associated with the domains in question. I've had to warn my co-workers not
to open any emails from our domain that is not a legit one.

And of course these non-legit emails have a payload in an attachment. Best
not to open them and even more so turn OFF Preview Pane in your email
progy!!!

LNH