Another E-mail Virus... Mimail Variant (Community)

Another E-mail Virus... Mimail Variant // Community

1  |

zeofatex

Jan 27, 2004, 6:19pm
Hehe, new e-mail virus. It's spreading like wildfire... my mom got it, and I
slapped her hand when she almost opened it hehe. I moved it onto my linux
computer and virus scanned it -- WORM_MIMAIL.R -- the new "MyDoom" Virus --
W32/Mydoom at MM

The e-mail I got it in had subject TEST, now body and an attached file
TEXT.zip and inside was TEXT.scr with a notepad icon. (Making it look like a
text file.)

http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5147605.html?tag=cd_lede
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100983

a.. contains its own SMTP engine to construct outgoing messages
a.. contains a backdoor component (see below)
a.. contains a Denial of Service payload

Subject: (Varies, such as)
a.. Error
b.. Status
c.. Server Report
d.. Mail Transaction Failed
e.. Mail Delivery System
f.. hello
g.. hi
archive) (22,528 bytes)

a.. examples (common names, but can be random)
b.. doc.bat
c.. document.zip
d.. message.zip
e.. readme.zip
f.. text.pif
g.. hello.cmd
h.. body.scr
i.. test.htm.pif
j.. data.txt.exe
k.. file.scr

zeofatex

Jan 27, 2004, 6:47pm
*no body

baro

Jan 27, 2004, 7:29pm
I really don't understand how these viruses infect anyone. Who the hell
would open something like that? It's like getting a package in the mail
containing a gun with a note "I promise this gun is not loaded, if you put
it in your mouth and pull the trigger you'll get a rock hard errection, get
to work from home and make up to 100 grand a year, and enlarge your breasts
naturaly". Anyone who pulled the trigger is just helping thin our the
herd...

If you pull the trigger you WILL get a rock hard errection... they will
errect a rock tombstone above your grave saying 'stupid' on it.

- Mark R
PS: Errection not in Outlook Dictionary

[View Quote]

zeofatex

Jan 27, 2004, 7:53pm
A lot of people aren't dumb, just computer illiterate. If I sent you a
package I'm sure you'd open it and see what's inside heh. Even if it's not
yours. If you read the subjects, some of them are "Mail Transaction Failed"
and "Mail Delivery System" which are COMMON errors and almost always include
the e-mail sent as an attachment.

Most of the time these viruses are from people you know (they harvest all
e-mail addresses on the computer). How many times have you received a
present from a friend and just tore it open..., even if it's something you
had no clue what it was. I can't tell you how many (stupid) chain mails I've
gotten that were sent as attachments... (not neccessarily in zip files with
..scr as an extension lol).

So should the police stand around and say "HAHA IDIOTS, THE GUY WAS POINTING
A GUN AT YOU AND YOU DID NOTHING!!!" and people wind up dead, because they
were dumb enough not to do anything? That's not the point of the police,
which is to PREVENT things like that from happening. Viruses aren't guns...
if you see a gun it's pretty damn obvious, however a virus can look like
anything heh.

I'm just trying to help out, and this was of relative importance considering
it's even in the newspapers in bigass letters.

[View Quote]

baro

Jan 27, 2004, 7:57pm
actualy to be fair I got a mail delivery error today and almost went to look
at the attachment but it was from a domain I've never sent an email to (I
don't send a lot of emails) so I decided not to.

Also I notice a lot of windows users like to hide file extentions, about 99%
of viruses could be avoided by just looking at the extention.

binarybud

Jan 27, 2004, 8:03pm
good point Baro Extensions are your friend...:)

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Jan 29, 2004, 7:40pm
Ohh that's the one that's gonna attack SCO ^_^

[View Quote] > Hehe, new e-mail virus. It's spreading like wildfire... my mom got it, and I