Small Clarification... (Community)

Small Clarification... // Community

1  |

serac

Nov 25, 2003, 12:34am
If anyone here is a little confused by the [overly capitalized] posts =
regarding some bizarre pop-up conspiracy regarding the various =
message-passing services...

Windows Messenger and the Messenger Service are different programs.

Windows Messenger is a built-in version of MSN Messenger that provides =
access to the .NET Messenger Service as well as other "communications =
services." It, from my experience, runs cleaner than the MSN version =
and seems to have better voice chat support. YMMV. If you use another =
IM client (MSN or Trillian), you can safely uninstall Windows Messenger =
with no loss of functionallity in other IM clients and Windows.

The Messenger Service allows 'net send' and Alerter messages to be =
transferred between computers for administrative purposes. It has no =
connection with the .NET Messenger Service that both Windows Messenger =
and MSN Messenger use. If you do not need to send or receive 'net send' =
or Alerter messages, you can safely disable the Messenger Service. =
Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger will still function normally.

Remember: if you don't run the software, uninstall it or don't install =
it in the first place.

Have a good day,

-- Serac

ssl.

Nov 25, 2003, 1:04am
If you suspected some major activity in the aw community, would you have
capitalized it?

A msn messenger is the primary IM ive used ever since i got this computer

B only until November 15 did i first see signs of pop ups while using aw.
You really think pop ups just..POP out of nowhere at random months?
[View Quote] Windows Messenger and the Messenger Service are different programs.

[...]

zeofatex

Nov 25, 2003, 1:11am
The company must get your IP before they can send you the random popups...
either that or they have robots randomly sending net send messages. i.e. net
send 1.1.1.1 to 999.999.999.999. Also, they'll keep doing it once they send
the message because your computer sends some sort of responce "The message
was sent successfully." -- The robot adds it to a contact list and voila,
instant 10000 popups that you must click OK to a day.

"ssl." <gold at midtech.net> wrote in
news:3fc2c6c7 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> If you suspected some major activity in the aw community, would you
> have capitalized it?
>
> A msn messenger is the primary IM ive used ever since i got this
> computer
>
> B only until November 15 did i first see signs of pop ups while using
> aw. You really think pop ups just..POP out of nowhere at random
> months?

They don't pop out of nowhere, but I promise you, they won't be popping out
of AW. Pay attention to what people have said and look for spyware on your
system.

By the way, didn't you disable the messenger service? Isn't it striking
that you now have stopped receiving these popups...

KAH

codewarrior

Nov 25, 2003, 2:56pm
> send 1.1.1.1 to 999.999.999.999

I guess someone isn't nearly as tech savvy as they let on....

"Said the blind man to his deaf son as the man with no legs got
up and walked away."

I kinda had to look at that for 5 minutes before I realised what the hell
those numbers were (meant) to be

- MR

[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 25, 2003, 6:52pm
[View Quote] Clearly they're in IP format. 999.999.999.999 isn't a proper one though,
although 1.1.1.1 is.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

isnt the lowest kinda 10.0.0.1? On Class A.? Not sure...

128.0.0.1 though 255.254.254?

- MR

[View Quote]

andras

Nov 25, 2003, 8:02pm
[View Quote] > isnt the lowest kinda 10.0.0.1? On Class A.? Not sure...

> 128.0.0.1 though 255.254.254?
>
> - MR

0.0.0.0 - 2.255.255.255 - IANA reserved
3.0.0.0 - 3.255.255.255 - General Electric
4.0.0.0 - 4.255.255.255 - Genuity

I guess you can do the same ARIN lookup before you make "comments" :)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

codewarrior

Nov 25, 2003, 8:27pm
maybe he meant:

3D7:3D7::3D7:3D7

[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 25, 2003, 8:38pm
[View Quote] KAH and I agree, IPv6 is ugly.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.

ssl.

Nov 26, 2003, 3:44pm
Mmm..yeah it is.
But it must've been when i installed Ad-aware.

and btw..i still have msn6.1 running

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Nov 26, 2003, 4:01pm
[View Quote] "Messenger" is not the same as the MSN messenger service. The Messenger
service itself is used on a network for an admin or otherwise to send
information regarding network/company events/whatever.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideas.