AWNews Domain (Community)

AWNews Domain // Community

If you look at the RentRight v. WWM case, you'll see that's the exact
reason RentRight didn't win. If they can't win for not having a TM or an
SM, even when the other two conditions were met, then neither can we.

But who knows? Perhaps someone else set a different precedent that
changed things. Unfortunately, since I just recently moved, I haven't
had time to get to know any "lawyer friends". Perhaps Facter or ABP
could look into this?

As for what a service mark is, here's a definition I found:

A service mark is a name, symbol, word, or combination of 2 or more of
these that a person displays or otherwise uses to advertise or sell
services that the person performs to identify those services that the
person performs and to distinguish them from services that another
person performs. Examples of service marks: Wendy's (restaurant
services); Waxie Maxie (retail phonograph record store service); COMPUSA
(retail and wholesale computer services).

The only problem is that it sounds like you can only use the SM for
commercial use, but again I'm not sure. The site I found doesn't say
whether it's retroactive or not. We need to get a lawyer in here! :P

Never around when you actually *do* need them...
robrod at prism.net

alphabit phalpha

Sep 21, 2002, 12:14pm
Working on it from the net:)
Not sure what Facter found out.
facter?:)

[View Quote] But who knows? Perhaps someone else set a different precedent that

robrod at prism.net

"joeman" <joeman at bootdown.com> wrote in
news:3d8ba43b at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> ? :o

We know what you did last summer...

KAH

alphabit phalpha

Sep 21, 2002, 10:19pm
LOL

[View Quote] > ? :o

We know what you did last summer...

KAH

facter

Sep 22, 2002, 7:51am
:

> A service mark is a name, symbol, word, or combination of 2 or more of
> these that a person displays or otherwise uses to advertise or sell
> services that the person performs to identify those services that the
> person performs and to distinguish them from services that another
> person performs. Examples of service marks: Wendy's (restaurant
> services); Waxie Maxie (retail phonograph record store service); COMPUSA
> (retail and wholesale computer services).
>
> The only problem is that it sounds like you can only use the SM for
> commercial use, but again I'm not sure. The site I found doesn't say
> whether it's retroactive or not. We need to get a lawyer in here! :P

I'll be asking a friend sometime this week, we;re going to have noodles
sometime and i'll describe it to him then...he does corporate law, no
info..so if he doesnt know, then he'll probably have a look into it for me
with some other friends...

F.

themask 13

Sep 23, 2002, 5:22pm
Hey goob, you are in RI, and you arent that far away from me, maybe a hour
or a half away ;-)

Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure to bolt the doors. ;P

If he can get through RI traffic, that is! *cackle*
robrod at prism.net