World AW IP Change, and AWMapper down. (General Discussion)

World AW IP Change, and AWMapper down. // General Discussion

1  |

bastillion

May 27, 2003, 11:11pm
(Cross posted to Community and General.Discussion)

Well.. that was an unexpected annoyance...

Apparently, they moved the World AW to a new server sometime today, and the
IP address changed for it.
Why does this concern me?

My firewall software wouldn't let me connect to world AW.. but it did let me
into AWGate.

I had to find the new addy, adjust my firewall.. not really that hard to
do, but would have been nice of AW to let us know that they were doing to do
that! :)

And.. in the process of doing that... apparently they have taken down the
AWmapper..

http://mapper.activeworlds.com only returns DNS errors now. :-P

Nice of them to let us know they would do that too.. and they really need to
change their website now as well.. since they still have it linked there.

Bastillion
The Bastion (aw 1206n 7750w)
www.geocities.com/basti_02/index.html

"bastillion" <bastillion at charter.net> wrote in
news:3ed40cda$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Apparently, they moved the World AW to a new server sometime today,
> and the IP address changed for it.
> Why does this concern me?
>
> My firewall software wouldn't let me connect to world AW.. but it did
> let me into AWGate.
>
> I had to find the new addy, adjust my firewall.. not really that hard
> to do, but would have been nice of AW to let us know that they were
> doing to do that! :)

It's quite normal for servers to change their IP address, that's why you
have the DNS system. You obviously use completely insane firewall rules, so
you do not have grounds to complain about anything.

Give them a day or two to fix DNS problems and move everything (the mapper
stuff takes up a lot of space, you know).

KAH

john

May 28, 2003, 6:09pm
Ya, & dns takes a while to update I believe.

[View Quote]

jerme

May 28, 2003, 7:21pm
DNS does not always take time to update.

A DNS record has a "TTL" (a Time To Live). This is how long it will persist
in the cache of other DNS servers. This value can be anything from 1 second
to several weeks. Smaller values increase the load on your DNS server
(obviously more lookups are needed), but smaller values also allow you to
update and switch IP addresses more quickly.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster