http://www.alicebot.org/ Alice java open source ChatterBot technology. // Sdk

1  |

calt exec

Jan 5, 2000, 1:44pm
Hello,

I wanted to mention to your attention the Alice chatterbot technology.

Have a look at it and its demo.

Alice
http://www.alicebot.org/
Artificial LInguistic Computer Entity
ALICE chat robot technology is java open source, and relies on AIML
(Artificial Intelligence Markup Language), an XML specification for
programming chat robots.

If (when) I have the time, I will try to integrate this technology with
the AW sdk java encapsulation AWJavaBot
(http://www.insead.fr/CALT/Project/AWJavaBots/).
But if some people are interested to do it, they are welcome.

Thierry Nabeth
INSEAD CALT
http://www.insead.fr/CALT/

concept

Jan 8, 2000, 1:58pm
Oh no. Bots that carry on conversations. Great. Hey.. i have an idea. Let's
just replace humans with Bots huh? Who needs people to talk with with real
ideas... when you've got Bots with pre-programmed
say-the-same-thing-every-time minds? It's a great idea. Yep.

concept

Jan 8, 2000, 2:01pm
I wont say that that tech cant be used with like 4 year olds who just need
someone to talk to.. But that Alice isn't all that great. It takes what you
say, and changes it to first or 3rd person most of the time. Or it say I
agree. It's really fake. And it usally says gibberish when it changes
things to 1st or 3rd person. I dont know why anyone would waste their
valuable time converting this to an AW bot.

calt exec

Jan 10, 2000, 4:40pm
Concept,

I have never pretended that conversationnal bot are very smart, and can
now be compared to human.
Actually, I personally do not very like the interaction that are only
conversational. (I prefere that a bot do something rather than talk).

However, you should know, if you were aware of what is being done in this
domain, that one of the first use of conversational bot is to provide
a more anthropomorphist interface to information (such as a FAQ, etc.).
So they can bring some value. Indeed you can not expect a real human being
be 24 hours a day and 7 days a week present to answer to your questions !

say, and changes it to first or 3rd person most of the time.

That is not true.
This kind of (Eliza type of) behaviour has appeared to you because your
where expecting too much from this bot.
You have a lot of "rules" coded in the Alice "knowledge base".

Actually, Alice is a technology (plus a basic knowledge base), and it is this is
up
to the designer to enter the "knowlegde" he/she wants Alice to answer.

> I dont know why anyone would waste their
> valuable time converting this to an AW bot.

Because they can spend more time than if they had to reinvent the wheel,
and besides they can expect to create in the future "knowledge bases" that
can be reuse by different bots. (which is something almost impossible if you
hard code your behaviour).

Alice bot is very far from being perfect, and in particular the "pattern
matching"
mechanism is very limited when compared to other systems.
However provides you a reasonably working knowledge base as a starting point,
and all the code is open. (so if you are not satisfied you can change it).

So, I believe that some people (of course not everybody), and in particular the
non-programmers
can be interested by this system.

You should forget a little bit the dreams that artificial intelligence has
promissed you,
and just ask the question if this system can be usefull (create value).
For me, the answer is "potentially yet", even if on the long term I believe in
rather different,
but much more complex solution, (such as evolutionary psychology and the likes).

Thierry

Thierry Nabeth
INSEAD CALT
http://www.insead.fr/CALT/

[View Quote]

tsylos

Feb 9, 2000, 3:37pm
I've just finished a C implementation of Alice in AW. I'll post it in a
few more
days if anyone is interested.

[View Quote] > Concept,

> I have never pretended that conversationnal bot are very smart, and can
> now be compared to human.
> Actually, I personally do not very like the interaction that are only
> conversational. (I prefere that a bot do something rather than talk).
>
> However, you should know, if you were aware of what is being done in this
> domain, that one of the first use of conversational bot is to provide
> a more anthropomorphist interface to information (such as a FAQ, etc.).
> So they can bring some value. Indeed you can not expect a real human being
> be 24 hours a day and 7 days a week present to answer to your questions !
>
> say, and changes it to first or 3rd person most of the time.
>
> That is not true.
> This kind of (Eliza type of) behaviour has appeared to you because your
> where expecting too much from this bot.
> You have a lot of "rules" coded in the Alice "knowledge base".
>
> Actually, Alice is a technology (plus a basic knowledge base), and it is this is
> up
> to the designer to enter the "knowlegde" he/she wants Alice to answer.
>

> Because they can spend more time than if they had to reinvent the wheel,
> and besides they can expect to create in the future "knowledge bases" that
> can be reuse by different bots. (which is something almost impossible if you
> hard code your behaviour).
>
> Alice bot is very far from being perfect, and in particular the "pattern
> matching"
> mechanism is very limited when compared to other systems.
> However provides you a reasonably working knowledge base as a starting point,
> and all the code is open. (so if you are not satisfied you can change it).
>
> So, I believe that some people (of course not everybody), and in particular the
> non-programmers
> can be interested by this system.
>
> You should forget a little bit the dreams that artificial intelligence has
> promissed you,
> and just ask the question if this system can be usefull (create value).
> For me, the answer is "potentially yet", even if on the long term I believe in
> rather different,
> but much more complex solution, (such as evolutionary psychology and the likes).
>
> Thierry
>
> Thierry Nabeth
> INSEAD CALT
> http://www.insead.fr/CALT/