Newsgroup Email Harvesting (General Discussion)

Newsgroup Email Harvesting // General Discussion

1  |

wizard myrddin

Nov 4, 2002, 4:12pm
Hi all

Since I only use this email account with activeworlds and nowhere else in
the last week myself and other are receiving a vast amount of porn related
spam, using the email address provided on aw newsgroups.

This tracing is confirmed by others also receiving porn related
material.using account with this newsgroup/s.

Although is cannot be ruled out that it might be a related topic to some
peoples stand against a certain organisation it is def confirmed that the
email address where taken from aw newsgroups.

A article is availble to mung you email address located at:

http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html#how-mung

brant

Nov 4, 2002, 7:30pm
Hey,

I agree that nobody should be sending unsolicited mail to your (or my)
address without permission. However, I've done some experiments in that I
created a new E-Mail address and didn't post it anywhere, and it still
received spam.

I don't worry about using spam reducing methods anymore because it takes too
much effort to get around the spammers. Sure, I could go around making up
fake addresses and spending hours getting my mail filters right and
unsubscribing to mailing lists, but in the end it's easier to simply press
delete. I get maybe 20 spam messages a day and it's easy enough to tell
which ones are spam. I just highlight the messages and delete them - it
takes maybe ten seconds.

Most spamming software can find ways around the methods that many people use
to avoid being harvested, and you'll probably still get spam no matter what
you do. Taking such steps only makes it very difficult for other newsgroup
members and for people you WANT to speak with to contact you.

Of course, you can do what you want in the end. But most likely, you'll end
up spending more time eliminating spam than it would take to simply delete
it in the first place.

Just a suggestion,

-Brant

"wizard myrddin" <Hippyring at rdescape.co.uk> wrote in
news:3dc6c6b5 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Since I only use this email account with activeworlds and nowhere else
> in the last week myself and other are receiving a vast amount of porn
> related spam, using the email address provided on aw newsgroups.
>
> This tracing is confirmed by others also receiving porn related
> material.using account with this newsgroup/s.
>

> Although is cannot be ruled out that it might be a related topic to
> some peoples stand against a certain organisation it is def confirmed
> that the email address where taken from aw newsgroups.
>
> A article is availble to mung you email address located at:
>
> http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html#how-mung

I really don't care much about SPAM anymore. Even though my mailserver
checks all incoming mail with two anti-SPAM services (RBL and ORBS) I still
get tons of it every day. I do reject the most annoying SPAM (anything that
matches words like "XXX" gets deleted) and the rest is easy to delete when
I get it. Adding SPAM-harvester fooling tricks to your email address just
makes it harder for some people to send you mail, and often the harvesters
have got clever methods for extracting the real thing. My advice is the
same as Brant's, don't bother with it, just delete it.

KAH

wizard myrddin hippyring@rdescape(dot)co(dot)uk

Nov 4, 2002, 8:14pm
You sound like you have done the same things as I have, creating email
accounts to particular places. All we do is report them as a matter of
course, this which proberly is done well before we get material.

On anti spame we use is the cloudmark program, this shares all spam you
recieve with other members on the network/Internet. so in the case if one
gets spam all are automatically informed of it and block set up.

Wiz
[View Quote]

talisan

Nov 4, 2002, 9:55pm
I created a hotmail account once, and I used it 1 time to email by boss who
had an AOL address. Now I don't know if it was because I sent that 1 email
to an AOL address, or because it was a hotmail account, but I started
getting ads on that account. I never signed up for anything and when I
filled out the selections in the hotmail newsletters I left everything
unchecked.

same thing happening to me also, someone also ordered an XCam thing, and put
the e-mail address as mine. but i e-mailed the peeps, and told them i didnt
order anything. :)

A hell of allot of Filters / Rules helps allot with that >:)

I personally have used a home made e-mail harvester type thing on this newsgroup when I lost my AW.WAB file and hence all my emails without spending years searching though every post. However if people are doing it for spam.. thats just not right :(

wizard myrddin

Nov 9, 2002, 10:25am
So true, I suppose im quite lucky to have unlimmited email alais connected
to my domains(only using about 5 emails for official purposes)

Its aways surprising to see where harvesting is taking place and for what
type of spam is recived.