[Unrelated]: POP3... (General Discussion)

[Unrelated]: POP3... // General Discussion

1  |

ren

Jun 8, 2002, 7:17pm
Though it's a bit unrelated......
Does anyone know of a good, working, free, POP3 server? <application: to run
for personal use, not a web-based account handler like hotmail or anything>

Thanks.
--
Ren

jerme

Jun 8, 2002, 8:13pm
I'm going to be setting up POP on my server soon. It won't be free, but
it'll be cheap. (A few dollars a month, in the < 5 rage).

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker

ren

Jun 8, 2002, 8:28pm
Actually, perhaps I should restate my question:
I need a program that I can run <for a POP server> from a computer, for
others, or myself to connect to and receive eMail. I've got SMTP all taken
care of, but I'm having trouble here.

--
Ren

baron

Jun 8, 2002, 8:30pm
Hamster http://www.tglsoft.de/misc/hamster_en.htm is a mail/news server that comes with source code, great for learning too if you code in Delphi.

-Baron

[View Quote]

ren

Jun 8, 2002, 11:10pm
Blech... SMTP always works for me fine. Again, with Hamster, I'm having
trouble getting the POP server to work. Actually, it's the best server I've
run into so far, yet I'm still having the problem.

If there's a solution . . .

--
Ren

dion

Jun 8, 2002, 11:58pm
What's your problem? :-P

[View Quote]

brant

Jun 9, 2002, 1:38am
The best mail server available on the Internet, in my opinion, is the
Argosoft mail server. It's completely free, extremely fast, doesn't have
any nag boxes or shareware notices, installs with a simple wizard, is
bug-free (as far as I can tell) and doesn't have any useless features that
slow the thing down.

Try going to www.argosoft.com and downloading it :)

[View Quote]

ren

Jun 9, 2002, 10:07am
I dunno :-p
Everytime I try to send mail from another eMail to the addy being hosted on
the POP server by me, it doesn't receive to the server, therefore it can't
be received by me through a mail client...The eMail I originally sent it
from doesn't even get a SubSystem Error in return...it acts like its
sent...when I check the folder that incoming mails goto on the server,
there's nothing there. o.O
--
Ren

[View Quote]

ren

Jun 9, 2002, 10:09am
Yeah, I was actually using Argosoft......I used to be able to use it and
receive mail, but not send, but now SMTP works fine, and incoming mail
doesn't transfer atall.
Maybe it's me -- I'll look around some help files.
--
Ren

"ren" <ren at scr-recordings.com> wrote in
news:3d03456f$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Yeah, I was actually using Argosoft......I used to be able to use it
> and receive mail, but not send, but now SMTP works fine, and incoming
> mail doesn't transfer atall.
> Maybe it's me -- I'll look around some help files.

Could be a firewall issue, or maybe your ISP have plugged the POP port
because they don't want you to run one...