(Re: Bug reports..) [443/452] Avatar Updates vs. Movement! (Wishlist)

(Re: Bug reports..) [443/452] Avatar Updates vs. Movement! // Wishlist

1  |

ubermonkey

Jan 12, 2003, 5:05pm
First, I know this is not the correct location for this, HOWEVER, as I am
not a beta tester, I must find some alternative way to voice this concern,
and since TZ seems to be one of the most active testers...

My information regarding this issue is limited, as I do not have access to
the versions in question - however, I have heard from my scouring of the
beta NG that AW 3.4 may be using 10 avatar updates per second, compared to
the 1/second which has been used for quite a long time (even in 3.3? I don't
know)... see (news:3e1f184b at server1.Activeworlds.com) message in beta NG
titled "Modem: Bumpety Bumpety Bumpety Bumpety *SPLAT*" ... I do not know if
this is true, however if it were, it could be at least partially accountable
for some movement problems experienced.

So, out of curiousity, 1. Does anyone know if this is true?
2. If so, has this already been addressed in some way?
3. If not, should it not be taken into consideration that the number of
incoming and outgoing avatar updates/second MUST be scaled down for those on
crawling old dialup? (for example, a simple option on first start-up:
"please select your connection speed" ... which could of course be changed
later)
4. If this is true, has any data been collected to see if the movement
problems occur under only certain system configs, for example, with dialup?

Huge numbers of update packets, such as in modern online 3d shooters, can
easily flood out the modem user (you won't find all that many dialup
connections successfully playing modern online games).

Discussion?

-Monkey!