Maximum visibility (Wishlist)

Maximum visibility // Wishlist

1  |

zeo toxion

Jun 30, 2002, 3:50pm
I think this would be a good idea maybe. Lets say your maximum fog is at 60.
Some people might have their visibilty over 60 and are seeing objects past
what they can see. If you put the maximum visibility at 60 then they wont
see anything past the fog no matter what their fog is set at in their
settings and it will be less laggy for them. I know if you set it high you
can probably handle that much but makign it lower will increase framerate
even more.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

young phalpha

Jun 30, 2002, 8:16pm
Objects past the maximum fog distance are simply not rendered. :)

- YP

[View Quote] --
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

the derek

Jun 30, 2002, 11:30pm
good for building worlds too, cause you sometimes get idiots who have their
visibility up to 150 and are wondering why the world is LAGGING... setting a
maximum visibility would keep people from even being able to complain :P
[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Jul 1, 2002, 1:25am
In my world with max fog set to 100. If you set your visibility to 200
(mines usualy on 70 or so) I noticed it doesn't effect frame rate but you
still get the jerkyness that is still considered lag and it is a lot worse
at 200 vis. I guess it is still doing calulations for the objects past the
fog but it doesnt effect frame rate since its not rendering? Either way its
still laggier.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

young phalpha

Jul 1, 2002, 1:47am
I'm not sure about that, maybe certain cards don't render beyond the maximum fog point, I know
mine does not appear to..

- YP

[View Quote] --
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"young phalpha" <RhaneC at msn.com> wrote in
news:3d1f8351 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Objects past the maximum fog distance are simply not rendered. :)

I wouldn't think that the browser is smart enough to do that. If it hasn't
been intentionally programmed NOT to render beyond the fog, it will render
it, but not actually display it. You'd have to ask Young Shamus about that,
but it would be a quick fix to not let the visibility go beyond max fog.
*still waiting for backface culling*

KAH

young phalpha

Jul 1, 2002, 4:07pm
maybe the browser isn't, but DirectX / Render might be ;) I was saying that based off my frame
:) Btw, they did discover a bug if you set your min/max vis to the same but they had fixed it in
3.4, it only occurred in DX8 and 7 for me and Shamus though, OGL crashed me, and Software worked
like in 3.2...

- YP

[View Quote] > Objects past the maximum fog distance are simply not rendered. :)

I wouldn't think that the browser is smart enough to do that. If it hasn't
been intentionally programmed NOT to render beyond the fog, it will render
it, but not actually display it. You'd have to ask Young Shamus about that,
but it would be a quick fix to not let the visibility go beyond max fog.
*still waiting for backface culling*

"young phalpha" <RhaneC at msn.com> wrote in
news:3d209a49 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> maybe the browser isn't, but DirectX / Render might be ;) I was saying
> that based off my frame
>:) Btw, they did discover a bug if you set your min/max vis to the same
>:but they had fixed it in
> 3.4, it only occurred in DX8 and 7 for me and Shamus though, OGL
> crashed me, and Software worked like in 3.2...

One thing is for sure, DX does not, I've never used RW myself (hey, I'm not
Billy Gaties, I can't afford paying for it just to test some stuff), so if
Criterion's programmers were smart enough maybe it does it :-))