wish for sdk (Wishlist)

wish for sdk // Wishlist

1  |

chazrad

Jun 7, 2002, 10:27am
I'd really wish the sdk the be updated with the following:

add a function aw_user_all_data, which you give an address of a
preallocated block of memory arranged in a structure which contains all
avatar attributes (including object related ones). aw_user_all_data_set for
the other direction. the server will then do a memcopy of their structure
to/from your block. in this way you get all attributes at once without
having to ask for each and every attribute and then having to copy them to
your own structure. This will put a slightly bigger stress on their
resources but (questimating) this is easily compensated for by not having
to handle all the seperate calls for attributes, and will also reduce the
network load.

milesteg

Jun 7, 2002, 10:49am
HI Chazrad,

Why do you think it would reduce network load?
I m pretty sure attributes are all received in one shot .
for example when the event avatar_add is raised, all the avatar attributes
are received from the server,
the sdk hold them and you can get them using aw_int or aw_string etc..I don
t think aw sdk makes a call to the server each time you make an aw_int or
aw_string call, that would be weird ;)

Regards,
MilesTeg

"chazrad" <petrossadeletethis at msn.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3d00a6c4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I'd really wish the sdk the be updated with the following:
>
> add a function aw_user_all_data, which you give an address of a
> preallocated block of memory arranged in a structure which contains all
> avatar attributes (including object related ones). aw_user_all_data_set
for
> the other direction. the server will then do a memcopy of their structure
> to/from your block. in this way you get all attributes at once without
> having to ask for each and every attribute and then having to copy them to
> your own structure. This will put a slightly bigger stress on their
> resources but (questimating) this is easily compensated for by not having
> to handle all the seperate calls for attributes, and will also reduce the
> network load.

chazrad

Jun 7, 2002, 12:54pm
"milesteg" <MilesTeg at nerim.net> wrote in
news:3d00abd7 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> HI Chazrad,
>
> Why do you think it would reduce network load?
> I m pretty sure attributes are all received in one shot .
> for example when the event avatar_add is raised, all the avatar
> attributes are received from the server,
> the sdk hold them and you can get them using aw_int or aw_string
> etc..I don t think aw sdk makes a call to the server each time you
> make an aw_int or aw_string call, that would be weird ;)
>
> Regards,
> MilesTeg

yeah now that i think about it i didn't really think that part through.
the idea is good though,not?