Fix the OpenGL video mode if it can be done (Wishlist)

Fix the OpenGL video mode if it can be done // Wishlist

1  |

data21

Jan 17, 2002, 3:14pm
Before anyone here tells me to use DX mode and not openGL, I do use DX mode
:-) my video card supports all 3 video modes I love DX mode, all this is was
a test on OpenGL mode again.

In OpenGL mode all lighting is over bright.
I dont use that mode for that reason.
OpenGL mode seems to amplify the light based on your visibility setting.
All the light looks fine when my visibility is set to 30, but as soon as I
move it up to 60 the lights get so bright it just destroys the whole
lighting effect.
create light color=orange fx=fire
OpenGL at 30 visibility this looks great real light fire flickering orange
light
but that same light command when your visibility is set to 60 you see a way
to bright over powering constant yellow light color over everything around
you.

foxmccloud

Jan 17, 2002, 5:17pm
That's probably because there is a light with a limited range there, and Roland said OpenGL doesn't support the concept of light
range (which isn't true).

Fox Mc Cloud

"data21" <dbmiller at kiski.net> a écrit dans le message news: 3c47067a at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Before anyone here tells me to use DX mode and not openGL, I do use DX mode
> :-) my video card supports all 3 video modes I love DX mode, all this is was
> a test on OpenGL mode again.
>
> In OpenGL mode all lighting is over bright.
> I dont use that mode for that reason.
> OpenGL mode seems to amplify the light based on your visibility setting.
> All the light looks fine when my visibility is set to 30, but as soon as I
> move it up to 60 the lights get so bright it just destroys the whole
> lighting effect.
> create light color=orange fx=fire
> OpenGL at 30 visibility this looks great real light fire flickering orange
> light
> but that same light command when your visibility is set to 60 you see a way
> to bright over powering constant yellow light color over everything around
> you.

probably the guys at Criterion being a bit lazy and not implementing it into
the OGL RW engine, I'd say...

puckman

Mar 4, 2002, 4:56pm
in article 3c472d2d at server1.Activeworlds.com, kah at kah at kahnews.cjb.net
wrote on 17/01/2002 19:59:

> probably the guys at Criterion being a bit lazy and not implementing it into
> the OGL RW engine, I'd say...

I find that hard to believe considering RW is a 3D engine used in many games
on several different computer platforms and game console platforms!

gerard

explain why it doesn't work then heh