Thread

Collison detection for BOTS! Roland don't worry (Bots)

Collison detection for BOTS! Roland don't worry // Bots

1  |

horizons

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01BF48A5.EDA23EA0

This is one of those stupid things I think of that you little bot =
programmers can work out on your own time.

Items the bot needs in order to get Collision detection:
1.Object registry data.
2.Object data for area within 120 meter radius.
3.Way for the bot to comprehend this information.
4.Optional, Some way for the bot to get the avatar's relative size in =
relation to local objects.
5.Optional, You know how Preston downloads midi's and then get's the =
time for them someway to get at the rwx files and the bot to kind of =
render them without it visually taking place.

Steps to make collision detection.
1.!IMPORTANT! Get registry and Object Data loaded to the program for =
active use, possibly setting as a string type thing or something.
2.Get the bot's position in the world. Have it query within 5 meters of =
it's location for any object and have it check the registry to see how =
close the bot is to the object.
3. If the bot is within the bounding box of the object then have the bot =
declare something like "Ooopppps" or something.
4. If the bot is not within the bounding box of any object, excluding =
floor tiles, then have the bot continue with no error what's so ever. =
This would probably use very little code and not be so hard on the =
memory of the bot or bandwidth so it could be done fairly easily and =
constantly.

Horizons
cit:288611
http://www.worlds.net/cgi-bin/teleport?aw_21345n_21345w

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01BF48A5.EDA23EA0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><STRONG>This is one of those stupid things I think of that you =
little bot=20
programmers can work out on your own time.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Items the bot needs in order to get Collision=20
detection:</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>1.Object registry data.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>2.Object data for area within 120 meter =
radius.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>3.Way for the bot to comprehend this =
information.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4.Optional, Some way for the bot to get the avatar's =
relative size=20
in relation to local objects.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>5.Optional, You know how Preston downloads midi's and then =
get's=20
the time for them someway to get at the rwx files and the bot to kind of =
render=20
them without it visually taking place.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Steps to make collision detection.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>1.!IMPORTANT! Get registry and Object Data loaded to the =
program=20
for active use, possibly setting as a string type thing or=20
something.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>2.Get the bot's position in the world. Have it query within =
5=20
meters of it's location for any object and have it check the registry to =
see how=20
close the bot is to the object.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>3. If the bot is within the bounding box of the object then =
have=20
the bot declare something like &quot;Ooopppps&quot; or =
something.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4. If the bot is not within the bounding box of any object, =

excluding floor tiles, then have the bot continue with no error what's =
so ever.=20
This would probably use very little code and not be so hard on the =
memory of the=20
bot or bandwidth so it could be done fairly easily and=20
constantly.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Horizons</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>cit:288611</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P><A=20
href=3D"http://www.worlds.net/cgi-bin/teleport?aw_21345n_21345w">http://w=
ww.worlds.net/cgi-bin/teleport?aw_21345n_21345w</A></P></FONT></STRONG></=
DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01BF48A5.EDA23EA0--

sagaman

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BF48A3.FDAFF6E0

Well, as usual the devil is in the details. Item 3 means not simply =
being able to get bounding boxes of objects but being able interpret the =
surfaces. Try climbing stairs or walking up a hill with just the =
bounding box info.

Us "little bot programmers" (55 years old, 200 lbs), could use a little =
extra code in the SDK to support this, especially since the code already =
exists in the browser. I seem to recall that 3d surface collision =
detection is pretty non-trivial, but all we really need for this problem =
is a true/false, does object A at position P1 touch object B at position =
P2?

Norm
[View Quote]
------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BF48A3.FDAFF6E0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well, as usual the devil is in the =
details.&nbsp;=20
Item 3 means not simply being able to get bounding boxes of objects but =
being=20
able interpret the surfaces.&nbsp; Try climbing stairs or walking up a =
hill with=20
just the bounding box info.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Us "little bot programmers" (55 years =
old, 200=20
lbs), could use a little extra code in the SDK to support this, =
especially since=20
the code already exists in the browser.&nbsp; I seem to recall that 3d =
surface=20
collision detection is pretty non-trivial, but all we really need for =
this=20
problem is a true/false, does object A at position&nbsp;P1 touch object =
B at=20
position P2?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Norm</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>horizons &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:horizonsx at hrfn.net">horizonsx at hrfn.net</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
<A=20
=
href=3D"news:385aa1c1 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:385aa1c1 at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>This is one of those stupid things I think of that you =
little bot=20
programmers can work out on your own time.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Items the bot needs in order to get Collision=20
detection:</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>1.Object registry data.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>2.Object data for area within 120 meter =
radius.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>3.Way for the bot to comprehend this =
information.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4.Optional, Some way for the bot to get the avatar's =
relative=20
size in relation to local objects.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>5.Optional, You know how Preston downloads midi's and =
then get's=20
the time for them someway to get at the rwx files and the bot to kind =
of=20
render them without it visually taking place.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Steps to make collision detection.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>1.!IMPORTANT! Get registry and Object Data loaded to the =
program=20
for active use, possibly setting as a string type thing or=20
something.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>2.Get the bot's position in the world. Have it query =
within 5=20
meters of it's location for any object and have it check the registry =
to see=20
how close the bot is to the object.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>3. If the bot is within the bounding box of the object =
then have=20
the bot declare something like "Ooopppps" or something.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>4. If the bot is not within the bounding box of any =
object,=20
excluding floor tiles, then have the bot continue with no error what's =
so=20
ever. This would probably use very little code and not be so hard on =
the=20
memory of the bot or bandwidth so it could be done fairly easily and=20
constantly.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Horizons</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>cit:288611</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P><A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.worlds.net/cgi-bin/teleport?aw_21345n_21345w">http://w=
ww.worlds.net/cgi-bin/teleport?aw_21345n_21345w</A></P></FONT></STRONG></=
DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BF48A3.FDAFF6E0--

jerme

Dec 18, 1999, 12:51pm
--------------2222D6C40FAB248DE4E3F9D5

What you speak of is a bot that would know if an AV touched anything,
but that usualy isn't needed. At one of the tech talks i asked Roland
about maybe adding a comand to the object description that would send an
event with the AV's name, or sesion #...whatever....he said this wasn't
posible..because the browser would have to konw every object arround the
av, and it's size...but i got to thinking, and i could solve the problem
with some simple code....all you have to do is constanting check the
AV's position, and compare it with the object you want to know if they
bump....obviously this would only work for a few objects..it would get
way to repeditiv if you tried to do everyobject....but for certin games
and things, where there only one or two players, it would work just
fine. Take a look at Faber's CYPac....i belive that in compares the
co-ords of the bot that is chasing you to your own co-ords....now, i may
be wrong...but that would seem logical, wouldn't it?

[View Quote] > This is one of those stupid things I think of that you little bot

--
-==-
:) :-) ;) ;-) (:-) =) :-o :P :X [8-O)
- "The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity."
AW: JerMe cit#296967
IM: JerMe150
ICQ: 32700123
Earn $$ JUST FOR SURFING THE WEB; Go To
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=ewt-632
-==-
Child-Do not try to bend the spoon, that is imposible. Insted, only try
to relize the truth.
Neo-What truth?
Child-That there is no spoon.
Neo-There is no spoon?
Child-Then, you will see that it is not the spoon that bends, only
yourself.
--From The Matrix

--------------2222D6C40FAB248DE4E3F9D5

What you speak of is a bot that would know if an AV touched anything, but
that usualy isn't needed.&nbsp; At one of the tech talks i asked Roland
about maybe adding a comand to the object description that would send an
event with the AV's name, or sesion #...whatever....he said this wasn't
posible..because the browser would have to konw every object arround the
av, and it's size...but i got to thinking, and i could solve the problem
with some simple code....all you have to do is constanting check the AV's
position, and compare it with the object you want to know if they bump....obviously
this would only work for a few objects..it would get way to repeditiv if
you tried to do everyobject....but for certin games and things, where there
only one or two players, it would work just fine.&nbsp; Take a look at
Faber's CYPac....i belive that in compares the co-ords of the bot that
is chasing you to your own co-ords....now, i may be wrong...but that would
seem logical, wouldn't it?
[View Quote] <p>--
try to relize the truth.
yourself.