A small word of warning ... // Sdk

1  |

grimble

Jun 29, 2002, 1:38pm
With the introduction of the Tilt and Roll attributes in v3.3, some SDK
applications (including publicly released bots) may produce unexpected
results. This only applies (I believe) under the following circumstances ...

(a) the application picks up object click, object add or cell object (i.e.
handles 3x3, 5x5 and/or cell
next queries) events.

(b) the application uses object change, add or load SDK methods.

(c) the application code was written for a previous build of the SDK (i.e.
one that doesn't support the Tilt and Roll object attributes) but where the
version of the SDK has been "upgraded" to build 24 without changing the code
to handle the setting of the tilt and roll attributes.

(d) 3-axis rotation is enabled in the world (or more to the point, there are
objects in the world where 3d-axis rotation has been applied)

For those that can't see the problem at first, I'll try to explain. As
you're aware, all relevant attributes need to be set to the desired values
when making a call to the SDK since the values are retained within the SDK
throught its "life". So if the last object event (perhaps from a query
event) raised on build 24 included non-zero Tilt or Roll values, these will
be used in a subsequent aw_object_change call if they are not reset by the
code.

If the application was written for (and works perfectly well with) build 23,
but the version of the SDK has been changed to build 24 without readdressing
any object add, change or load calls, you may find that the Tilt and Roll of
the new object will not be what you expect.

As an example, an application that maintains a billboard, changing the
picture on an object at regular intervals may end up creating the object on
its side or skewed at a funny angle. I really depends on how the object tilt
and roll attributes have been "left" by the last event. Pre-build 24
applications will only be setting the Yaw of the object for its orientation
and not the Tilt and Roll.

I've reworded this a few times trying to get it to make sense, and I'm not
sure I have managed it. If your application doesn't use the object change,
add or load SDK methods then its not an issue. Unless the developer didn't
read the help pages properly, this only applies to applications that
PRE-DATED build 24 and the version of the SDK used has been changed TO build
24.

For VBer's benefit, build 24 is either AwSdkOcx5.ocx or the recent COM
wrapper from MrGrimm (they're both based on build 24).

If you're in the habit of keeping the version of the SDK up to date in your
applications you my want to check this in your code.

Grimble.

chazrad

Jun 29, 2002, 2:01pm
tnx Grumble, very good advice. i actually missed that point :))))

"grimble" <grimble2000NOSPAM at btinternet.com> wrote in
news:3d1dd465$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> With the introduction of the Tilt and Roll attributes in v3.3, some
> SDK applications (including publicly released bots) may produce
> unexpected results. This only applies (I believe) under the following
> circumstances ...
>
> (a) the application picks up object click, object add or cell object
> (i.e. handles 3x3, 5x5 and/or cell
> next queries) events.
>
> (b) the application uses object change, add or load SDK methods.
>
> (c) the application code was written for a previous build of the SDK
> (i.e. one that doesn't support the Tilt and Roll object attributes)
> but where the version of the SDK has been "upgraded" to build 24
> without changing the code to handle the setting of the tilt and roll
> attributes.
>
> (d) 3-axis rotation is enabled in the world (or more to the point,
> there are objects in the world where 3d-axis rotation has been
> applied)
>
> For those that can't see the problem at first, I'll try to explain. As
> you're aware, all relevant attributes need to be set to the desired
> values when making a call to the SDK since the values are retained
> within the SDK throught its "life". So if the last object event
> (perhaps from a query event) raised on build 24 included non-zero Tilt
> or Roll values, these will be used in a subsequent aw_object_change
> call if they are not reset by the code.
>
> If the application was written for (and works perfectly well with)
> build 23, but the version of the SDK has been changed to build 24
> without readdressing any object add, change or load calls, you may
> find that the Tilt and Roll of the new object will not be what you
> expect.
>
> As an example, an application that maintains a billboard, changing the
> picture on an object at regular intervals may end up creating the
> object on its side or skewed at a funny angle. I really depends on how
> the object tilt and roll attributes have been "left" by the last
> event. Pre-build 24 applications will only be setting the Yaw of the
> object for its orientation and not the Tilt and Roll.
>
> I've reworded this a few times trying to get it to make sense, and I'm
> not sure I have managed it. If your application doesn't use the object
> change, add or load SDK methods then its not an issue. Unless the
> developer didn't read the help pages properly, this only applies to
> applications that PRE-DATED build 24 and the version of the SDK used
> has been changed TO build 24.
>
> For VBer's benefit, build 24 is either AwSdkOcx5.ocx or the recent COM
> wrapper from MrGrimm (they're both based on build 24).
>
> If you're in the habit of keeping the version of the SDK up to date in
> your applications you my want to check this in your code.
>
> Grimble.

grimble

Jun 29, 2002, 2:31pm
Me too, chubrub. Still, who needs backwards compatibility, eh?

GrImble

[View Quote]

chazrad

Jun 29, 2002, 2:57pm
Ask Mickeysoft :))))

(U is to close to I on my keyboard i can't resist ;)

"grimble" <grimble2000NOSPAM at btinternet.com> wrote in news:3d1de0c9$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Me too, chubrub. Still, who needs backwards compatibility, eh?
>
> GrImble

So true Vjsxtad!

The keys were so close i couldent rests either :P

- Mark

kristy8963147

Jul 2, 2002, 3:22am
Preston has that problem. If you use the object change thing on an object
that has tilt and roll used on it once it changes the object it also resets
the rotation for the tilt and roll.

[View Quote]

grimble

Jul 2, 2002, 11:16am
That's not quite the same problem. From what I've read in the newsgroups,
the build 24 release of Preston isn't availabe yet, so the SDK build that
the current version is based on doesn't even know about the Tilt or Roll
attributes and so they will be defaulted to zero by the world server. I
imagine the same would be true of a v3.2 bowser in a world with 3-axis
rotation where the Tilt and Roll isn't seen in the older version.

When the 3.3 compatible version of Preston is released (although I guess it
may wait until 3.4 now as the new version is following on so soon), all
should be well.

Grims

[View Quote]

faber

Aug 1, 2002, 7:11pm
"grimble" <grimble2000NOSPAM at btinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3d21a7b9 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> When the 3.3 compatible version of Preston is released (although I guess it
> may wait until 3.4 now as the new version is following on so soon), all
> should be well.
>
> Grims

All should be well thanks to your warning :) I would have missed that point otherwise :)

- Faber

faber

Aug 1, 2002, 7:13pm
"kristy8963147" <bluemoon8963 at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3d2138ab at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Preston has that problem. If you use the object change thing on an object
> that has tilt and roll used on it once it changes the object it also resets
> the rotation for the tilt and roll.

Now that i am aware of it. the next prestion should address that problem properly.

- Faber