No telegram sounds (Community)

No telegram sounds // Community

1  |

lady barbara

Apr 16, 2003, 9:12pm
Even tho I have "telegram" and "building" sounds enabled, I don't hear the
telegram and I'm pretty certain I don't hear the building sounds--whatever
they are.

I even went into the AW/sounds folder and was able to play the sounds from
there.

I'm using AW 3.4 on a P3, 600Mhz, 256MB RAM, Win98SE, Soundblaster AWE. I'm
able to hear other sounds, btw.

Thank you!

Lady Barbara

andras

Apr 16, 2003, 9:34pm
[View Quote] > Even tho I have "telegram" and "building" sounds enabled, I don't hear the
> telegram and I'm pretty certain I don't hear the building sounds--whatever
> they are.
>
> I even went into the AW/sounds folder and was able to play the sounds from
> there.
>
> I'm using AW 3.4 on a P3, 600Mhz, 256MB RAM, Win98SE, Soundblaster AWE. I'm
> able to hear other sounds, btw.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Lady Barbara

Options/Settings/General/Play Telegram Sound etc

HTH
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

lady barbara

Apr 17, 2003, 2:34am
Thanks Andras!

But as I said earlier:

the
sounds--whatever

I just had someone send me a gram and still no sound. And I do have the
sounds enabled.

Barbara

[View Quote]

tengel

Apr 17, 2003, 3:16am
look at your sound setting on your computer, mid or wave can have been muted

[View Quote]

lady barbara

Apr 17, 2003, 4:33am
Hi Tengel!

Now I think we're starting to get somewhere. No, nothing has been muted.
BUT, I found that the Midi control in the Soundblaster control panel is
GREYED OUT!!!

Now, things are starting to click inside my head. I recently went through
some midi files on my computer and let *.mid be associated with the Windows
Player. Is that the trouble? Should it have been associated with
Creative's Midi player instead? Or what?

Thanks to you and everybody else helping me with this little frustration of
mine! :))

Barbara

[View Quote]

tengel

Apr 17, 2003, 10:08am
Well, you can try to change this.
have you look at your Sound & multimedia at your control panel? ( start --
settings -- control panel )
in this, be sure that " show volum control on the taskbar is hooked on "
you should have a speaker at your taskbar then, d.click on this and look at
your midi part. is this geryed out too?

[View Quote]

pc hamster

Apr 17, 2003, 9:39pm
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] I think Tengel is referring to the AW browser itself Barbara. You might
wanna check to see if WAV sounds are enabled THERE. I have NO PROBLEM
hearing sounds unless they're so low that Winamp drowns them out... :-)

Patrick

"lady barbara" <barbeisner at msn.com> wrote in
news:3e9e3c9b at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hi Tengel!
>
> Now I think we're starting to get somewhere. No, nothing has been
> muted. BUT, I found that the Midi control in the Soundblaster control
> panel is GREYED OUT!!!
>
> Now, things are starting to click inside my head. I recently went
> through some midi files on my computer and let *.mid be associated
> with the Windows Player. Is that the trouble? Should it have been
> associated with Creative's Midi player instead? Or what?
>
> Thanks to you and everybody else helping me with this little
> frustration of mine! :))

Problems with MIDI files won't have anything to do with it, as MIDI files
just give instrumentation for synths, and we're talking WAV files for the
sounds. Do you have anything that might be taking a sound resource (not
necesarily playing anything, but taking the resource anyway), and does your
sound card support full duplex? If not, that would be a clue.

KAH

lady barbara

Apr 22, 2003, 8:37pm
I have an AWE 64 by Creative for sound board. I'm pretty certain it
supports full duplex. How would I find out if another program is using it?
I can hear any other wav files -- just not the "default" files.

Thanks,
Barbara

[View Quote] > Problems with MIDI files won't have anything to do with it, as MIDI files