disconnected when fog enabled (Community)

disconnected when fog enabled // Community

1  |

screb

Feb 13, 2003, 8:07pm
Who knows what is going on when ppl on a 56k modem get disconnected when
they enter certain worlds. This happens in the new worlds that enable fog.
Some of the visitors in my world have that problem and tell me it happens in
more worlds...
Now I can not test this myself since I am on cable. The weird thing is that
u would expect the puter to crasch if it could not handle it, but that does
not happen. Its the telephone connection that gets lost. (sometimes right
away, sometimes after about 2 minutes...)

The ppl I am talking about have 800mhz machines or up and use recent 3D
acceleration cards....

Hope there is hope for these ppl... plzzzz let me know if u know the
solution.

screb

captain mad mike

Feb 13, 2003, 8:32pm
Not sure why exactly having your video rendering capabilities stressed a lot
would cause a disco. Like you I use cable so I can't really test this, but I
do remember that with my 800Mhz machine and its Radeon 7200 (2 year old
video card, is that what you mean by recent?) I could see fogged worlds just
fine. My initial guess is that maybe the CPU is being used so much that it
somehow drops the information that hte modem needs for processing...but then
why would that only affect modems, and not network cards or sound cards.
Have you checked if there was anything in common with the people who got
crashes upon entering your world? Did they use the same ISP? (well, if its
only a handful of people, they could all be on the same ISP...)

Did you ask if they have the latest drivers for their video cards? Sometimes
updating those can solve major problems.

-Captain MAD Mike
> Who knows what is going on when ppl on a 56k modem get disconnected when
> they enter certain worlds. This happens in the new worlds that enable fog.
> Some of the visitors in my world have that problem and tell me it happens
in
> more worlds...
> Now I can not test this myself since I am on cable. The weird thing is
that
> u would expect the puter to crasch if it could not handle it, but that
does
> not happen. Its the telephone connection that gets lost. (sometimes right
> away, sometimes after about 2 minutes...)
>
> The ppl I am talking about have 800mhz machines or up and use recent 3D
> acceleration cards....
>
> Hope there is hope for these ppl... plzzzz let me know if u know the
> solution.
>
> screb

screb

Feb 13, 2003, 8:53pm
Have one of the guys online here right now.. has a 1200mhz machine and a
nvdea g-force 32 mb card... should do the job I guess... He tells me it is
not just the fog... but "enable terrain" causes the same problem
(sometimes)...

screb

[View Quote]

captain mad mike

Feb 13, 2003, 9:45pm
Does he have the latest drivers from nvidia?

--
-Captain MAD Mike
[View Quote]

neocube a

Feb 13, 2003, 9:45pm
As I said in another NG that I am on dialup and my world as well as
others I go to have fog enabled and I see it just fine. My guess is that
it is their systems :)

~neo

[View Quote]

lord perception

Could be something to with those cheap and nasty "software" modems

In _General_ terms. Most modem owners would probably have a Lucent or
Connexant chip "winmodem" which lie in a category between the good old
Hardware modems and the ghastly software modem such as ones with a PCTel
chip
Normal Lucent and connexant chipset win modems are "controllerless" modems
that offload _some_ of the processing load on to the main CPU but still
retain the intensive data pump.

The software modems are both controllerless and without the "data pump".
They offload almost all processing tasks onto the Main CPU. And when they
don't get enough processor power, they retrain (speed shift down) or
disconnect. The data pump is particularly CPU intensive.

So I'm _guessing_ perhaps, that processing of the fog is CPU intensive and
probably commands a higher priority over other processes in the system...
and when someone who has a software modem tries to enter a world with fog, a
disconnection occurs.

This is what I'm guessing. If this is so, they may have to go to the modem
manufacturer's website, download and install the latest drivers for their
modem.

sw comit

Feb 14, 2003, 3:39am
I blame it on the drivers...not the CPU. CPU won't just "drop" information.
That's what lag is for =P

Don't forget AGP and/or chipset drivers...

[View Quote]

binarybud

Feb 14, 2003, 11:59am
make sure you have the latest DirectX drivers...... I've heard there is a possible problem with directX and your MODEM connection.......strange as it may sound.......