Preston question which should be in bots but gets more replies in here....... (Community)

Preston question which should be in bots but gets more replies in here....... // Community

1  |

mike zimmer

Jun 3, 2001, 3:43am
Is there a way that I can tell Preston to take something from what I tell it
and put it into a command? so it would be like if I have an ad I want to be
changed every 1/2 hour and I want to say to Preston /set ad
http://the_ad's_url_here.com and have Preston change a command(s) to that
url? if you don't get it just e-mail me and I will show you what I mean at
the place where I want it to happen.

nornny

Jun 3, 2001, 11:27am
For one, this should be in the bots newsgroup. We've told you this many
times Mike. All the bot experts roam around there.

Two, I don't know. Why you couldn't just change the ad using the timer and
different action commands is beyond me.

Nornny

[View Quote]

mike zimmer

Jun 3, 2001, 1:27pm
Yes i know it should be in the bots. But one little question for you. Have
you ever been in there lately? It is DEAD! I mean completely DEAD! So, since
this is like the only NG that is being used, It would help me more to put it
in here. So please think before you talk.

You mix up 2 things :

That no one posts to "bots" does not mean that no one subscribed
to it. I am sure that many people who deal with bot usage and bot
scripting still read it and would answer your questions there -
but most of them will sure boykott misplaced questions because
they have some experience with in the groups here and know where
that would lead to.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

nornny

Jun 3, 2001, 1:59pm
The bots newsgroup is far from dead, it is read very often. If they can't
help you, try the worlds beta and other bot worlds to get some one-on-one
help. I mean, why don't you try thinking every once in a while too. This
community newsgroup is cluttered enough as it is, and out of ALL the Preston
users out there, you can't seem to find any in AW or in the bots newsgroup.
Amazing. I mean, it's one thing if you need help here and it's a real bot
emergency, but I don't believe it is, so why are you contributing to the
mess?

Nornny

[View Quote]

mike zimmer

Jun 3, 2001, 5:24pm
Okay, what is your definition of Community? To me it is anything dealing
with Active Worlds. We are the community, I am in the community. Therefore I
have every right to post anything I want here. It is a open NG anything can
be posted about anything. They just have the other NGs so they look special.
This is pretty much the only Active NG. Okay, so people read the bots NG?
Look at some of the worlds in Active Worlds I bet when you are looking for
some to chat with you go to the worlds with a lot of people in it right?
Well same on the NGs, When I want someone to answer my question I go to the
NG that has the most people in it.
[View Quote]

eep

Jun 3, 2001, 8:12pm
Well go to a Usenet newsgroup or something (there are plenty of mindless web-based discussion forums and message boards) if you want to post off-topic non-AW-related posts (drivel).

[View Quote] > Okay, what is your definition of Community? To me it is anything dealing
> with Active Worlds. We are the community, I am in the community. Therefore I
> have every right to post anything I want here. It is a open NG anything can
> be posted about anything. They just have the other NGs so they look special.
> This is pretty much the only Active NG. Okay, so people read the bots NG?
> Look at some of the worlds in Active Worlds I bet when you are looking for
> some to chat with you go to the worlds with a lot of people in it right?
> Well same on the NGs, When I want someone to answer my question I go to the
> NG that has the most people in it.

humdidum... before creating something, check if it allready has been
created... the MBE/KAHBOT AdBot for HamBot does exactly what you want (tough
it works best with OLD HamBot versions). the ad URLs and the time between
rotation can be customized easily. one day I might rewrite it as a
stand-alone bot. URL: www.kahbot.com

jfk2

Jun 4, 2001, 8:52am
Hello Mike... You are going to generate alot of STUPID IDIOTS ANSWERING
YOU BECAUSE YOU POSTED YOUR BOT QUESTION HERE...

I'm NOT A STUPID IDIOT...

And i've seen this happen so many times over it isn't funny.

Like many people... He dosen't want to wait for many days to get some
decent answer... HE WANTS IT NOW.

OK... That could only be don in a script for a Preston bot to use. It could
be done... Just you have to either do the Preston Bot script yourself or
find someone who will do that script for you. The general commands
that you enter yourself in the commands section you could do...
But it might not be what you want. So it would be running a script command.

AND yes... I do agree that the AW Community BOTS one is alot slow. If you
want a NewsGroups one that is a little more faster...
Try this...

andras.net = Another AW & MORE Community Newsgroups.
AND this is the real proper one for all the people that want to start
a FLAME WAR BY NAMEING NAMES LIKE GOOBER KING & JUST IN & ONESUMMER &
NORMEY & WING & EVERYONE ELSE...
It has a FLAMES area just for that... And i've run my HUGE mouth there as
well... At least it makes me feel like my old time tv show i used to love
here in the USA called The Morton Downey Show = Mr.BIG MOUTH Morton Downey,JR

mike zimmer <zimmer at pitnet.net> wrote in <3b19ce8e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Is there a way that I can tell Preston to take something from what I tell it
>and put it into a command? so it would be like if I have an ad I want to be
>changed every 1/2 hour and I want to say to Preston /set ad
>http://the_ad's_url_here.com and have Preston change a command(s) to that
>url? if you don't get it just e-mail me and I will show you what I mean at
>the place where I want it to happen.

icey

Jun 4, 2001, 10:35am
Here's again...
CHARTER: news.activeworlds.com/awcommunity newsgroup is a moderated
newsgroup for the free exchange of information and opinions on AW
culture,
language, history, economics, science, and other topics related to
ActiveWorlds. Posts appropriate for news.activeworlds.com/community
include, but are not restricted to, all aspects of ActiveWorlds,
informational posts about AW culture, history, etc. Language issues
related
to AW. Discussion of education, health, environmental issues , politics,
elections, etc. Discussion of books , articles, webarticles, movies,
etc.,
about AW or the 3D internet in general. Discussion of minority issues,
including language, within AW. Job opportunities within AW. Discussions
involving PeaceKeepers and GateKeepers. Suggestions and tips for
newcomers.
Suggestions and tips for World Owners. Additions and alternative
implementations of the AW client or server. AWCOM. posts relevant to the
AW
community and public meetings.

[View Quote]

jeiden

Jun 4, 2001, 12:54pm
*Boogles the very concept of jfk2*

Yah know you don't have to act like a jacka$$, if you are going to tell some
one about andras' ngs. All you have to say is, "If you want a faster
response why not try the ngs at andras.net."

You don't use the opportunity to piss off all the old timers who will now
most likely decide not to help you because of your jacka$$ attitude.

*shakes his head in booglement* Leave the ngs for a month or two and a wave
of newbie idiots march in. No wonder Eep's back to his old self. And if I am
loosing patience with you newbies then you must be really bad.

[View Quote]

jfk2

Jun 4, 2001, 1:01pm
Everyone who posts in the newsgroups sooner or later [Some of us
it's sooner than later] will act like a JACK$$$!!!
But it also has to do with CAN YOU SIT BACK AND LAUGH AT YOUSELF?
I can. That is what makes for many happy moments in my life.
I can laugh at being a complete JACK$$$!!!!!

jeiden <tgrenier1 at mediaone.net> wrote in
<3b1ba11e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>*Boogles the very concept of jfk2*
>
>Yah know you don't have to act like a jacka$$, if you are going to tell
>some one about andras' ngs. All you have to say is, "If you want a
>faster response why not try the ngs at andras.net."
>
>You don't use the opportunity to piss off all the old timers who will
>now most likely decide not to help you because of your jacka$$ attitude.
>
>*shakes his head in booglement* Leave the ngs for a month or two and a
>wave of newbie idiots march in. No wonder Eep's back to his old self.
>And if I am loosing patience with you newbies then you must be really
>bad.

[View Quote]

jeiden

Jun 4, 2001, 1:30pm
Still until you Juno idiots showed up we had 60% fewer flamewars than at
present. Sure we have a few battles over some subjects but we all had
respect for the people we were debating with. And that was because they
earned that respect with intelligent posts that while not always nice still
gave the answer we needed.

But you Juno twits don't even follow the ng guidlines let alone have
anything intelligent to say. So why not crawl back to the slime pit you
oozed out of and let us get back to intelligent and more mature
conversations.

Just cause your an 11 yr old who finally learned how to turn his computer
on. Doesn't mean you know jack about whats going on.

[View Quote]

m a k a v e l i

Jun 4, 2001, 1:33pm
See you're wrong bud. I read that NG everytime there is a post, no one has
questions so they don't post there. What do you want, me to post saying "Hi
everyone, I just need to keep this NG alive to please Mike." I doubt that
will happen. YOU think before you talk.

[View Quote]

chucks party

Jun 4, 2001, 1:42pm
You know it's SNERTS like you that change the subject and start flameing
people that are the problem, not JFK. You haven't said 1 intelligent thing
since I saw you rear your ugly head here, why don't you just crawl back to
the pit you oozed out of.

[View Quote]

jeiden

Jun 4, 2001, 1:50pm
You haven't been here long have you. I'm the guy that used to defend the
newbies, and usually was on opposite sides with Eep. But in this case I am
forced to side with him.

And he has had me on his filter list for probably nearly a yr now.

Basically I am the watch dog that resurfaces every few months to see what
the hell is up. And get really pissed off when a$$holes like you and your
twit friends come in and start disrupting the ng as if its just a game for
you.

GET A LIFE TWIT!
As Eep says go on through.
[View Quote]

syntax

Jun 4, 2001, 3:27pm
Uhh, listen to yourself Chuck. You are the one that wrote the freakin' book
on changing the goddam subject. Think about your past first then speak,
moron.
--
Syntax
syntax at swcity.net
www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

syntax

Jun 4, 2001, 3:31pm
Just a quick, off-topic question.
Is there a newsreader that when you filter someone, it deletes all replies
to that person also? I would love it so I could slap jfk's ugly ass on that
filter list.
--
Syntax
syntax at swcity.net
www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

faber

Jun 4, 2001, 3:44pm
"mike zimmer" <zimmer at pitnet.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b19ce8e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Is there a way that I can tell Preston to take something from what I tell it
> and put it into a command? so it would be like if I have an ad I want to be
> changed every 1/2 hour and I want to say to Preston /set ad
> http://the_ad's_url_here.com and have Preston change a command(s) to that
> url? if you don't get it just e-mail me and I will show you what I mean at
> the place where I want it to happen.

Mike,

Please ask preston questions in the bots newsgroup. I read it as often as i read this one here.

Preston can right now not do what you ask it to, however, the next version will, since it has a custom variables section.

The next preston was scheduled to be released right now, but got delayed due to my current medical condition. Next preston will be
out in I guess 2 weeks.

Faber, author of Preston

jeiden

Jun 4, 2001, 3:50pm
Don't know if there is one that does that but the you can filter so it
doesn't register to the reader that they posted, and so don't download their
posts

Try adding him to your block list for the newsreader your using and see if
it helps..

[View Quote]

agent1

Jun 4, 2001, 7:00pm
Get well soon, Faber :)

wing

Jun 4, 2001, 7:22pm
JFK himself turned me onto this if I remember properly. xNews. I have the installer around here somewhere on CD if you can't find a
place to DL it.
[View Quote]

syntax

Jun 4, 2001, 7:38pm
Ok, thanks Wing. I'll go look for it then post the URL to the site and the
URL to the direct download so people here can download it.
--
Syntax
syntax at swcity.net
www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

mike zimmer

Jun 5, 2001, 11:31pm
OKAY! STOP THIS DISCUSSION! NOW! I didn't mean for it to get so off-topic
and out of hand! Just stop this post now and anyone who replies to this will
go onto my filter!