Thread

new bot? good idea? or not? (Bots)

new bot? good idea? or not? // Bots

1  |  

the derek

Nov 18, 2000, 6:29am
ok im working on a new bot its a "plugin bot"
the bot will just be a standalone app
then you download extra apps that have idfferent features on them like
plugins
i will also probably make an sdk so other people can ake plugins for my
bots
good idea?
bad idea?

twisted horizon

Nov 18, 2000, 11:51am
bad idea - it isnt bots that need plug-ins - its the aw browser itself. ive
been trying to present this idea to Roland for about a month now.
-Twist
[View Quote]

john viper

Nov 18, 2000, 1:10pm
Like Twist said, its more the AW browser that needs the plugins, and besides, if most people knew
how to use the SDK which would let their program plug into your bot, they would be more likely to
write their own bots, and the Xelagot and HamBot users probably would rather stick to scripting.

Bad idea in my opinion.
_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the other." - Anonymous

[View Quote]

the derek

Nov 18, 2000, 9:06pm
ok... 2 noos the reasons... well its an easier way for me to add festures nad it means the peoledont
have to download the WHOLE bot over and over whenever there is a new feature..

[View Quote] > Like Twist said, its more the AW browser that needs the plugins, and besides, if most people knew
> how to use the SDK which would let their program plug into your bot, they would be more likely to
> write their own bots, and the Xelagot and HamBot users probably would rather stick to scripting.
>
> Bad idea in my opinion.
> _________________________
> John Viper
> http://www.jtsoft.net
> "Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the other." - Anonymous
>
[View Quote]

twisted horizon

Nov 19, 2000, 2:44am
I see that, but there are plenty of other bots already like that, and
downloading a whole *gasp* 1 megabyte top program that installs quickly
isn't too much of a problem. As I said, you really can't get much in with a
bot plug-in, we need an AW plug-in capability. If you really want easability
in your updates, somewhere back a few months ago source code was posted for
an auto-updater, similar to as is used in Ima Genius' Chatbot. Very nice.
Give it a try.
-Twist
[View Quote]

the derek

Nov 19, 2000, 3:14am
the auto updater wasnt really thatn popular on my bots... people who didnt want
to upgrade were fprced to read a message over and over

[View Quote] > I see that, but there are plenty of other bots already like that, and
> downloading a whole *gasp* 1 megabyte top program that installs quickly
> isn't too much of a problem. As I said, you really can't get much in with a
> bot plug-in, we need an AW plug-in capability. If you really want easability
> in your updates, somewhere back a few months ago source code was posted for
> an auto-updater, similar to as is used in Ima Genius' Chatbot. Very nice.
> Give it a try.
> -Twist
[View Quote]

the derek

Nov 19, 2000, 3:16am
well i was planning on doing it anyway i just
wanted input so i dunno why im arguing with you
lol i guess i just like to argue :P

grimble

Nov 19, 2000, 8:18am
I think a lot of people who write their own bots use this method anyway once
they've worked out the basics - applying some form of function library or
class structure (depending on the type of language you use) and expanding
that to their needs. Since you seem to sell your bots, why not keep your
infrastructure to yourself (I don't mean that how it might sound lol) to
enahance the capabilities of the your bots, give you a perceived advantage
and make just your life easier?

Grims


[View Quote]

grimble

Nov 19, 2000, 8:23am
Twist, you ever tried distributing a tiny VB application? A simple bot in VB
requires a setup install set that is well over 1MB ZIPPED. If you add a
little database processing in there, its up to 2MB because of the DAO, ADO
and/or RDO libraries. Then you put some fancy controls on the user interface
from one of the Windows Control Libraries (like the List control) and up it
goes even more.

When you're up to 3MB, you're talking about potentially a 30 minute download
on a dial up :O(.

Grims


[View Quote]

twisted horizon

Nov 19, 2000, 10:44am
Well so there to all you dumbnutted VB programmers, C++ RULES!!!! :-P
-Twist
[View Quote]

jeiden

Nov 19, 2000, 12:37pm
Well I don't think C++ allows you to make a user interface in 5 seconds like
you can in VB, point and click and you have the interface. Though the hard
part is getting the blasted coding of your commands right.
[View Quote]

twisted horizon

Nov 19, 2000, 1:07pm
So what if I did something silly like wrote a DOS app and feed it into a GUI
generator? C++ wins :-)
-Twist
[View Quote]

john viper

Nov 19, 2000, 1:51pm
Well I can understand if its for your personal purposes -- thats actually a neat idea. "Download
this large platform, and then use my building blocks to build upon it!" The ever popular (and
better than Rational) Together (www.togethersoft.com) is built off of this idea -- and I do believe
there is an open SDK for it.

So, you could make your own platformbot with the building blocks to save yourself time and if anyone
else wants to add on to it as well give them the SDK.

_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the other." - Anonymous

[View Quote]

john viper

Nov 19, 2000, 1:55pm
A while back I tried VB and hated it. There was no power and EVERYTHING was limited. Except the UI
designer thingie was incredibly cool!!! Tried Visual C++. It had all the power but a weak UI
designer. That really turned me off from it.

Then, I found Borland C++Builder. It has all the power of C++ AND a VERY STRONG (maybe even better)
UI thing than VB. Try it -- you can get the trial at www.borland.com.

What I am saying is that yes, using C++ you CAN make a UI in 5 minutes (noteI didn't say seconds --
in VB you cant do it in 5 seconds)

Plus VB just overall suxks (and thats my proferssional fact)
_________________________
John Viper
http://www.jtsoft.net
"Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the other." - Anonymous

[View Quote]

twisted horizon

Nov 19, 2000, 3:59pm
I can see it being done, but I've designed things that way before. Try it
for yourself, you'll find that it's much harder than it seems. If you still
want to do it, though, suit yourself.
-Twist
[View Quote]

the derek

Nov 20, 2000, 12:19am
i dont SELL my bots have you even seen the site....? if i have somehting that
makes it look like im selling them tell me what it is so i dont look like a guy
whos just making bots for $$$

[View Quote] > I think a lot of people who write their own bots use this method anyway once
> they've worked out the basics - applying some form of function library or
> class structure (depending on the type of language you use) and expanding
> that to their needs. Since you seem to sell your bots, why not keep your
> infrastructure to yourself (I don't mean that how it might sound lol) to
> enahance the capabilities of the your bots, give you a perceived advantage
> and make just your life easier?
>
> Grims
>
[View Quote]

the derek

Nov 20, 2000, 12:20am
its not limited once you use api c++ makes it easier to do the stuff you have to make twice as many
lines of code and time to use api functions but i use vb...faster if i was SELLING my applications
however i wuld use c++

[View Quote] > A while back I tried VB and hated it. There was no power and EVERYTHING was limited. Except the UI
> designer thingie was incredibly cool!!! Tried Visual C++. It had all the power but a weak UI
> designer. That really turned me off from it.
>
> Then, I found Borland C++Builder. It has all the power of C++ AND a VERY STRONG (maybe even better)
> UI thing than VB. Try it -- you can get the trial at www.borland.com.
>
> What I am saying is that yes, using C++ you CAN make a UI in 5 minutes (noteI didn't say seconds --
> in VB you cant do it in 5 seconds)
>
> Plus VB just overall suxks (and thats my proferssional fact)
> _________________________
> John Viper
> http://www.jtsoft.net
> "Java is a machine. You put Java code in one end, and money comes out the other." - Anonymous
>
[View Quote]

grimble

Nov 20, 2000, 7:43am
HEY!.... there was no malice intended in that post ... Geesh! This is
turning into bitch-city.

Perhaps I am getting you mixed up with someone else - in which case I
apologise. There are a lot of "I have a bot page" posts here. It was more of
a recommendation than anything - you build your own infrastructure and make
the most of it.


[View Quote]

grimble

Nov 20, 2000, 7:48am
What I have found (for the simple bots - my C/C++ is a little old and rusty
nowadays) is that bots can be DEVELOPED/DEBUGGED VERY quickly and easily in
VB, but distribution (free or otherwise) is best made in a less managed
language where you have more direct control over as much of the environment
as possible. If the VB code is structured properly in a manner that will
suit quick conversion of syntax to the new language, this works well.

Just a bot of additional ime investment at the end of it all.



[View Quote]

harry potter br

Dec 20, 2000, 2:20pm
ah, its a very good idea, Continue doing this !!!
HPBR - 317067
"the derek" <ImTheDerek at yahoo.com> escreveu na mensagem
news:3A163872.36ED5335 at yahoo.com...
> ok im working on a new bot its a "plugin bot"
> the bot will just be a standalone app
> then you download extra apps that have idfferent features on them like
> plugins
> i will also probably make an sdk so other people can ake plugins for my
> bots
> good idea?
> bad idea?
>

1  |  
Awportals.com is a privately held community resource website dedicated to Active Worlds.
Copyright (c) Mark Randall 2006 - 2022. All Rights Reserved.
Awportals.com   ·   ProLibraries Live   ·   Twitter   ·   LinkedIn