crashing problems (Community)

crashing problems // Community

1  |

wizard myrddin

May 27, 2001, 10:55pm
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody else is experencing browser crashing? by this I
mean aworld cause a fault in aworld.exe report when it crashes.

This happens in any world, including all aw worlds. But surprising, it does
not happen in any other Universe.

Yes before everone tells me I have up to date drivers, directx Version8 and
have turned down my multimedia to the lowest setting. Also I have had my
computer checked for faults and possible software/hardware conflicts.

This seems to have started last weekend and happens about 20 to 30 times a
day, resulting in that world cache dumping..

When you are trying to build a world this seems to take the edge of any
satisfaction of using AW.

Wiz

syntax

May 27, 2001, 11:25pm
Ugghh...this happened to me last year sometime around August. It just
started doing it one night over and over again about 150 times. The next
day I logged on and it got a bit more sparse. When about an hour to two
hours passed with sparse crashes, the crashing just stopped. Maybe it is
some sort of hidden stipulation in your citizenship? I could just see it
now...
"Build your own home in Cyberspace!"
"Send telegrams to friends you meet online!"
"Experience unbearable, frustrating, non-stop crashes at a random times
during your citizenship!"
"Join others that are logged into the AW Universe!"
--
Syntax
syntax at earthcorp.com
www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

chucks party

May 28, 2001, 4:56am
Yeah it's a noticeable problem, sometimes I will go from world to world and
no problem. Then all of a sudden I pop into another world and I get the
AW.exe error I hit ok and bye bye browser, lol Happens more often than other
times and does not seem to have anything to do with what you did or didn't
do. I just try to dump my cache or reboot thinking there might be too much
in my cache or I'm running low on resources. Then it won't happen again for
quite a while but there seems to really be no rhyme or reason to it. Just
that darn AW.exe thing crashing again, lol

[View Quote]

gamer

May 28, 2001, 6:53am
I too had this problem back when 3.0 first came out, it seems like one of
those problems that come and go, and im sure its been reported to the
programmers many times...but as usual the great AW customer shines through
when they e-mail you the words "If we can't get the error on our computer we
wont fix it."

Thanx AW, I'm sure your customers love you now...

-Gamer

[View Quote]

gamer

May 28, 2001, 6:55am
Typo
"...AW Customer shines...." should be "...AW Customer Care shines..."

wing

May 28, 2001, 1:45pm
Another typo-"programmers" should be singular. However, it's darn near impossible to fix a bug that you can't replicate because you
have not the slightest clue what's going on in the RAM of the machine, etc. when the crash occurs.
[View Quote]

facter

May 28, 2001, 2:24pm
.....I thought you had told me you had fixed this problem ?

I must of misunderstood? We'll work on it on Tuesday...

F.

[View Quote]

m a k a v e l i

May 28, 2001, 3:22pm
I'm having it now too, It worked fine but now it is crashing a lot.

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin

May 28, 2001, 3:53pm
Humm interesting,, know of quite a few starting to have this problem, at
first I did think it was something at my end was the cause, but even went
out and spent money on more memory to see if this helped in any way..

But Factor is back on the case this week, so with luck can find this little
gremlin in the mist..

Wiz

[View Quote]

insanity

May 28, 2001, 4:08pm
Two of the reasons crashes happens are do to graphics accelerators and also
IRQ settings. With 3.1 , if you have an onboard graphics chip, you may end up
sharing space of your HD for graphics... this can cause havoc if you are using
other programs while using AW. You may also have a problem with the IRQ being
shared with sound etc... causing crashes when sound starts. It all depends on
your motherboard, pc, and ability to set it all up properly. There are also
corrupted cache issues possible as well as settings being too low or available
HD space etc. Many variables as you can see. BUT I would look for IRQ
conflicts... may not read as a conflict but if sound and graphics share same
IRQ, I would promise you that you will crash, and crash often...
Hope this helps you...
Peace & health
InSaNiTy
http://pathservices.heartfall.com
http://worldhosting.heartfall.com

[View Quote] > Hi all,

> Just wondering if anybody else is experencing browser crashing? by this I
> mean aworld cause a fault in aworld.exe report when it crashes.
>
> This happens in any world, including all aw worlds. But surprising, it does
> not happen in any other Universe.
>
> Yes before everone tells me I have up to date drivers, directx Version8 and
> have turned down my multimedia to the lowest setting. Also I have had my
> computer checked for faults and possible software/hardware conflicts.
>
> This seems to have started last weekend and happens about 20 to 30 times a
> day, resulting in that world cache dumping..
>
> When you are trying to build a world this seems to take the edge of any
> satisfaction of using AW.
>
> Wiz

jfk2

May 28, 2001, 5:54pm
I've had my drop dead as well... But i do have this thing of trying to do
too many things while i'm in AW. Like use my IE5.0 browser. It loads up some
applet & eventually i drop out of that and AW gives me the OOPS ERROR POP
UP BOX & it goes bye bye.
But with me it's one of a few things that drop my browser into a crash...
1 - Playing some QBASIC game in a dos box [dos box when it is in full size
screen mode

2 - BETA TESTING games in their full size screen modes

3 - Sound Blaster Live WAV EDITOR [Change a MP3 to wav & edit it...
And that is the single biggest one that crashes not only AW but most
anything else as well after i exit that... Trying to edit a few 50mg files
takes enough to drop most pc into the ground.

4 - AW is running when i'm DJing [MP3's] and my 2 search & find MP3 programs
are running and a few GUINTELLA [like napster] are doing music finds &
downloads... THAT is sure to bomb not only AW but the entire PC sooner
or later...

Hmmmm.... Now i know why my poor WIN98SE wants to poop out every so
often with 3 worlds running & 2+ NEW Preston Bots v33 & AW & Newsgroups
& Email & i'm in the middle of CD-ROM Burning sessions... Hmmmm I wondered
why...
Now i know not to run so much.... But ever since i had a PC... I've always
tried to see if i could bomb the thing. From Telix [dos telephone modem
software] to running a bbs[Jet50BBS] to running many bbs door
games[Yankee-Trader,LORD,Trade Wars,Star Dock Loco] to dos editor[a-ed.exe]
to running various utilities & even trying my QBASIC programming editor...
SOONER or later that poor pc would hit the dust.
And if that didn't kill it... Lets see what any windows programs could do
to the thing.
But one huge advantage to TRYING TO BOMB YOUR PC is finding out the limits
of it. So it dosen't catch you by surprise and you are helpless to do
anything. Being the BETA TESTER has tought me to test everything to the
limits & if it is still running... Run it through the wall & through the door
& down the back back stairs & out to the back yard if it'll take it.
So with me...I'm always bombing out my AW sooner or later... But that is
why I tend to bomb it more by me trying to than you not trying to.

chucks party <Chucks_Party at hotmail.com> wrote in
<3b11f690 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Yeah it's a noticeable problem, sometimes I will go from world to world and
>no problem. Then all of a sudden I pop into another world and I get the
>AW.exe error I hit ok and bye bye browser, lol Happens more often than other
>times and does not seem to have anything to do with what you did or didn't
>do. I just try to dump my cache or reboot thinking there might be too much
>in my cache or I'm running low on resources. Then it won't happen again for
>quite a while but there seems to really be no rhyme or reason to it. Just
>that darn AW.exe thing crashing again, lol

jfk2

May 28, 2001, 6:35pm
HEY... AW... I'm looking for a job. I'll try and help you get the
coustomer's error on your computer so you can fix it.
So lets begin by me uploading all of my computer to yours... ALL of it
except for what is contained in the [ALT + 255 directory]... For those
who have never tried this... DON'T unless you can do it in a MS-DOS BOX...
BUT doing a md alt+255 = a blank named directory that windows will go nuts
on you when you try to do anything with it. You can't copy,move,open,or delete
it in windows. AND it will give you a few errors to boot. BUT it's great
to HIDE sensitive info. You can't even create one of these in windows...
BUT you can in MS-DOS using any program that allows you to create directories.
but then you can only access it in MS-DOS mode or a MS-DOS box...
So we upload all of my PC there & run all of my programs... YES...
I may want to run some of my CRACKz and SERIALz stuff too.. And all of my
gaming & other dos & windows gaming software as i sit in AW... And all of my
servers & world servers...and everything... And when you bomb out...
Then you can see what did it & fix the software... I'll be happy to move
to where your company is located... I sure would love to leave this fine
state of NY... I love it as much as i love... hmmm.... Aahhhhh... Hmmmmm...
OK.... I decided not to say that one... OK this name will be ok....
As much as i love CANCER[Around AW... I hope that isn't someones name]...
But that other one i was thinking about is someones name in AW.
But by putting my PC onto yours and letting me test it to
the point it drops... Then saying HELP HELP..
you will have the best way to fix it.
When do i start my new job? I wish the sooner the better will be your answer.

gamer <Gamer at active-worlds.co.uk> wrote in
<3b12121b at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>I too had this problem back when 3.0 first came out, it seems like one
>of those problems that come and go, and im sure its been reported to the
>programmers many times...but as usual the great AW customer shines
>through when they e-mail you the words "If we can't get the error on our
>computer we wont fix it."
>
>Thanx AW, I'm sure your customers love you now...
>
>-Gamer

wing

May 28, 2001, 8:46pm
God man, I might hate you but thats CREULTY TO PCS. Hand over the hardware and let me give you a mac. Ýou're going to smoke you CPU
if you keep that crap up, I'm sure your AMD K5 can't take full load for more than maybe 5 minutes.
[View Quote]

jfk2

May 28, 2001, 9:39pm
I know someone that will be most happy to read that...
Maybe they can help me BOMB the thing out too...
MY ENEMY... You all know who that is.... I bet he is thankful that i
put that much effort into bombing my pc than trying to do much else...
But that is one way he can help me to be rid of him... Helping me to bomb
out my own pc...
I know it seems like i's CREULTY to my pc.... But it is MY PC...
In a way I'm glad it's not a HUMAN i'm working so hard at bombing out...
But it does test the limits of the pc. It is many times a very wise thing
to do if you get a new store bought PC. WHY? You put the thing througgh
the paces & when it craps out... HEY STORE... YOU SOLD ME A DEFECTIVE
PC... FIX OR MY $$ BACK PLEASE... OR THE STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL WILL LOVE
TO HEAR ABOUT THIS...
So many stores will bend over backwards to make you happy... You
are trying to run so many programs that something fails... AND with
all of these waranties guaranteeing that it won't fail... AND somehow you
do make it fail.... Hmmmmm....

DOES anyone remember an old tv show called FIGHT BACK?
http://www.fightback.com/
With David Harowitz hosting the show... The thing he did was to test
products to see if they live up to the manufactures claims...
And most of the times they did... BUT then there were some times they
did not... WELL... When i get a PC that bombs too many times because i
BETA TEST IT to see if something drops dead... I get it replaced.
AND YES... I do know the proper channels to get the max exposure to guarantee
they will be most happy to fix my problems with their products...
I've only had about 35 yrs of doing things like this... SO you gain
valuable knowledge real fast... I've had to put WT GRANTS,
SIBLEYS, GLOBE SHOPPING[Globe was like a Walmart found in Phoenix AZ and other
South West areas], WOOL-WORTH Stores, & COOKS [Cooks was another Wallmart
type of store] and many food shopping stores for price changing & bait
& switch practicing.

That is one reason I'm really MEAN to my PC... When i spend my $$ for
something... I expect it to work & work as PROMISED or there is HELL
TO PAY if it dosen't.

What many people fail to realize... If they have been taken by the store...
And they go back to do something & nothing can be done...
Your next stop is NOT the attorney general office... IT SHOULD BE THE PRESS.
WHY THE PRESS? They have a huge YAP when it comes to informing readers
about some nasty things happening in their communities...
TV STATIONS are just as good... The more PUBLICITY you bring upon the cheating
store or business... And their INCOME DROPS = THEY GO BROKE...
OR THEY FIX YOUR COMPLAINT FAST to regain their coustomers... and make things
correct again.

wing <bathgate at prodigy.net> wrote in <3b12d55f at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>God man, I might hate you but thats CREULTY TO PCS. Hand over the
>hardware and let me give you a mac. Ýou're going to smoke you CPU if you
>keep that crap up, I'm sure your AMD K5 can't take full load for more
[View Quote]

wing

May 28, 2001, 10:06pm
Wanna push a PC to it's limits? Don't make it crash, moron. I know exactly how to push a machine to the breaking point, and it sure
as hell isn't much of anything software side like you think. Also, it voids the crap out of the warrenty, but I get what I paid for
out of it. Gimmie a soldering iron, a gift certificate to radio shack and a CCN for online parts buying and I'll turn any PC into a
godly performance machine.
[View Quote]

s p a r k

May 29, 2001, 8:05pm
Fix mine, tehehe ^_^

[View Quote]

facter facter@awsupport

I am constantly trying to fix problems, and in this case have identified a
problem that we didnt know about, and am currently working to get it
resolved.

If we cant get the problem on our computer, do you know what we try to do
first?

Build a system with exactly the same specifications graphics wise, and test
the heck out of it to FIND the problem. This is how we have isolated the
problem that WM has been having, so, therefore, your argument is quite
strange in my eyes when I sit here and do these tests all day long... and,
again, for the record, we now know *what* this problem is, it is only a
matter of finding how it is that we can fix it that is being worked on.

And the issue only affects one chipset, no other - which is probably why it
was missed in the first place as it is a more obscure version of
thatchipset.

And yes, I'm sure at least the customers that have been having problems with
this chipset will love us for actively seeking to fix this problem.

Facter
AW Support.

> -Gamer

[View Quote]

wing

May 31, 2001, 4:58pm
*blink* You do WHAT? I bet you wouldn't be able to emulate my graphics system though, and since I'm apparently on my own with the
damned flickering problem I doubt you'd try anyway. Wonder if you even got my email regarding it, Prodigay has been having a beef
with delivering my emails lately, holding it up for weeks, months, indefinitely. Sounds like the FBI installed a carnivore system on
me or some crap-based on a 486.
[View Quote]

run facter run

May 31, 2001, 5:57pm
[View Quote] Okay, well I mean what we do is set up a machine with roughly the same specs
and video card and see what happens under that system...

....no, I dont think I did get your email =/

Facter.

[View Quote]

wing

May 31, 2001, 6:38pm
Well, in general my video card is physically modified so I suspect crappy soldering on my part is the problem anyway, I'll
investigate it myself and send again if it doesn't help any.