Newbie Guide to the Newsgroups: Take 2 (VERY long!) (Community)

Newbie Guide to the Newsgroups: Take 2 (VERY long!) // Community

Because *you* demanded it! (Ok, so only *one* person demanded it... :P)
Here it is, the second installment of the Newbie Guide! Remember, this
is all educational, so read and learn about your fellow posters! ;)

Newbie Guide to the Newsgroups
------------------------------

Hello, and welcome to the AW Community NewsGroup! You are about to
embark on a journey of information, communication, and learning! Before
you can become a full-fledged "member" of this bustling and busy
community, you must first learn how it works! This guide is here to help
you get a feel for the NGs and make sure you won't run into any...
trouble.

But before we begin, let us introduce you to just some of the people
you'll encounter here in the Newsgroups!

agent fox mulder/col klink - A real mental case, this one. Changing
names and personalities faster than you can say "twit", this "Jeckyl &
Hyde" is hard to peg and will often come out of nowhere. Though he seems
to have gone into remission as of late, there's no telling when "Hyde"
will strike again...

agent1 - This veteran of the NGs is still alive and kicking, and always
ready and willing to annoy anyone he sees fit. Lately, however, he seems
to have taken it upon himself to directing his annoying "talents" at the
uneducated that stumble into his realm. Sadly, it falls on deaf ears
sometimes...

alphabit phalpha - Still posting, and still smiling! When reading this
one's posts, you're guaranteed to either get a smiley or a CY reminder!
Just try not to mention clothing or shopping, or she'll never stop
posting!

ananas - One of the resident techies here in the NGs, ananas is always
willing and able to dish out technical advice. He's also willing and
able to dish out abuse reports, so try not to piss him off too much...

andras - Another NG techie, this one took it upon himself to create his
own newsgroups, free from the screw-ups and harranguings of AWCom's NGs.
The better to control the idiots with, my dear!

anduin lothario - Former USWF head turned Gorean, he's the NGs resident
expert on all things Gorean. But since no one else wants to touch the
subject with a 50 ft. pole, he rarely gets to say anything...

builderz - Very professional and always ready with a plug, he is the
owner of Stuff-X, a hosting company. Just don't try to copy anything he
does, as he's trying to maintain an image here! Watch out for falling
lawsuits...

captain mad mike - One of the SW "followers", this one tends to err on
the side of goofiness more often than not. Maybe it's something in the
SW City water?

casay - Champion of Accutrans! She'll make sure you buy a copy, or die
trying! For anything dealing with Accutrans, Wayne, COBs, Eep, etc, this
is the chick to see!

chucks party - This man has just one thing on his mind... Just In: 24
hours a day, 7 days a week. Since he seems to have calmed down a tad
from his most recent tirade, it might be a good idea to not mention
you-know-who for a while...

crazy glue il/s p a r k - Another of the "kiddies" running loose in the
NGs, this one seems to have gone into hiding as of late. When he first
arrived here, he was as green as newbies get. But, thanks to extensive
and brutal NG training, there's hope for him yet!

datedman - The "old fogie" of the NGs, datedman is actually the original
creator of the AW NGs. Now, however, he's content to sit in his rocking
chair and fling zingers at passing newbies, as well as toss in a few
barbs at his former Worlds, Inc cohorts for good measure...

eep - It wouldn't be the NGs without Eep. Surviving everything from
"twits" to near-bannishment, Eep is like the lingering smell in the
fridge that just doesn't go away. In fact, the question is no longer
"What would the NGs be like without Eep?". Now, it's "What would Eep be
like without the NGs?" Like the IRS, Eep once tried to go the "kinder,
gentler" route, but it didn't last. At least know he knows to take a
deep breath before ripping his victims to shreds...

facter - Facter is the Tech Support man for AWCom who took it upon
himself to actually pay attention to these NGs on behalf of the company.
(We all think he just drew the short straw!) Now, whether he actually
listens to what's being said is another matter entirely...

gamer - Another "plugger", this one's the owner and operator of
active-worlds.co.uk. He's also a rare voice of reason here in these NGs,
so pay attention to him. Just don't get him started on tourists...

goober king - After leaving the NGs several months back in a huge
hissy-fit, the Goobster's back in the saddle again, looking to wreak
havoc and chaos once more.... (Oh, wait... the NG already *has* that...
damn!)

j b e l l - Yet another "plugger", this guy not only operates his own
NGs, but also a hosting service and a "pay-to-surf" program. But,
whereas Andras's NGs seem to attract the more sensible users, JBell
always seems to get stuck with the 12 yr olds...

jfk2 - Chucks party's partner in crime, this one is beyond hope. Ellipse
abuse, sentence fragments, and random ALL CAPS words, he seems to have
taken a page or two from AFM's book. And if he can go a whole week with
out typing "Just In", "New York", "Broadway", "OneSummer", "FriendPA",
"Chucks Party", "GAY", or "Lit sideways", (whatever the hell THAT
means...) consider it a miracle!

kah - Watching this one grow in the NG environment is the perfect case
study for the effects of the NGs. Formerly posting USWF spam and random
tidbits, KAH has now "evolved" into a full-fledged NGer. Heck, he's
almost reached "Eep" level. Just has to get past Wing....

leaf - "It's all about the Commonwealth, baby!" Yet another "plugger"
here in the NGs that also runs a hosting service. Unfortunately for him,
plugging is what got him into trouble in the first place, forever
securing his place in NG lore. Has he learned his lesson? Only time will
tell...

moria - One of the "Ancients" of AW, this one is a rather on-again,
off-again poster, and seems content to focus on the stupidity that's
rampant in the NGs. And don't let the name fool you, it's a guy!

nornny - This is another who has since grown and developed here in the
NGs. Having had his optimism, objectivity, and sanity sufficiently
crushed by the harsh NG environment, Nornny is now a bonafied regular!
Congrats!

sw chris - Another SW shadow, this one still has some cheerfulness left
in him yet to be snuffed out. And so, he uses it to try and turn even
the most bitter subject into something goofy, with only marginal
success...

sw comit - The "original" SW, when he first appeared in the NGs, he
brought all his followers with him. (And they're still here!) Much like
the rest of his legion, he tends towards the goofy with all manner of
lingo and faces. Now if we could only get him to quote...

syntax - SW follower #3! This one actually seems to be SW Comit's
right-hand man, as he seems to emulate his leader the best. And whatever
you do, don't look into his eyes... O_O

tony m - Defender of the ASCII! If you dare post using HTML, tony will
be the first to pounce on you! And don't even think of trying to defend
yourself. Just get in line like the rest of us...

tyrell - Another "Ancient" in the NGs, he's also quick with a plug.
Unfortunately, he also seems to have a problem with the concept of
"user-friendliness", as those who can't figure out programs aren't worth
the attention. Tech Support, he is not...

wing - Yup, he's still here. If Eep ever *were* to leave the NGs, you
can be sure that Wing would be right there to take his place as Head
Dick. (redundant?) With a mouth and an ego to match, Wing is sure to
pick up the scraps that Eep left behind. And woe to the newbie who tries
to challenge Wing's technical "skillz". In fact, the only difference
between Eep and Wing is the fact that people actually listen to what Eep
has to say sometimes...

Whew! Now that you know some of the characters that frequent this place,
now it's time to get you settled with the basic rules of how this NG
operates:

#1: This community NG comes with a charter that outlines certain rules
one should follow when posting. Ignore it. Everyone else does, including
the people who wrote it.
#2: Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever post in HTML! You will be
summarily drawn and quartered.
#3: This is an ActiveWorlds community NG. That means that only topics
that pertain to the general AW community should be discussed here. We
don't want to hear about your new world's problems or the fight you had
with another user the other day. And we *certainly* don't want to hear
about other universes or individual organizations within AW. We like our
scope nice and narrow, thank you.
#4: Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever spam the NGs. You will be
burned at the stake.
#5: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! (Translation: Don't encourage idiots. If you
leave them alone, they do eventually go away... well, MOST do...)
#6: If you do decide to get involved in a flame war, bring a flak
jacket. It gets hot in there.
#7: Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use improper English
spelling or grammar. You will be hanged.
#8: Don't bother introducing yourself. We don't care if you're new to
the NGs; we'll be able to determine that based on your first post. Trust
us.
#9: Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever post attachments. You will
be tarred and feathered.
#10: If you have a fragile ego, you shouldn't be here. It will be
smashed into a bloody pulp within the week!

Tips on how to get the most popular posts:
1. Mention any of the following topics:
A. Comparison of NewYork/Broadway worlds and/or their owners
B. Goreans
C. USWF
D. AWCom's incompetence
E. Eep
2. Break any of the aforementioned rules
3. Do not speak coherently or with common sense. Those who do rarely
ever get replies.
4. Attempt to psychoanalyze someone
5. Preach
6. Flame

(No one said anything about *positive* popularity ;))

Now that you have a much better understanding of how the newsgroups
operates, you should have no trouble at all navigating this harsh
environment. Welcome to the newsgroups, and have a pleasant stay! :)

Open the flamegates of Hell!
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

casay

May 18, 2001, 4:55am
I LOVE IT!!! :-) Roflmao.... wonder if AW will post this up? lol We need
this set up on a web site though so we can just type in the link for the
education of newbies. ;-)
Casay
P.S.- Pretty scary you got us down us all so well! Eep, we need to throw
them a curve huh? How about you post like me and I post like you for a week?
rofl more... tooo funny.

<snipped>

moria

May 18, 2001, 5:21am
Brilliant:)

yep should deffinately be on a fixed link to the newsgroups and updated
regularly with new characters as and when they arrive:)

Moria

[View Quote] <snipped for brevity>

chucks party

May 18, 2001, 5:52am
I couldn't stop LMAO! Very funny stuff 8-)

jfk2

May 18, 2001, 5:59am
Well.... He missed a few people in there... One of them was
Just In & the other one was Kellee...

SO..... Chuck has a good point there...

Just In... You post like me for a week... And I'll try my best to post like
you.... With any luck you & I can pull this off.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

casay <casay2 at home.com> wrote in <3b04c769$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>I LOVE IT!!! :-) Roflmao.... wonder if AW will post this up? lol We need
>this set up on a web site though so we can just type in the link for the
>education of newbies. ;-)
>Casay
>P.S.- Pretty scary you got us down us all so well! Eep, we need to throw
>them a curve huh? How about you post like me and I post like you for a week?
>rofl more... tooo funny.
>
><snipped>

wing

May 18, 2001, 8:04am
[View Quote] > kah - Watching this one grow in the NG environment is the perfect case
> study for the effects of the NGs. Formerly posting USWF spam and random
> tidbits, KAH has now "evolved" into a full-fledged NGer. Heck, he's
> almost reached "Eep" level. Just has to get past Wing....

*whack* not a CHANCE.

> wing - Yup, he's still here. If Eep ever *were* to leave the NGs, you
> can be sure that Wing would be right there to take his place as Head
> Dick. (redundant?) With a mouth and an ego to match, Wing is sure to
> pick up the scraps that Eep left behind. And woe to the newbie who tries
> to challenge Wing's technical "skillz". In fact, the only difference
> between Eep and Wing is the fact that people actually listen to what Eep
> has to say sometimes...

Hit the nail on the head. Scary though, you were the one that planted the seeds Goober. Taught me how to build and turned me from a
lame tourist to a tourist with world domination on his mind.

nornny

May 18, 2001, 8:51am
kellee, we can use. But Just In doesn't even come in and post unless you
provoke him. :) He's never participated in the newsgroup really, even before
you guys came along, I believe. :) An occasional help to the newsgroup, but
not a serious player. :))

Nornny

Kellee's certainly been around for a long time, but she's not really
that active a member in the NGs either. She's only started posting
recently. Perhaps if we give her some more time, I'll be able to put her
in version 3. :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
She just needs to find some free time, first!
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

heh Good point. Still, I think that should read "a lame tourist to a
lame tourist with world domination on his mind". I know I certainly
didn't teach you how to be lame, you already knew that. ;)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Still has the fort of yours in GooberTown...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

shred

May 18, 2001, 12:01pm
Hey! You forgot me.

Shred: A reclusive lurker at heart, this computer geek may actually stick
his head out of his dark cave every now and then and say something. Beware.

And 298819 returns to his cave...

leaf

May 18, 2001, 1:40pm
WTG Goober - I love it :)

Leaf
The Commonwealth
www.awcw.co.uk
Offering World & Bot Hosting
[View Quote]

wing

May 18, 2001, 5:44pm
Bad case of the early morning, that's what I meant.
[View Quote]

sw comit

May 18, 2001, 6:38pm
LOL those guides are great, Goober. Ahhh everyone tells me to learn to
quote; what do you mean anyway? I just delete everything in the message
cause it screws up my signature.

--
SW Comit
swcomit at swcity.net
Mayor of SW City
http://www.swcity.net
President of Community Linkage Commission
http://comlinkage.tripod.com

wing

May 18, 2001, 6:52pm
Not that your signature is at all important to us. We know who you are already. Just leave it in there for the hell of it, okay?
[View Quote]

syntax

May 18, 2001, 6:59pm
[View Quote] > syntax - SW follower #3! This one actually seems to be SW Comit's
> right-hand man, as he seems to emulate his leader the best. And whatever
> you do, don't look into his eyes... O_O

Right-handed me

captain mad mike - One of the SW "followers", this one tends to err on
the side of goofiness more often than not. Maybe it's something in the
SW City water?

but
Left-handed him

O_O

gonna be hard to get past you, that's for sure! ;-))

"Quoting" - The act of repeating the message you are replying to in your
post so that other may see what you're referring to without having to
climb up the thread tree. Like so:

[View Quote] See that? That's quoting. Most halfway decent news readers have the
ability to quote. (Mine has a nice big Quote button :)) And if your news
reader is in any way decent, it should easily be able to stick a quote
between what you post and your signature without "screwing it up".

Notes to add a "How to Quote" section to the next guide...
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

s p a r k

May 18, 2001, 7:26pm
> crazy glue il/s p a r k - Another of the "kiddies" running loose in the
> NGs, this one seems to have gone into hiding as of late. When he first
> arrived here, he was as green as newbies get. But, thanks to extensive
> and brutal NG training, there's hope for him yet!
<snip>

HAHAHAH! I'm in NG Refuge where you con't beat me anymore! Muahahaha
Well, I found another Multi-Player program--it's still not as cool as aw--
Because I'm tired of AW with all of it's errors... SO I come in about once a
day to check my telegrams, can anyone inform me what's been happening
lately? Besides all of the spammers?!

Lol. Peace and Glod Bless you all,

S p a r K(y)
P.S Am I out of NG Survivor , it I'm not can someone send me to the correct
place to verify I'm here?

captain mad mike

May 19, 2001, 1:15am
Oh yeah, the water? I think we had a problem at comit's pumping plant and
some of those darned radioactive chemicals leaked out of Server Island
again. You forgot to tell everyone that my brain sometimes gets all big and
buff and causes me to have big periods of creativity in which I spam the
wishlist NGs with ideas...

and this one is too long to "quote."

--
My two cents,
Captain MAD Mike

Deleted it me O_O
What comit says that O_O
SW City lingo me O_O
Overuses SW City lingo and the O_O me O_O

fyrene

May 19, 2001, 1:23am
you forgot nova you know the one who doesnt use any punctuation and speeels
relly bad and runs his sentences all together and goes on and on mostly
about nothing and gets bashed all the time for doing it

heh no, I didn't forget him... I actually talked about him in the first
Guide, and since he hasn't really posted much in here since February, I
figured he'd gone to greener (pun intended) pastures. :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
I don't think anyone could forget nova even if they *wanted* to! :P
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu

kellee

May 19, 2001, 9:55pm
Yeah, i only lost my marbles recently..... before that i had more
sense...:o))

[View Quote]

jfk2

May 20, 2001, 6:28am
Kellee... You still haven't lost your marbles. I certainly lost my marbles
there for awhile until Kellee came to my rescue and found them for me...
And that certainly will make Just In a happy camper.

kellee <kellee at my.activeworlds.com> wrote in