Possible mem leak? (Community)

Possible mem leak? // Community

1  |

wing

Apr 10, 2001, 7:59pm
I was checking the NG's in Outlook Express and fired up AW into standalone mode (via skip button) to go do some theoretical changes
to one of my builds. After hopping through my various AlphaWorld teleports, I found the one I wanted and wandered around a little
bit. No midis, no MP3s, no wavs. Just normal building and lighting. Was about 5 minutes before EVERYTHING I tried doing gave me a
not enough memory error, which means I was using 1256mb of RAM (1000 meg swap and 256 physical). I wasn't doing anything out of the
ordinary, and only other programs running were ICQ, AIM, Motherboard Monitor 5 and the Creative Live! Ware programs. However, since
these were idling in their normal configuration, it's unlikely that they were the cause of this mess. I couldn't get access to
exactly what my available resources were at that time, couldn't load the program. I have reproduced it one more time, and still
cannot get the exact specs. Somthing's happening, it's not just a fluke. RAM is 100% functional even though it's brand new (cute
little in-use lights :) More specific things, such as the coords I teleported between and the messages I viewed in Outlook are
available upon request.

[Win98SE, 256mb new PC133, Duron 700 at 700, GeForce 3 MX, Oulook Express v5.00.2919.6600]

wing

Apr 10, 2001, 8:00pm
[View Quote] D'oh! GeForce 2 MX, not 3. A 3 would be nice though....... Also, all drivers are up to date.

[View Quote] [...]

wing

Apr 10, 2001, 8:52pm
More than likely. But I can't complain to Micro$oft because that costs money (You'd think they'd have an 800 number...)
[View Quote]

jfk2

Apr 11, 2001, 8:28am
sometimes I LOVE the standalone mode of the browser. And sometimes it's a
MUST to use it like that. Especially after certain people almost swear
that they NEVER Eject someone & then do the Eject anyways...
### Ok... No names here... The world owner knows who HE is that I'm
refering to... ###
But it's super when your ip address changes & you can pop into this world
just long enough for you to do a decent download before the IDIOT
world owner either does the eject himself or sends in his nic
named BOT to do the job for him. But in stand alone mode... You can
fly & pass through stuff. And even edit things where you couldn't have
done so before in real mode. [It dosen't stay long]... But yes... you can
play midi's as long as it's in your AW browser cache somewheres
I've edited this world's downtown areas It all works like it's real.
Just make sure you set your browser to max setting 120 meters out.
and in the downtown area of this world where the owner wants to
keep ejecting me... I grab a few ju_line1.rwx's and bury them just under
the road surface with the midi create name jfk on them And keep going until
i'm about 10km out. I can play all the midis stored in the browser's
cache. Including the ones that were located in some objects path
like house2.mid. And if it was real i'd use some natural object to play
the music from. create a taxi and park it to look good & play from that.
But since we are talking about stand alone mode. Who cares what i use.
Street light[traffic light] Side of building. It workd great.
But move out far enough say 20n 0e & then go back
to 10s 0e... And everything you did is gone.
but i have stayed in stand alone mode for hours at a time.
And no problems at all. But sometims it's just fun to get away from the
crowds that way.

wing <bathgate at prodigy.net> wrote in <3ad38237 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>I was checking the NG's in Outlook Express and fired up AW into
>standalone mode (via skip button) to go do some theoretical changes
>to one of my builds. After hopping through my various
>AlphaWorld teleports, I found the one I wanted and wandered
>around a little
>bit. No midis, no MP3s, no wavs. Just normal building and lighting.
>Was about 5 minutes before EVERYTHING I tried doing gave me a
>not enough memory error, which means I was using 1256mb of RAM
>(1000 meg swap and 256 physical). I wasn't doing anything out of the
>ordinary, and only other programs running were ICQ, AIM,
>Motherboard Monitor 5 and the Creative Live! Ware programs. However, since
>these were idling in their normal configuration, it's unlikely
>that they were the cause of this mess. I couldn't get access to
>exactly what my available resources were at that time, couldn't
>load the program. I have reproduced it one more time, and still
>cannot get the exact specs. Somthing's happening, it's not
>just a fluke. RAM is 100% functional even though it's brand new (cute
>little in-use lights :) More specific things, such as the
>coords I teleported between and the messages I viewed in Outlook are
>available upon request.
>
>[Win98SE, 256mb new PC133, Duron 700 at 700, GeForce 3 MX,
>Oulook Express v5.00.2919.6600]

foxmccloud

Apr 11, 2001, 9:22pm
There's also a related great feature of human brain, which is the ability to act so as not to get ejected from the world you want to
visit. Then you can go there anytime you wish without using the standalone browser. Not sure all versions are equipped with this
feature though.

Fox Mc Cloud

"jfk2" <gkieffer at twcny.rr.com> a écrit dans le message news: 90803FEEFgkiefferaznetcom at news.activeworlds.com...
> sometimes I LOVE the standalone mode of the browser. And sometimes it's a
> MUST to use it like that. Especially after certain people almost swear
> that they NEVER Eject someone & then do the Eject anyways...
> ### Ok... No names here... The world owner knows who HE is that I'm
> refering to... ###

jfk2

Apr 12, 2001, 12:05am
Ok... Let me give you a hint to the people that do alot of Ejectiong
when they say they don't & they say they care but it's not true
with them...
My real good friend is Chucks Party and he was the one that was
slamming these people for a very short time while i stayed out of it.
WELL.... It's those people. But i'm not going to name any names
here except from my friend so you can get the idea of which people i
refer to [So as not to get another LONG winded war raging again]
That is why i failed to mention names... WE BOTH were shot out of
that place... But that is in the past. And of course i can't get in
there until my ip# changes & then i can get in just long enough
to do a decent
world download and then i can go back in there in stand alone mode.
Now i do know that does use some BRAIN power to figure out that
you can visit their world even after you have been ejected...
And i use my brains. But lately i've been going into an even better world
BW... [Nope... It's NOT Broadway World] It's Beta World instead...
I must admit that the music is much better there
[My Bot Provides The Music] And the people you meet there are really
fantastic. It offers solitude as well [5000 km world]. And there
is absolutely no world owners that prefer to Eject you and then say
the care and do all that other nonsense... It's SUPER there... And I
sure don't need stand alone mode to enjoy that world...

foxmccloud <FoxMcCloud at cyberbrain.com> wrote in
<3ad4e73e at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>There's also a related great feature of human brain, which is
>the ability to act so as not to get ejected from the world
>you want to visit. Then you can go there anytime you wish without
>using the standalone browser. Not sure all versions are equipped
>with this feature though.
>
>Fox Mc Cloud

foxmccloud

Apr 12, 2001, 4:41am
Well sorry then... I thought you pissed someone off and complained about getting ejected...
I wasn't in a good mood when I wrote that :o)
Sorry.

Fox Mc Cloud

"jfk2" <gkieffer at twcny.rr.com> a écrit dans le message news: 9080D30F6gkiefferaznetcom at news.activeworlds.com...
> Ok... Let me give you a hint to the people that do alot of Ejectiong
> when they say they don't & they say they care but it's not true
> with them...
> My real good friend is Chucks Party and he was the one that was
> slamming these people for a very short time while i stayed out of it.
> WELL.... It's those people. But i'm not going to name any names
> here except from my friend so you can get the idea of which people i
> refer to [So as not to get another LONG winded war raging again]
> That is why i failed to mention names... WE BOTH were shot out of
> that place... But that is in the past. And of course i can't get in
> there until my ip# changes & then i can get in just long enough
> to do a decent
> world download and then i can go back in there in stand alone mode.
> Now i do know that does use some BRAIN power to figure out that
> you can visit their world even after you have been ejected...
> And i use my brains. But lately i've been going into an even better world
> BW... [Nope... It's NOT Broadway World] It's Beta World instead...
> I must admit that the music is much better there
> [My Bot Provides The Music] And the people you meet there are really
> fantastic. It offers solitude as well [5000 km world]. And there
> is absolutely no world owners that prefer to Eject you and then say
> the care and do all that other nonsense... It's SUPER there... And I
> sure don't need stand alone mode to enjoy that world...

m a r c u s

Apr 22, 2001, 10:50am
LOL

[View Quote]