Newsgroups are popping up like weed (Community)

Newsgroups are popping up like weed // Community

1  |

andras

Feb 20, 2001, 7:10am
Hi,

This is a very good think so many people tryes to help with creating newsgroups. Unfortunately you guys did not think what will happen if there is 10s of newsgroups around the same topic. Each group will have a few regular visitors, but only a few ppl will be able to keep track all of them. The beauty of the newsgroup in our case that it reaches a huge audience with common interest. If we create several of them - we dilute this advantage.
Yes - there is a need for an unmoderated (and no user/password protected group) where even tourists can ask / post questions but there is NO NEED for ngs which lifetime is only a few month/weeks (depends on the creator's desire) and only a few ppl frequent them. Don't forget folks, the older an ng the more answer can you find in them with a simple search!
To maintain a newsgroup (even when it is not moderated) requires attention by the owner.It needs server which runs 24/7 and with proper backups and protection agains mishaps/hackers/etc.
So far I don't know too many of such a groups which meet those criterias.

Andras
P.S. I didn't tell this because I run an ng but I frequent several well established newsgroups and learned from their past :)

j b e l l

Feb 20, 2001, 1:29pm
*cough news://awjbell.com *cough* (sorry.. couldn't help hehe.. but i agree
with you.. perhaps too many are popping up... i think i started it when i
got mine.. sorry! lol.. but anywhoo.. I have lots of topics, and unlike AFM
and others NGs.. they're in trees so you easily sort them.. it's not always
up cuz the program i use is shit.. but i try to keep it up as much as the
time i can, I spend time maintaining it.. and obviously advertising cuz i
won't shut up about it here, lol but anywho, i'de appreciate it if you guys
would check it out.. if there is a topic which you'de like to discuss i'll
gladly add it to a tree, or even make a new tree, I'de be happy to enable
ppl to have conversations about something not listed, the only reason i
didn't start up a ton of groups first off was because that it would be
pointless to have a lot of groups if there is no interest, that's why it's
add-on-request.. thx for your time, i hope you enjoy it)

--

J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

[View Quote]

agent fox mulder

Feb 20, 2001, 1:34pm
I have 170 topics and still adding
Hey go to news://24.68.170.5
For over 170 different newsgroups,
I can add more for you to.
[View Quote]

rolu

Feb 20, 2001, 1:49pm
170 empty newsgroups you mean?

[View Quote]

agent fox mulder

Feb 20, 2001, 1:51pm
That cause i started it yesterday People have to go there first
Hey go to news://24.68.170.5
For over 170 different newsgroups,
I can add more for you to.
[View Quote]

nova n@n.com

Feb 20, 2001, 2:08pm
Yeh one other unmoderated server would be plenty be it jbells kahs or even
agent fox molders.
Agent.... you need to trim that thing down alot to many ngs wont do any
good.
So far even though jbells server is down alot it seems to be the best sence
it has the most aw related groups and the like as well as haveing a decent
mix of other groups that will be of interest to aw cits.
But it is awesome to finaly see people takeing more interest in the comunity
aspect of aw by putting up ngs etc.
and as for a ng for my site thanks for the offer jbell and i think i will
take you up on it:)
the name id like for it would be simply novas-gaming-center i forget if its
even possible to have the dashes if not just kill them and thanks.
just incase you dont see this thread a copy was sent as a tgram

actually, I've also sorted my NGs into trees, and I try to moderate it.
anyway, I've got only 3 public Ngs at the moment, one is a test and will be
deleted and I have 1 private for the beta testers of my new bot. I hope that
you don't mind, I'm not trying to compete with you, nor with anybody else,
just make my own service, primarely for myself and my projects. I haven't
made any of those Topic groups (like bots, community, sdk, worldbuilders,
etc) because I don't want to make a server with those topics, and I've sayd
this before.
Thanks for your attention, and I'll check out your server too :-))

agent fox mulder

Feb 20, 2001, 5:15pm
Well see the ones they dont want they dont have to get like say they only
want aw and music then they get-All the aw ones,Music,Napster,60's etc....

Hey go to news://24.68.170.5
For over 170 different newsgroups,
I can add more for you to. such as misc,
test,Activeworlds,music,sports etc.....