am i the only one who thinks this? or is it the negative seems to overpower the positive.. (Community)

am i the only one who thinks this? or is it the negative seems to overpower the positive.. // Community

1  |

j b e l l

Feb 5, 2001, 10:11pm
i think you need to realize the strength of programmers and their
abilites.....the closest i got to programming was using VB and with someone
else's BAS file.. so all i did was make interfaces pretty much heh... that
and irc scripting which i will laugh if you say is difficult.. i was there
for a month and become better then some of the ppl who spent ages there..
but you have to expect that from ppl who use dalnet, lol anywho..
programming would have to be hard as hell.. otherwise not only would they
not be paid well, there would be gobs of programs available.. so i'm gonna
acknowledge the greatness of all these programmers and their hard work, and
pay for what i use, and praise them for their strengths rather then beat
them for their weaknesses.. i don't think i person would want to become
better at what they do if they are constantly beaten for slight errors-if
you don't like something.. no one is forcing you to use it.. that's the
glory of it all.. you don't have to do it.. but yet you continue to come...
so that must say something not only about yourself, but the ppl who designed
the programs themselves.. thank you, that is all....

--
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

35850 !

Feb 5, 2001, 10:31pm
Difficulty is not an excuse for incompetence. Besides, it's all relative;
programming is a difficult field compared to, for example, cleaning floors,
but that does not give a programmer an excuse to be bad at his work. If he
can't handle it, maybe he should be the one mopping.

As far as, "that must say something abou the programs themselves," you're
right. Not for the correct reason, though. The reason people like me who
are irritated by the current state of AW continue to watch it, and even use
it, is that the idea behind it is excellent, even if the implementation is
severely lacking.

You're not going to improve the world by saying, "you're doing great, keep
up the good work," especially if it's not true.

[View Quote]

j b e l l

Feb 5, 2001, 10:41pm
if roland wasn't what i thought of as a good programer, then i wouldn't
praise him.. but i feel he is, and therefore i do... you wonder why he might
be unmotivated to do the things some of you demand... it's perfectly clear
to me why he does not..

--
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

You know what? I think you're both right about some things. One thing I
would like to point out is that having bugs is natural for a program. All
of them are not caused on purpose, but some of them can result if you fail
to think through some very basic things and make a bonehead programming
error. That's the purpose of the beta stage, and making dumb mistakes
happens to everyone, too.

For example, you know why the last Mars probe crashed full tilt into the
planet's surface? The reason was because some scientist made a bonehead
mistake and did not convert some very basic measurements from standard to
metric. Why did he make this mistake? Because the error was so simple it
went right over the scientists head, the people who review all the
calculations, and the people who review the reviewers.

35850 is right. Difficulty is not an excuse for incompetance. It can only
be a obstacle on the way to excellence.

:)
SW Chris

[View Quote]

the derek

the only reason the software in aw sucks is the lack of money aw has.
earn more money...
it DONT use it
can complain, otherwise its your decision
[View Quote]

sw comit

------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C08FC2.4DC11220

I've said it once (well about 50 times really) and I'll say it again: =
They need to improve Alphaworld, more tourist would register if they =
weren't so limited, especially when they can be playing far better games =
out on the web.

------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C08FC2.4DC11220

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've said it once (well about 50 times =
really) and=20
I'll say it again:&nbsp; They need to improve Alphaworld, more tourist =
would=20
register if they weren't so limited, especially when they can be playing =
far=20
better games out on the web.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C08FC2.4DC11220--

j b e l l

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C08FC8.F213F800

need I remind you it's only $20 a year.. i guarantee all of you reading =
this pay more to connect to the internet and yet you don't jump down =
their throught at every feasible error (well some of you do, but that's =
beyond the point) The point that i'm trying to make is that sure, you =
can complain and whine and moan.. but you must act on it to make =
differance.. your not going to get anywhere by saying bad things about =
ppl who make the software most of us use daily, submit a respectable =
letter if you want to see a differance.. that's what you do in real =
life, and why should that be different here? bashing and slamming =
someone whoms skills are beyond comparison of those whim critize his =
abilities is not away to get anything but ignored.... trust me on this =
one... there is a reason roland doesn't read these NGs.. maybe if you =
were more kind to him, he'd rather listen to your input.. most things =
don't occur without reason.. and i highly doubt that the feelings in =
which you bestow did not become because a person is lacking some =
personal qualities, although that is the case many times, i feel it is =
best to give the benefit of the doubt, perhaps if the tables were to =
turn, you'de want the same.. and i leave you with the golden rule, treat =
others who you'de like to be treated.. I think it is the most widely =
spread, under considered saying of all time.. just stop and think next =
time you insult something which is not convenient for you personally.. =
ahh.. civilization has spoiled us, and once again returned to bite us on =
the ass...

--=20
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com
G O I N G P L A T I N U M
[View Quote] [View Quote] if roland wasn't what i thought of as a good programer, then i =
wouldn't=20
praise him.. but i feel he is, and therefore i do... you wonder why =
he might=20
be unmotivated to do the things some of you demand... it's perfectly =
clear=20
to me why he does not..=20
--=20
J B E L L=20
http://platinum.awjbell.com=20
G O I N G P L A T I N U M=20
[View Quote]
------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C08FC8.F213F800

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>need I remind you it's only $20 a =
year.. i=20
guarantee all of you reading this pay more to connect to the internet =
and yet=20
you don't jump down their throught at every feasible error (well some of =
you do,=20
but that's beyond the point)&nbsp; The point that i'm trying to make is =
that=20
sure, you can complain and whine and moan.. but you must act on it to =
make=20
differance.. your not going to get anywhere by saying bad things about =
ppl who=20
make the software most of us use daily, submit a respectable letter if =
you want=20
to see a differance.. that's what you do in real life, and why should =
that be=20
different here? bashing and slamming someone whoms skills are beyond =
comparison=20
of those whim critize his abilities is not away to get anything but =
ignored....=20
trust me on this one... there is a reason roland doesn't read these =
NGs.. maybe=20
if you were more kind to him, he'd rather listen to your input.. most =
things=20
don't occur without reason.. and i highly doubt that the feelings in =
which you=20
bestow did not become because a person is lacking some personal =
qualities,=20
although that is the case many times, i feel it is best to give the =
benefit of=20
the doubt, perhaps if the tables were to turn, you'de want the same.. =
and i=20
leave you with the golden rule, treat others who you'de like to be =
treated.. I=20
think it is the most widely spread, under considered saying of all =
time.. just=20
stop and think next time you insult something which is not convenient =
for you=20
personally.. ahh.. civilization has spoiled us, and once again returned =
to bite=20
us on the ass...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>J B E L L<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://platinum.awjbell.com">http://platinum.awjbell.com</A><BR>G=
O I N=20
G&nbsp; P L A T I N U M</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"the derek" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:ImTheDerek at yahoo.com">ImTheDerek at yahoo.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3A7F761A.8C5E176E at yahoo.com">news:3A7F761A.8C5E176E at yahoo.co=
m</A>...</DIV>the=20
only reason the software in aw sucks is the lack of money aw has. =
<BR>if they=20
could pay more people theyd have better software and therefore earn =
more=20
money... <BR>of course the people who run aw are to blame for this... =
not the=20
programmers=20
<P>if you get a program for free.. you CANT complain.. if you dont =
like it=20
DONT use it <BR>if you pay for software that you didnt get to try out =
first=20
THEN you can complain, otherwise its your decision <BR>use ot or dont =
use it=20
[View Quote] programer, then i wouldn't <BR>praise him.. but i feel he is, and =
therefore=20
i do... you wonder why he might <BR>be unmotivated to do the things =
some of=20
you demand... it's perfectly clear <BR>to me why he does not..=20
<P>-- <BR>J B E L L <BR><A=20
href=3D"http://platinum.awjbell.com">http://platinum.awjbell.com</A> =
<BR>G O I=20
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C08FC8.F213F800--

j b e l l

------=_NextPart_000_00C4_01C08FC9.7A1A0D20

i wasn't aware that a 3d community chat enviroment was suddenly called a =
game, thanks for the correction..

(if your looking for a game aspect.. no wonder your dissappointed with =
aw)

--=20
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com
G O I N G P L A T I N U M
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_00C4_01C08FC9.7A1A0D20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>i wasn't aware that a 3d community chat =
enviroment=20
was suddenly called a game, thanks for the correction..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>(if your looking for a game aspect.. no =
wonder your=20
dissappointed with aw)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>J B E L L<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://platinum.awjbell.com">http://platinum.awjbell.com</A><BR>G=
O I N=20
G&nbsp; P L A T I N U M</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"sw comit" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:swcomit at swcity.net">swcomit at swcity.net</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
<A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a7f9952$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a7f9952$1 at server1=
..Activeworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've said it once (well about 50 =
times really)=20
and I'll say it again:&nbsp; They need to improve Alphaworld, more =
tourist=20
would register if they weren't so limited, especially when they can be =
playing=20
far better games out on the =
web.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00C4_01C08FC9.7A1A0D20--

j b e l l

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C0900C.F71AA620

thx for summarizing my point.. in less then 100 words.. lol

--=20
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com
G O I N G P L A T I N U M
[View Quote] An example of what 'can' be done in Alpha can be found here:=20

http://objects.activeworlds.com/cgi-bin/teleport.cgi?aw_6505S_6556.80E =

(er... yep... another shameless plug for what I'm building, this time =
at Verge City :-) (can't fit any of the Beta features into my old =
location(s)))=20

WARNING - As with everything I build... IT'S MAXED OUT. Those with =
slow system may want to think twice before going there... BUT if you can =
handle it, give it a visit. Best viewed at 120 meters (altho' 50m is ok =
I guess). (If you'r on the Beta List even better...)=20

As anyone who does check this location out can see, I have better =
things to do then complain all the time about what the Software 'can't' =
do. (and of late I'v just been 'mark(ing) as read' the posts in this =
Group - I can't be bothered wading thru' the same old story over and =
over again)=20

My 2 cents...=20

[View Quote] need I remind you it's only $20 a year.. i guarantee all of you =
[...]
why he might=20
be unmotivated to do the things some of you demand... it's =
perfectly clear=20
to me why he does not..=20
--=20
J B E L L=20
http://platinum.awjbell.com=20
G O I N G P L A T I N U M=20
[View Quote] --=20
Tyrell - Alpha Prime - 21.8s 457e 90 - "Mundus vult decipi"=20
"Eat well, stay fit, die anyway."=20
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/ty1/index.html=20
http://www.dlcwest.com/~rpatter/index.html=20
ICQ UN - 272905=20
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C0900C.F71AA620

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4611.1300" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>thx for summarizing my point.. in less =
then 100=20
words.. lol</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>J B E L L<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://platinum.awjbell.com">http://platinum.awjbell.com</A><BR>G=
O I N=20
G&nbsp; P L A T I N U M</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"tyrell" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca">tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3A7FE294.8430E311 at sk.sympatico.ca">news:3A7FE294.8430E311 at sk=
..sympatico.ca</A>...</DIV>No,=20
you'r not the only one who thinks this. It's just that those who feel =
like you=20
have long ago stopped either reading or at the very least posting to =
this News=20
Group. We have better things to do... Instead of whining all the time =
about=20
the Software and what it 'isn't' we get on with using 'what it is'.=20
<P>Want a game, go buy a game. ActiveWorlds isn't one. It's, as you =
pointed=20
out (I believe it was you), it's a Chat Util. It's also a place where =
you can=20
build something, as big (or little) as you want. This is what those =
who=20
recognize what the Software really is are doing.=20
<P>An example of what 'can' be done in Alpha can be found here:=20
<P><A=20
=
href=3D"http://objects.activeworlds.com/cgi-bin/teleport.cgi?aw_6505S_655=
6.80E">http://objects.activeworlds.com/cgi-bin/teleport.cgi?aw_6505S_6556=
..80E</A>=20

<P>(er... yep... another shameless plug for what I'm building, this =
time at=20
Verge City :-) (can't fit any of the Beta features into my old =
location(s)))=20
<P>WARNING - As with everything I build... IT'S MAXED OUT. Those with =
slow=20
system may want to think twice before going there... BUT if you can =
handle it,=20
give it a visit. Best viewed at 120 meters (altho' 50m is ok I guess). =
(If=20
you'r on the Beta List even better...)=20
<P>As anyone who does check this location out can see, I have better =
things to=20
do then complain all the time about what the Software 'can't' do. (and =
of late=20
I'v just been 'mark(ing) as read' the posts in this Group - I can't be =

bothered wading thru' the same old story over and over again)=20
<P>My 2 cents...=20
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C0900C.F71AA620--

tony56

Feb 6, 2001, 8:21pm
STOP posting in HTML.. Eep had a point. your last 2 messages were 13kb
and 18kb

--
- Tony56 (Tony M.) [chandler56 at mail.com]
"All typos are optical illusions"
[...]

My 2 cents...

[...]
"Eat well, stay fit, die anyway."
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/ty1/index.html
http://www.dlcwest.com/~rpatter/index.html
ICQ UN - 272905
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

j b e l l

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01C09053.3361B2E0

i didn't know i was posting in html... damn this microsoft outlook :-(

--=20
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com
G O I N G P L A T I N U M
[View Quote] --=20

http://objects.activeworlds.com/cgi-bin/teleport.cgi?aw_6505S_6556.80E=20

[...]

wonder why he might=20
be unmotivated to do the things some of you demand... it's =
perfectly clear=20
to me why he does not..=20
--=20
J B E L L=20
http://platinum.awjbell.com=20
G O I N G P L A T I N U M=20
[View Quote] --=20
Tyrell - Alpha Prime - 21.8s 457e 90 - "Mundus vult decipi"=20
"Eat well, stay fit, die anyway."=20
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/ty1/index.html=20
http://www.dlcwest.com/~rpatter/index.html=20
ICQ UN - 272905=20
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01C09053.3361B2E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4611.1300" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>i didn't know i was posting in html... =
damn this=20
microsoft outlook :-(</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>J B E L L<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://platinum.awjbell.com">http://platinum.awjbell.com</A><BR>G=
O I N=20
G&nbsp; P L A T I N U M</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"j b e l l" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:jbell1983 at home.com">jbell1983 at home.com</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
<A=20
=
href=3D"news:3a8016ed at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a8016ed at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>thx for summarizing my point.. in =
less then 100=20
words.. lol</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>J B E L L<BR><A=20
=
href=3D"http://platinum.awjbell.com">http://platinum.awjbell.com</A><BR>G=
O I N=20
G&nbsp; P L A T I N U M</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"tyrell" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca">tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca</A>&gt; =
wrote=20
in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3A7FE294.8430E311 at sk.sympatico.ca">news:3A7FE294.8430E311 at sk=
..sympatico.ca</A>...</DIV>No,=20
you'r not the only one who thinks this. It's just that those who =
feel like=20
you have long ago stopped either reading or at the very least =
posting to=20
this News Group. We have better things to do... Instead of whining =
all the=20
time about the Software and what it 'isn't' we get on with using =
'what it=20
is'.=20
<P>Want a game, go buy a game. ActiveWorlds isn't one. It's, as you =
pointed=20
out (I believe it was you), it's a Chat Util. It's also a place =
where you=20
can build something, as big (or little) as you want. This is what =
those who=20
recognize what the Software really is are doing.=20
<P>An example of what 'can' be done in Alpha can be found here:=20
<P><A=20
=
href=3D"http://objects.activeworlds.com/cgi-bin/teleport.cgi?aw_6505S_655=
6.80E">http://objects.activeworlds.com/cgi-bin/teleport.cgi?aw_6505S_6556=
..80E</A>=20

<P>(er... yep... another shameless plug for what I'm building, this =
time at=20
Verge City :-) (can't fit any of the Beta features into my old =
location(s)))=20

<P>WARNING - As with everything I build... IT'S MAXED OUT. Those =
with slow=20
system may want to think twice before going there... BUT if you can =
handle=20
it, give it a visit. Best viewed at 120 meters (altho' 50m is ok I =
guess).=20
(If you'r on the Beta List even better...)=20
<P>As anyone who does check this location out can see, I have better =
things=20
to do then complain all the time about what the Software 'can't' do. =
(and of=20
late I'v just been 'mark(ing) as read' the posts in this Group - I =
can't be=20
bothered wading thru' the same old story over and over again)=20
<P>My 2 cents...=20
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_004D_01C09053.3361B2E0--

eep

Feb 6, 2001, 11:20pm
And by quoting all of it you're not helping either, Tony...

[View Quote] > STOP posting in HTML.. Eep had a point. your last 2 messages were 13kb
> and 18kb

agent1

Feb 6, 2001, 11:34pm
Tools->Options...
Click Send and look at the bottom.

the derek

if tourists werent limited then what would be the point in registering?
all the worlds no matter what
[View Quote] </body>

j b e l l

Feb 7, 2001, 12:03am
got it, thx

--
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------DF466271BB89019B037155F1

hm - I have definitely more trouble with cleaning floors ;)

35850 schrieb:

> ... Besides, it's all relative;
> programming is a difficult field compared to, for example, cleaning floors,
--------------DF466271BB89019B037155F1

begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------DF466271BB89019B037155F1--

dearheart

------=_NextPart_000_009F_01C09400.467D46E0

If Active worlds is a CHAT UTILITY then why isn't the CHAT UTILITY of =
better quality, at least comparable to other chat utilities. As it =
stands it can only be called mediocre in that area.

[...]

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4207.2601" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If Active worlds is a CHAT UTILITY then =
why isn't=20
the CHAT UTILITY of better quality, at least comparable to other chat =
utilities.=20
As it stands it can only be called mediocre in that area.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"tyrell" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca">tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
href=3D"news:3A7FE294.8430E311 at sk.sympatico.ca">news:3A7FE294.8430E311 at sk=
..sympatico.ca</A>...</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">No,=20
[...]

[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_009F_01C09400.467D46E0--

rolu

Feb 10, 2001, 7:46pm
Please do not post in HTML, and snip a bit. Your post was 19kb in size, with
less than half a kilobyte coming from you.

But you are right about that - most IRC programs can do a lot more. AW is
quite basic on that part.

rolu

[View Quote]

eep

Feb 10, 2001, 9:09pm
Please don't post in HTML, especially to only add a single line to a long quoted message. 430 lines compared to ~50 lines is less annoying, not to mention no forced background colors and font sizes.

[View Quote] > If Active worlds is a CHAT UTILITY then why isn't the CHAT UTILITY of better quality, at least comparable to other chat utilities. As it stands it can only be called mediocre in that area.