New Virus!!!No Known Cure (Community)

New Virus!!!No Known Cure // Community

1  |

col klink

Feb 3, 2001, 1:33pm
I received this message

NEW VIRUS NO CURE!!!!!!!!!

Please, send this information to every
person in your address book.

If you receive and e-mail that reads
"UPGRADE INTERNET2", do not open it as it
contains an executable named "PERRIN.EXE". It
will erase all the data in your hard drive and
it will stay in memory. Every time you upload
any data, it will be automatically erased and
you will not be able to use your computer again.

This information was published in the CNN web
site.

This is a very dangerous virus. To this date,
there is no known antivirus program for this
particular virus.

Please, forward this information to your friends
(and enemies, as well), so that they will be on
the alert.

Also check the list below, sent by IBM, with the
names of some e-mails that, if received, should
not be opened and must be deleted immediately,
because they contain attached viruses. This way,
your computer will be safe. The titles are:
1) buddylst.exe
2) calcu18r.exe
3) deathpr.exe
4) einstein.exe
5) happ.exe
6) girls.exe
7) happy99.exe
8) japanese.exe
9) keypress.exe
10) kitty.exe
11) monday.exe
12) teletubb.exe
13) The Phantom Menace
14) prettypark.exe
15) UP-GRADE INTERNET2
16) perrin.exe
17) I love You
18) CELCOM Screen Saver or CELSAVER.EXE
19) Win a Holiday (e-mail)
20) JOIN THE CREW O PENPALS

Once again, do not open these e-mails and pass
this information on to your friends as soon as
possible!

begin 666 Jaryn Michael Clouatre.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..D-L;W5A=')E.TIA<GEN.TUI
M8VAA96P-"D9..DIA<GEN($UI8VAA96P at 0VQO=6%T<F4-"DY)0TM.04U%.D]Z
M>0T*3U)'.D8N02Y4.VUY(&AO=7-E#0I4251,13I/=VYE< at T*0412.U=/4DLZ
M.VUY(&)A<V5M96YT.TUY($AO=7-E($]N($UY($-O;7!U=&5R.U!R:6YC92!!
M;&)E<G0[4V%S:V%T8VAE=V%N.W,V=B P8C([0V%N861A#0I,04)%3#M73U)+
M.T5.0T]$24Y'/5%53U1%1"U04DE.5$%"3$4Z;7D at 8F%S96UE;G0],$0],$%-
M>2!(;W5S92!/;B!->2!#;VUP=71E<CTP1#TP05!R:6YC92!!;&)E<G0L(%-A
M<VMA=&-H97=A;B!S-CT-"G8 at ,&(R/3!$/3!!0V%N861A#0I!1%([2$]-13H[
M.SM0<FEN8V4 at 06QB97)T.U-A<VMA=&-H97=A;CMS-G8 at ,&(R.T-A;F%D80T*
M3$%"14P[2$]-13M%3D-/1$E.1SU154]4140M4%))3E1!0DQ%.E!R:6YC92!!
M;&)E<G0L(%-A<VMA=&-H97=A;B!S-G8 at ,&(R/3!$/3!!0V%N861A#0I8+5=!
M0BU'14Y$15(Z, at T*55),.FAT=' Z+R]!9V5N=$UO;&1E<BYC;VT-"E523#IH
M='1P.B\O06=E;G1M;VQD97(N8V]M#0I"1$%9.C(P,# Q,C(P#0I%34%)3#M0
M4D5&.TE.5$523D54.FIA<GEN8T!H;VUE+F-O;0T*14U!24P[24Y415).150Z
M4&5N9W5I;F)O>38V0&AO=&UA:6PN8V]M#0I2158Z,C P,3 R,#-4,34R.#0R
..6 at T*14Y$.E9#05)$#0H`
`
end

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------937C65B8247E16640DEEF2A7

This isn't a virus, it's a new worm called "col clink.nntp" and there IS
a cure :
Don't click it, and if you accidentially did, don't follow its advices.
Don't reply if you received it.

This worm does not harm your computer but it tries in a not too
intelligent way to flood the web with junk.
If you follow its advices it will send itself to everyone in your adress
book.

col klink schrieb:

> I received this message
>
> NEW VIRUS NO CURE!!!!!!!!!
>
> Please, send this information to every
> person in your address book.
--------------937C65B8247E16640DEEF2A7

begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------937C65B8247E16640DEEF2A7--

baron

Feb 3, 2001, 2:01pm
I suggest you check the following links before forwarding such warnings
http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/
http://www.vmyths.com
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html
This is a pretty old hoax.

Baron

[View Quote] NEW VIRUS NO CURE!!!!!!!!!

[...]

nornny

Feb 3, 2001, 2:02pm
lol Ananas. :)

Col, you need to learn that most of us know when a virus is a virus. They're
not too hard to distinguish. And just because you posted in the newsgroup
does NOT mean we're all getting a virus. I don't know of any viruses that go
around through newsgroups, do you? If you knew so much about viruses, you
would know to email all the people you have emailed to lately and who are on
your address book, not to an AW-RELATED newsgroup. :)

Nornny

[View Quote]

wing

Feb 3, 2001, 2:02pm
Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

--
Wing
This little spot is dedicated to my girl, Jessie.
bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

wing

Feb 3, 2001, 2:09pm
Okay, maybe Col Wank won't understand my previous message. So let's put it
in easier to understand terms. Dammit you idiot, stop being so paranoid
about virii. Half of em are hoaxes, including most of the ones you listed. I
don't run a firewall, I don't run antivirus software, I don't get hacked,
nor do I get any virii. However, so you shut the HELL up, get a firewall and
get a copy of norton antivirus and update it daily. Then you'll never get
anything, and it's our own fault if we do.

bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

image

Feb 3, 2001, 3:54pm
OMG I heard about this, you know i was looking through the net and I went to
www.viruses.com/hoax.html and I found Col Klinks name there saying "This is
not a virus, this is some guy who thinks that he can use the newsgroups to
scare everyone", thanks for your time, Col Klink, if you do this again, its
going to be a report to AWCOM.

image
image2 at uswest.net
www.imagebot.net

PS: No reason to announce on the community, esp. if its a hoax.

[View Quote]

j b e l l

Feb 3, 2001, 4:14pm
i don't think anyone care's are about this, i may be speaking for myself,
but most of the ppl here are cautious and protected enough against that kind
of crap.... and there is a cure-it's called the delete button..

--
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

j b e l l

Feb 3, 2001, 4:17pm
ahh! i just corssposted without knowing it! ahhhhhhhhhhh!! forgive me father
for i have sinned.... sorry everyone...

--
J B E L L
http://platinum.awjbell.com

agent1

hehe... I bet you if you scanned your hard drive for a virus right now
you'd find one.... :)

It is considered bad luck to call yourself immune to viruses without any
protection.

SW Chris
[View Quote]

wing

Feb 3, 2001, 8:02pm
It might be there but it obviously isn't doing a damn thing, nor is it
distributing itself to my address book (or Roland, AFM [Not a bad thing
there], Jessie, Nate, and half a million other people would know about it).
Never heard of a virus that does nothing (mostly because as it does nothing,
nobody ever notices). Oh well, maybe out of curiosity I'll scan one day. If
I get REALLY bored

bathgate at prodigy.net
eyemwing at teleport.com
ICQ #101207433
[View Quote]

nova n@n.com

Feb 3, 2001, 11:18pm
you know sence the last time i reformated my puter over 6 months ago ive
dlled nearly 100 gig total .
some of wich is from less than reptable web sites and i scanned my puter
yesterday for the hell of it why i was at work i come home and found guess
what zero viri on my 2 20 gig hds yes i know thats 40 gig total i deleted
alot of junk.
but out of 100 or so gigs of junk and no viri in any of it.
explanation common freeking sence its a simple thing realy scan the zips
exes etc that you dl.
i dont use a anti viri progy running in the bg its a mem and resorce hog i
just do manual scans.
so col clunk quit posting this trash!!!!
[View Quote]

count dracula o

Feb 4, 2001, 1:27am
I found an on-line virus scanner http://housecall.antivirus.com/ ,it seems
to work fine and it is free

col klink <jarync at home.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:3a7c24bc at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I received this message
>
> NEW VIRUS NO CURE!!!!!!!!!
>
> Please, send this information to every
> person in your address book.
>
> If you receive and e-mail that reads
> "UPGRADE INTERNET2", do not open it as it
> contains an executable named "PERRIN.EXE". It
> will erase all the data in your hard drive and
> it will stay in memory. Every time you upload
> any data, it will be automatically erased and
> you will not be able to use your computer again.
>
> This information was published in the CNN web
> site.
>
> This is a very dangerous virus. To this date,
> there is no known antivirus program for this
> particular virus.
>
> Please, forward this information to your friends
> (and enemies, as well), so that they will be on
> the alert.
>
> Also check the list below, sent by IBM, with the
> names of some e-mails that, if received, should
> not be opened and must be deleted immediately,
> because they contain attached viruses. This way,
> your computer will be safe. The titles are:
> 1) buddylst.exe
> 2) calcu18r.exe
> 3) deathpr.exe
> 4) einstein.exe
> 5) happ.exe
> 6) girls.exe
> 7) happy99.exe
> 8) japanese.exe
> 9) keypress.exe
> 10) kitty.exe
> 11) monday.exe
> 12) teletubb.exe
> 13) The Phantom Menace
> 14) prettypark.exe
> 15) UP-GRADE INTERNET2
> 16) perrin.exe
> 17) I love You
> 18) CELCOM Screen Saver or CELSAVER.EXE
> 19) Win a Holiday (e-mail)
> 20) JOIN THE CREW O PENPALS
>
> Once again, do not open these e-mails and pass
> this information on to your friends as soon as
> possible!

rolu

Feb 4, 2001, 12:36pm
[View Quote] happy99 did, iirc. Not sure though. You had to execute it yourself anyway.

Anyway, so called "virus warnings" asking you to spread the word about a
virus that has no known cure yet are just glorified chain letters. They
usually do more damage than the virus itself, if it already exists.

Rolu

> If you knew so much about viruses, you
> would know to email all the people you have emailed to lately and who are
on
> your address book, not to an AW-RELATED newsgroup. :)
>
> Nornny

[View Quote]

rolu

Feb 4, 2001, 12:40pm
I manually scan everything I download just to be sure. Never found anything
(but that doesn't mean I'll never find anything so I keep scanning). The
only virii I ever saw were those things mailed to me, like happy99 and
ILOVEYOU. But stuff like that is suspicious enough to be warned that
something is wrong the first time you see it.

rolu