AW-inhabitants needed for scientific research (Community)

AW-inhabitants needed for scientific research // Community

1  |

habanero1

Nov 9, 2000, 6:58pm
Alpha World - Scientific Research
We are a group of university students from Denmark, who are doing
research on Alpha World. We are therefore looking for anyone interested
in answering some questions in relation to his/her experiences in Alpha
World. We can communicate through e-mail or directly in Alpha World.
If you are interested please contact us at rglu99 at hum.auc.dk.
Thank You very much in advance

- Radomir Gluhovic (student at the University of Aalborg)

tony56

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C04A68.75CB8420

What kind of questions will you be asking, students?

--=20
- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)
"Freedom: That's What The Government Wants You To Believe!"
[View Quote] Alpha World - Scientific Research
We are a group of university students from Denmark, who are doing
research on Alpha World. We are therefore looking for anyone =
interested
in answering some questions in relation to his/her experiences in =
Alpha
World. We can communicate through e-mail or directly in Alpha World.
If you are interested please contact us at rglu99 at hum.auc.dk.
Thank You very much in advance

- Radomir Gluhovic (student at the University of Aalborg)

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C04A68.75CB8420

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>What kind of questions will =
you be=20
asking, students?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1><BR>-- <BR>- Tony56 (aka=20
Chandler56)<BR>"Freedom: That's What The Government Wants You To=20
Believe!"<BR>____________________________________________________________=
</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>habanero1 &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:1942135m001 at stofanet.dk">1942135m001 at stofanet.dk</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3A0B248F.D30D2014 at stofanet.dk">news:3A0B248F.D30D2014 at stofan=
et.dk</A>...</DIV><BR>Alpha=20
World - Scientific Research<BR>We are a group of university students =
from=20
Denmark, who are doing<BR>research on Alpha World. We are therefore =
looking=20
for anyone interested<BR>in answering some questions in relation to =
his/her=20
experiences in Alpha<BR>World. We can communicate through e-mail or =
directly=20
in Alpha World.<BR>If you are interested please contact us at <A=20
href=3D"mailto:rglu99 at hum.auc.dk">rglu99 at hum.auc.dk</A>.<BR>Thank You =
very much=20
in advance<BR><BR>- Radomir Gluhovic (student at the University of=20
Aalborg)</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C04A68.75CB8420--

habanero1

Nov 10, 2000, 3:57pm
Well, our project (third semester project) is mainly about interaction
and the presentation of self in AW, and the questions we will be asking
will therefore circle around these two main areas. As we know very
little about the culture of AW, it would be a great help to us and our
project, if anyone could tell us about his or her experiences i AW. If u
have any questions, please post them on the newsgroup or send them to
one of the following e-mail adresses:

hbmi99 at hum.auc.dk (Hassan Mikkelsen)
bmoe99 at hum.auc.dk (Brian Moeller)
pkma99 at hum.auc.dk (Pernille Madsen)
came99 at hum.auc.dk (Claus Melvej)
dkor99 at hum.auc.dk (Ditte Korsbakke)
rglu99 at hum.auc.dk (Radomir Gluhovic)

- Hassan Mikkelsen

[View Quote]

eep

Nov 10, 2000, 7:55pm
http://tnlc.com/eep/aw/history.html

[View Quote]

tony56

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C04B30.0F193EC0

AW is very err ah.. unstable .. community-wise. Read Eep's history site. =
You'll see.

[View Quote] hbmi99 at hum.auc.dk (Hassan Mikkelsen)
bmoe99 at hum.auc.dk (Brian Moeller)
pkma99 at hum.auc.dk (Pernille Madsen)
came99 at hum.auc.dk (Claus Melvej)
dkor99 at hum.auc.dk (Ditte Korsbakke)
rglu99 at hum.auc.dk (Radomir Gluhovic)

- Hassan Mikkelsen =20

[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C04B30.0F193EC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>AW is very err ah.. unstable =
...=20
community-wise. Read Eep's history site. You'll =
see.</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)<BR>"Freedom: That's What The=20
Government Wants You To=20
Believe!"<BR>____________________________________________________________=
</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>habanero1 &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:1942135m001 at stofanet.dk">1942135m001 at stofanet.dk</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:3A0C4B6C.1FF3FB85 at stofanet.dk">news:3A0C4B6C.1FF3FB85 at stofan=
et.dk</A>...</DIV>Well,=20
our project (third semester project) is mainly about =
interaction<BR>and the=20
presentation of self in AW, and the questions we will be =
asking<BR>will=20
therefore circle around these two main areas. As we know =
very<BR>little about=20
the culture of AW, it would be a great help to us and our<BR>project, =
if=20
anyone could tell us about his or her experiences i AW. If u<BR>have =
any=20
questions, please post them on the newsgroup or send them to<BR>one of =
the=20
following e-mail adresses:<BR><BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:hbmi99 at hum.auc.dk">hbmi99 at hum.auc.dk</A> (Hassan =
Mikkelsen)<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:bmoe99 at hum.auc.dk">bmoe99 at hum.auc.dk</A> (Brian =
Moeller)<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:pkma99 at hum.auc.dk">pkma99 at hum.auc.dk</A> (Pernille =
Madsen)<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:came99 at hum.auc.dk">came99 at hum.auc.dk</A> (Claus =
Melvej)<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:dkor99 at hum.auc.dk">dkor99 at hum.auc.dk</A> (Ditte =
Korsbakke)<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:rglu99 at hum.auc.dk">rglu99 at hum.auc.dk</A> (Radomir=20
Gluhovic)<BR><BR>- Hassan Mikkelsen&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR><BR><BR>tony56=20
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C04B30.0F193EC0--

imagine

Nov 10, 2000, 9:40pm
Hi habanero1

Here is a observation and a suggestion :)

I should think that if you came to AW (alpha world) and hung around the GZ
for a couple weeks you would get a more realistic point of view of what AW
is about, the enteractions, personal interaction would get a more realistic
presentation of self. Seems to me that on a questionare people would give
answers more along the lines of what they want people to hear then the way
it really is.
If you are going to do the research then do it! Go and hang out at GZ, make
friends and see how it really is. :))
By the way, the personal owned worlds are also part of Active worlds and the
people in them also have a big participation in Alpha World very often.

Just a suggestion :))

Imagine

[View Quote]

zero

Nov 11, 2000, 4:49am
i think Eeps view of AW protrays a onesided negative view of AW.
Sure ppl shoudl see both sides, but it gets a lil personal.
I implore the students to not take heed of much of Eeps "gift" to this study.
he is a very poor representative of AW, and they are not his personal
experiences but a gathering of negative propaganda.

Way to go eep, good thing ya arnt a salesman
dork

[View Quote] > Hi habanero1

> Here is a observation and a suggestion :)
>
> I should think that if you came to AW (alpha world) and hung around the GZ
> for a couple weeks you would get a more realistic point of view of what AW
> is about, the enteractions, personal interaction would get a more realistic
> presentation of self. Seems to me that on a questionare people would give
> answers more along the lines of what they want people to hear then the way
> it really is.
> If you are going to do the research then do it! Go and hang out at GZ, make
> friends and see how it really is. :))
> By the way, the personal owned worlds are also part of Active worlds and the
> people in them also have a big participation in Alpha World very often.
>
> Just a suggestion :))
>
> Imagine

[View Quote] --
Chris Waddell
dmonix at home.com
www.dmonix.net

grimble

Nov 11, 2000, 9:07am
I would have to agree. I am another one that has STARTED to read Eep's rant,
and ended up leaving to later. I went back when I had nothing better to do
one evening, since I'm interested in all views (as I am sure the students
are), but it was pretty excessive.

Its a shame that Eep feels the need to do this. Considering his work in The
Hole (and you can't deny, no matter how much you may hate him, that it IS
very impressive work!), I would have expected Epp to be a major player in
the community for positive reasons. As it stands, all that's happening is
that he's just grating on people, although it seems to have stopped
recently. I think Daphne summed it up quite well the other day in one of the
NG's somewhere.

Hopefully, Eep is taking a more constructive viewpoint on AW nowadays (or at
least within the NG's), allowing everyone to benefit from his knowledge.
Then perhaps he can start to repair the rift he is causing.

Eep, you could provide so much to so many people in terms of constructive
input and feedback into this whole thing. How about it?

I could have sent this directly (and privately) to Eep, but there were some
positive things I wanted to say to the group in the process.

Grims

[View Quote]

agent1

Nov 11, 2000, 1:10pm
You know, Eep's page was (and IS) a great source for general AW information as well as Renderware scripting tips (not to mention
that keyword glossary thing). I doubt that you were even active in the newsgroups to even be affected by them being down, but Eep
felt he was justified in removing his page. So, in summary, don't be an idiot. I'd like to see you develop a great resource and NOT
do the same thing if you were in Eep's position.

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------2E6647542DA6098EC16D5388

http://tnlc.com/mauz/awhistory.html

maybe this is one that causes less emotion loaded discussions ;)
--------------2E6647542DA6098EC16D5388

begin:vcard
n:Hatzenberger;Volker
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:oct31.de
adr:;;Bornheimer Strasse 15;Bonn;;53111;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:vha at oct31.de
end:vcard

--------------2E6647542DA6098EC16D5388--

nornny

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00pm
I don't think Eep is causing much of a rift at all. Apparently, everyone
disagrees with him, so it barely makes his supposed division a crack in the
community. :) Hey, people can say whatever they want online without
persecution (allegedly) and Eep is the shining example of it. I do think
he's not doing any harm to us. :) We reply, we discuss, we think. :) His
spoiled and disgruntled attitude leads us to believe he wants nothing but
the downfall of AW, but I'm thinking the reason he's doing this is because
he can get heard, he can find better ideas from the mass of replies, and he
CAN help. :) He's started so many topics that would NEVER be discussed
otherwise and i think it's important that he keeps doing so. It's not the
nicest thing in the world to call your site or world the ugliest piece of
garbage in the universe, but hey, he's being honest and I can agree that it
is pretty harsh. But he never goes that far, and he always seems to tell you
what you need to improve. Eventually, if we take in all that he wants us to
learn and improve on, maybe we can get the last word in for once. :) Look,
you can't live with him, and you can't live without him. He has the utmost
knowledge on AW, far surpassing most of us citizens who have barely lived
half of AW existence (me, for example), and if we have to read so far in
between the lines to get the knowledge out of the complaining, I say go for
it, they guys a walking AW encyclopedia. Just a disgruntled one. :)

Nornny

[View Quote]

grimble

Nov 11, 2000, 4:20pm
You make a good point, but its just rediculous that it has to be like that.
Thing is that it people don't wan't Eep in their face the whole time. Its
sad. (Bear in mind that I just got slapped by him in another NG lol).

Like I said before, I can see that he could (and as you point out, perhaps
does) play a positive part in the NGs but I for one would certainly be a lot
more comfortable if it wasn't put forward in such a spoilt-brat-4-year-old
manner.

(The "rift" was just the difference between the people who recognise that he
has a part to play here, regardless of whether he's a serious pain in the
butt or not, and those who just out-and-out hate him.)

Grims.

[View Quote]

zero

Nov 11, 2000, 4:59pm
But keeping in light of the basis of this post was for peoples own experiences in Alpha World.
Not the historical, financial, personal back ground of active worlds and its employees, workers past and present.

[View Quote] > You know, Eep's page was (and IS) a great source for general AW information as well as Renderware scripting tips (not to mention
> that keyword glossary thing). I doubt that you were even active in the newsgroups to even be affected by them being down, but Eep
> felt he was justified in removing his page. So, in summary, don't be an idiot. I'd like to see you develop a great resource and NOT
> do the same thing if you were in Eep's position.
>
> -Agent1

[View Quote] --
Chris Waddell
dmonix at home.com
www.dmonix.net

eep

Nov 12, 2000, 12:15pm
[View Quote] > Seems a shame that someone who (I have to admit) put so much effort into the Page
> can't rise above whining and complaining about alleged injustices (done to him
> personally I'm sure) by the evil company... (a company I might add that he
> continues to bless with his $$$)

I've NEVER given one cent to COF/AWCI.

> Sounds to me like he's feeling unloved and Alpha is the only form that he can find
> which lets him get away with this nonsense...

Uh, hardly. I speak out about many computer related issues that affect me. Note my Tomb Raider level editor page which I've been pushing to get TR's level editor released for over 2 years (and it finally will be with TR5). Note my line/word wrap page. I usually react when acted upon; hence this reply. Fuck with me and I'll fuck with you. It's that simple.

> As to the students... Look elsewhere for anything resembling a 'fair' assessment
> of life in the ActiveWorlds Universe. Altho' everyone's opinions 'should' matter,
> you'l get nothing but a spoiled child's view of Alpha from that Page...

<yawn> The person wanted personal experiences with AW, and that's what my AW history page is mostly about. <shrug>

> (I'm still laughing at him taking some info down, in a pout, not long ago... I
> know 'my' life's not been the same since... :-) )

Why would it affect you, someone who doesn't create RWX objects? It wouldn't. I've already explained why I took my site down, and if you think it was just a "pout", you obviously weren't paying attention.

[View Quote]

eep

Nov 12, 2000, 12:23pm
What's to say? My AW history page was originally created out of boredom, but as I got more and more pissed off at Rick, JP, and their sneaky "business" practices, I decided to exercise my right to free speech. And when COF went public as AWCI, I just couldn't let Rick and JP get away with lying to investors.

I can argue my AW history page IS a constructive viewpoint on AW considering how much experience I have in dealing with it and its owners (although that experience waned while AW3 was in development as my interest in AW greatly decreased).

Take my opinions however you want. I don't care. They're true to me and that's all that matters. Be glad I even bother to put them up for the public to read.

[View Quote] > I would have to agree. I am another one that has STARTED to read Eep's rant,
> and ended up leaving to later. I went back when I had nothing better to do
> one evening, since I'm interested in all views (as I am sure the students
> are), but it was pretty excessive.
>
> Its a shame that Eep feels the need to do this. Considering his work in The
> Hole (and you can't deny, no matter how much you may hate him, that it IS
> very impressive work!), I would have expected Epp to be a major player in
> the community for positive reasons. As it stands, all that's happening is
> that he's just grating on people, although it seems to have stopped
> recently. I think Daphne summed it up quite well the other day in one of the
> NG's somewhere.
>
> Hopefully, Eep is taking a more constructive viewpoint on AW nowadays (or at
> least within the NG's), allowing everyone to benefit from his knowledge.
> Then perhaps he can start to repair the rift he is causing.
>
> Eep, you could provide so much to so many people in terms of constructive
> input and feedback into this whole thing. How about it?
>
> I could have sent this directly (and privately) to Eep, but there were some
> positive things I wanted to say to the group in the process.

eep

Nov 12, 2000, 12:56pm
[View Quote] > "(I'm still laughing at him taking some info down, in a pout, not long ago... I
> know 'my' life's not been the same since... :-) )"
>
> to have anything to do with the History Page then you have no idea what 'I' was saying... (to help you out, it was an example of his
> childish behavior... akin to 'if I can't play, I'm going to take my ball home'...). Altho' he may very well have taken 'everything'
> down (I have no idea). Like most people... I didn't really care either way... The info on his page is available elsewhere (all he did
> was 'copy/paste' it onto a Page and placed it on his Site... Bonzo the Chimp can be taught to do as much... I'm sure it's handy all
> together BUT he was able to find it (for his Page)... other's are likely able to do the same...

Uh, I'd like to know where all that info came you think I just copy-and-pasted, Tyrell. YOU are the one who simply copy-and-pasted my page onto YOUR website when you didn't like my colors. Who's the REAL chimp here? I have mostly original content on my RW site (and most of my other websites too). Whatever I've quoted from I've referenced to with a link, like any decent webmaster should. I also remember you never had my name listed on your copied version of my page on your site until I bitched about it, so don't start playing these silly games again, Tyrell.

> News Flash... You don't win arguments just by being loud...

You HAVE no arguments to win.

[View Quote]

zero

Nov 12, 2000, 2:54pm
From Eep and a thougroughly quote:

"I've NEVER given one cent to COF/AWCI."

and this gives him any right to talk about anything in AW??

It should be like voting, if you dont vote, you dont have any right to complain.
God ... who is the sucker thats been giving Eep Worlds and Cits???
All this time and he hasnt given a dime to them?
I am in shock,

[View Quote] [View Quote] --
Chris Waddell
dmonix at home.com
www.dmonix.net

agent1

Nov 12, 2000, 5:00pm
[View Quote] As far as I can remember, Eep is taking part in these newsgroups.

> And as to (B)eep's Renderware Scripting Tips being a great resource... I never said it wasn't... I believe, inspite of him acting
like
> a child most of the time, I have a link on my own Web Site to his. What I said (and you would have likely picked this up if you
hadn't
> just wanted to wade in with you 2 cents) was, and I quote:
>
> "Seems a shame that someone who (I have to admit) put so much effort into the Page
> can't rise above whining and complaining about alleged injustices (done to him
> personally I'm sure) by the evil company... (a company I might add that he
> continues to bless with his $$$)"

That quoted statement seems to have a bit of a sacrcastic tone throughout it...

> Now I haven't actually read a whole Page anywhere on his Site but I assume he's at least mastered how to make more then one page
and
> anything to do with Renderware can be found elsewhere... (ie: on another Page)

So, you "haven't actually read a whole Page anywhere on his Site", but for some reason you have a link to it on your website?
Strange...
Also, I have not seen a resource on Renderware as complete and as well done as Eep's. It could use a little bit of cleaning up here
and there, but that's not very important.

> If, for some reason, you construed the phrase:
>
> "(I'm still laughing at him taking some info down, in a pout, not long ago... I
> know 'my' life's not been the same since... :-) )"
>
> to have anything to do with the History Page then you have no idea what 'I' was saying... (to help you out, it was an example of
his
> childish behavior... akin to 'if I can't play, I'm going to take my ball home'...). Altho' he may very well have taken
'everything'
> down (I have no idea). Like most people... I didn't really care either way... The info on his page is available elsewhere (all he
did
> was 'copy/paste' it onto a Page and placed it on his Site... Bonzo the Chimp can be taught to do as much... I'm sure it's handy
all
> together BUT he was able to find it (for his Page)... other's are likely able to do the same...

Uhh... I don't know of any other page on his site that contains considerable "whining and complaining" about AWCI other than the
history one.

I'm sure if you looked, you could find the information available on Eep's site elsewhere... Just like if you really wanted to, you
could climb Mount Everest.

> News Flash... You don't win arguments just by being loud...

No comment...

fatts

Nov 12, 2000, 7:09pm
I do not take to well to EEP's remarks BUT I have learned much from him so I
do recommend reading what he has to say and just put aside the things he
says that are childish. Some people need to say things that may offend
others just to get a feeling that they need, we all have are things so just
side step what one does not want and gleam the good stuff.

Mac / Fatts
mac4tbh at hotmail.com

[View Quote]

eep

Nov 12, 2000, 10:39pm
[View Quote] > Also, I have not seen a resource on Renderware as complete and as well done as Eep's. It could use a little bit of cleaning up here
> and there, but that's not very important.

Like what?

> I'm sure if you looked, you could find the information available on Eep's site elsewhere...

Not all of it; in fact, not even most of it. Lucrezia's AWCI RWX site's content came mainly from my site (even down to word-for-word info, table layout, and the name!), even though she claims she convienently "lost" the sources a few people supposedly emailed her. She's such a phony I want to smack her upside her pompous-assed head.

eep

Nov 12, 2000, 10:41pm
Like Christians need to say things that may offend others just to get a feeling THEY need. Wee...

[View Quote] > I do not take to well to EEP's remarks BUT I have learned much from him so I
> do recommend reading what he has to say and just put aside the things he
> says that are childish. Some people need to say things that may offend
> others just to get a feeling that they need, we all have are things so just
> side step what one does not want and gleam the good stuff.

fatts

Nov 14, 2000, 10:51pm
Gee now I am really confused? you seem to be replying to my post yet what
you have said does not fit into what I said? Maybe you have gotten your
replies confused in you rush to hang on to your position with the others on
the forum?

Mac / Fatts

[View Quote]

eep

Nov 14, 2000, 11:43pm
It would seem you need to learn how to read, Fatts. First read what you originally wrote, then read my reply. It REALLY shouldn't be this hard for you, unless you're clueless. I've even fixed your screwed up quoted line wrapping to assist you. Go ahead; I'll wait here...

[View Quote] > Gee now I am really confused? you seem to be replying to my post yet what
> you have said does not fit into what I said? Maybe you have gotten your
> replies confused in you rush to hang on to your position with the others on
> the forum?

[View Quote]

nornny

Nov 15, 2000, 7:18pm
[View Quote] <happily snips away>

> and this gives him any right to talk about anything in AW??
>
> It should be like voting, if you dont vote, you dont have any right to
complain.
> God ... who is the sucker thats been giving Eep Worlds and Cits???
> All this time and he hasnt given a dime to them?
> I am in shock,

Well, if what he says is true, then he must have gotten them from AWCOM. I
don't think a friend would lend him that many dollars each month anywho. But
then...it only proves AWCOM is as stupid as he thinks they are. *sigh* Food
for thought. :) Although, he creates magnificent breath-taking worlds and he
doesn't seem to compain too much on AW I don't think (never really talked to
him on AW). Maybe AWCOM just has more patience with him than we do. :)

Nornny

eep

Nov 16, 2000, 4:43am
If you're THAT interested to know how I don't pay for AW citizenship/worlds, read my AW history page at http://tnlc.com/eep/aw/history.html