need some help (Community)

need some help // Community

1  |

horizons

Feb 8, 2000, 9:50pm
This may be another stupid question but Windows95 has flipped out on me and
has made all my text large and blocky. Also little symbols windows uses are
replaced by 0, 1, r, and 8, 6, 5. I find you people here to be alot nicer
than the rest of the putrid AOL slime on the net

--
Horizons
288611
horizonsx at hrfn.net
"A mistake at this point will doom you and your colonists to certian death"
Artifical Intelligence -Outpost (c) Sierra
http://pkmn.8k.com/index2.html Designed for the Active Worlds Internal
Browser.
Visit us in Alpha World:
http://www.worlds.net/cgi-bin/teleport?aw_21345.0N_21345.0W_0A

princess tia

Feb 9, 2000, 10:05pm
First, try rebooting. Completely shut down your computer and let it "rest" for
a while. If that doesn't help your situation, try checking the amount of your
free disk space. A good rule of thumb is to keep a minimum of 10% of your
total disk space free to allow windows to function properly. If you find you
have very little free disk space, time to start clearing your harddrive of
unnecessary things, and then do a scan disk and defrag (You'll find
instructions in windows help). When operating your pc, try shutting down
unnecessary programs/windows that you may have running in the background, but
are not being used at the moment but which are using resources. If these things
still don't help, try running an anti-virus scan to scan for viruses on your
pc.

Good luck :)
Princess Tia
Zuzu, ZuzuAVs

[View Quote] > This may be another stupid question but Windows95 has flipped out on me and
> has made all my text large and blocky. Also little symbols windows uses are
> replaced by 0, 1, r, and 8, 6, 5. I find you people here to be alot nicer
> than the rest of the putrid AOL slime on the net
>
> --
> Horizons
> 288611
> horizonsx at hrfn.net
> "A mistake at this point will doom you and your colonists to certian death"
> Artifical Intelligence -Outpost (c) Sierra
> http://pkmn.8k.com/index2.html Designed for the Active Worlds Internal
> Browser.
> Visit us in Alpha World:
> http://www.worlds.net/cgi-bin/teleport?aw_21345.0N_21345.0W_0A

walter knupe

Feb 9, 2000, 10:05pm
Looks like your font folder is messed up. All the symbols on the system controls that come with
every window are taken from a special font for them.

And if that font is missing, the system has to fall back on a default font, which, if missing too,
has a fallback on a system font which resides in the kernel and which was not touched since
Windows3.0 I believe, and which causes a "bulky" look :)

So you might want to check your fonts folder and see if you can repair it somehow..

Faber

"Horizons" <horizonsx at hrfn.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:38a0abcc$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> This may be another stupid question but Windows95 has flipped out on me and
> has made all my text large and blocky. Also little symbols windows uses are
> replaced by 0, 1, r, and 8, 6, 5. I find you people here to be alot nicer
> than the rest of the putrid AOL slime on the net
>
> --
> Horizons
> 288611
> horizonsx at hrfn.net
> "A mistake at this point will doom you and your colonists to certian death"
> Artifical Intelligence -Outpost (c) Sierra
> http://pkmn.8k.com/index2.html Designed for the Active Worlds Internal
> Browser.
> Visit us in Alpha World:
> http://www.worlds.net/cgi-bin/teleport?aw_21345.0N_21345.0W_0A

terry kafader

One other thing.&nbsp; Make sure that everything is removed from your temp
directory.&nbsp; It is located at c:\windows\temp.&nbsp; Windows has a
bad habit of reusing temp files if it finds them.&nbsp; Thus if you have
an error condition and whatever program you were using created a temp file,
which almost all of them do, then, when windows restarts, it will see those
temp files and attempt to reuse them.&nbsp; Thus recreating the error condition.
[View Quote]

aaron hill

Feb 10, 2000, 10:43pm
> Looks like your font folder is messed up. All the
> symbols on the system controls that come with every
> window are taken from a special font for them.

Marlett, if I remember correctly, is the symbol font
for all 3D controls.

american police

Mar 5, 2000, 9:14pm
Yes, that happened to me about two years ago, i think. I fixed it, but I do
not remember. Sorry and good luck!

[View Quote]

aaron hill

Mar 6, 2000, 12:34pm
This is a common problem when Windows runs out of memory for fonts. All of
the little symbols are actually in the font called "Marlett". This is done
so that the caption buttons and scroll bars can be scaled to any size.
(Quite an ingenious idea, I think.) Windows 95 has a real problem with
fonts. Often fonts will cease to load and you only get the default,
built-in bitmapped fonts. A reboot should fix the button temporarily until
the resources again run low. I think the problem is a Windows 95 (I've
never had this exact problem in 98 or 98 SE) issue and not some program that
isn't cleaning up after itself and stealing resources.

If you do have a [very] large font base, you may try to clean it up by
removing fonts you never use or those that are essentially redundant (many
seriffed fonts look alike... pick your favorite and move on.)

I hope this helps, and thank you for think that we are nice. :o)