Object Checker idea // Bots

1  |

pike

Oct 26, 2000, 5:38pm
After using the show errors (whatever its called) feature in my browser, I
coulddent help to notice the sheer number of errors in many worlds, ei file
not found texture not found etc etc. I figgure that its probably possible to
make a debbegger bot. Ie the bot would survey the desired area, and verify
all the URL's. Not sure how that would be done, perhaps attempt to download
the file? and of course keep a list of good obnames so's not to have to
check and re-check the same objects. As a bonus, it could possibly check the
syntax in the Action Box? and ( I dont know how) check the reffered textures
exist. And produce a list of errors with a variety of options such as
deleting correcting, igroring etc etc. I think this utility could be
extremely useful for owners of public building worlds, where dilly-o-witted
builders may leave a trial of infesting little black triangles, thus filling
up towards the cell data limit and maximizing the dreaded lad. I have myself
on many occasions clevery inserted a typo into the object name and totally
lost track of the offending triangle.
Any uptakes on this idea would be greatly appreciated.
thanx for reading through all that rubbish LOL.

Pike

pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk

tony56

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C03F65.CCD60A00

the setting's called: Show Object Errors;

O.K., let me see if I get any of what ur saying:

* a URL checking bot, that verifies the URL in an object exists
* remember last .RWX/.COB used (?)
* syntax-checking in Action field
* texture-checking
* spell-checking

did i get any of those right?

- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)
"Use your free will to the ULTIMATE advantage: Assassinate the =
Government!"

-------

[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C03F65.CCD60A00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>the setting's called: Show =
Object=20
Errors;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>O.K., let me see if I get any =
of what ur=20
saying:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>* a URL checking bot, that =
verifies the=20
URL in an object exists</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>* remember last .RWX/.COB =
used=20
(?)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>* syntax-checking in Action=20
field</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>* =
texture-checking</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>* spell-checking</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>did i get any of those=20
right?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>- Tony56 (aka =
Chandler56)<BR>"Use your=20
free will to the ULTIMATE advantage: Assassinate the =
Government!"</DIV><BR>
<HR>
</FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>pike &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:mike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk">mike at mainsworth.freeserve=
..co.uk</A>&gt;=20
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C03F65.CCD60A00--

pike

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BFDFD6.DF0B0520

Close but no cigar, ...
*URL checker (ie looks up the object name.zip in the world object path)
*Remember all names of objects that have allready been verified (to =
speed things up and avoid checking a commen object over and over)
*syntax checking
*texture checking (still havent the foggiest if this is possible)
*spell checking kinda comes under syntax checking

hmm that is quit a lot to expect?=20
Hope this makes sence to others and not just me LOL
Pike
pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk

[View Quote] O.K., let me see if I get any of what ur saying:

* a URL checking bot, that verifies the URL in an object exists
* remember last .RWX/.COB used (?)
* syntax-checking in Action field
* texture-checking
* spell-checking

did i get any of those right?

- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)
"Use your free will to the ULTIMATE advantage: Assassinate the =
Government!"

-----

[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BFDFD6.DF0B0520

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Close but no cigar, ...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>*URL checker (ie looks up the object name.zip in the =
world=20
object path)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>*Remember all names of objects that have allready =
been=20
verified (to speed things up and avoid checking a commen object over and =

over)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>*syntax checking</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>*texture checking (still havent the foggiest if this =
is=20
possible)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>*spell checking kinda comes under syntax =
checking</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>hmm that is quit a lot to expect? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hope this makes sence to others and not just me=20
LOL</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Pike</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk">pike at mainsworth.freeserve=
..co.uk</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"tony56" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:chandler56 at mail.com">chandler56 at mail.com</A>&gt; wrote =
in message=20
<A=20
=
href=3D"news:39f8a1ff at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:39f8a1ff at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>the setting's called: Show =
Object=20
Errors;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>O.K., let me see if I get =
any of what=20
ur saying:</FONT></DIV>
[...]

[View Quote] extremely useful for owners of public building worlds, where=20
dilly-o-witted<BR>| builders may leave a trial of infesting little =
black=20
triangles, thus filling<BR>| up towards the cell data limit and =
maximizing the=20
dreaded lad. I have myself<BR>| on many occasions clevery inserted a =
typo into=20
the object name and totally<BR>| lost track of the offending =
triangle.<BR>|=20
Any uptakes on this idea would be greatly appreciated.<BR>| =
&nbsp;thanx for=20
reading through all that rubbish LOL.<BR>| <BR>| Pike<BR>| <BR>| <A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk">pike at mainsworth.freeserve=
..co.uk</A><BR>|=20
<BR>| <BR>| </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BFDFD6.DF0B0520--

jeiden

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C03F94.F00D7F60

why not have it spit out a list of all the messed up object too?
[View Quote] hmm that is quit a lot to expect?=20
pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk

[View Quote] O.K., let me see if I get any of what ur saying:

* a URL checking bot, that verifies the URL in an object exists
* remember last .RWX/.COB used (?)
* syntax-checking in Action field
* texture-checking
* spell-checking

did i get any of those right?

- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)
"Use your free will to the ULTIMATE advantage: Assassinate the =
Government!"

---

[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C03F94.F00D7F60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">why not have it spit out a list of all =
the=20
messed up object too?</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"pike" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:mike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk">mike at mainsworth.freeserve=
..co.uk</A>&gt;=20
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C03F94.F00D7F60--

grimble

Oct 27, 2000, 8:43am
At the end of the day, there are only two things I can see you need, both of
which are managed in the browser (since it does all that), so therefore you
can put it in your bot.

(a) Writing a parser for for the action command (as you said) which isn't
that difficult as its a pretty simple "language". You have to do this to a
certain extent anyway to write a bot that does any form of object
manipulation to change the non-location attributes of the object (and to
identify them in the first place with a name).

(b) Implementing a basic HTTP/FTP protocol to request the file from the
relevant web/ftp server through a separate socket. You don't need to
actually download the whole file, just start to. You can't rely on checking
a directory listing since a lot of the web servers/sites won't allow you to
navigate that way (but then i'm no expert in web technology right now).
Information on these protocols can be found all over the web.

I too would regard this as an essential tool for anyone managing a public
building world, as well as reporting for the amount of building individuals
have done, how much of your precious space they have taken up, the last time
they added to it and the last time they visited. If it was my world (I
haven't taken that step just yet), I would want to know what the heck was
going on there. As the bot gets more complex, you can add more and more
checking/reporting until you knew more than God!

Now you've mentioned it, it sounds like quite a "fun" short term project.
Give it a go.

BTW, on the same subject (sorta), does anyone else get an error trying to
download 0.jpg from the active worlds server every so often in AlphaWorld?
It just goes foggy (usually between scenery changes I think). Irritating or
what! I didn't want to be part of a flood of e-mails to AW on the subject so
I left it for a bit, but it still happens, so I guess I'd better.

Cheers,

Grimble.

[View Quote]

pike

Oct 27, 2000, 10:09am
I would certainly want to undertake such a project, although i fear my
programming ability does not stand up to the challenge by far. I have a
little (very little) experience with C and C++ but not edequet for it. I had
considered writing a Xelagot action script for it but of course it would
never be as versatile as making it entirely from scratch.
hhhmmmmmm
Maybe its time to buy a few more books on the required subjects LOL

Pike

grimble

Oct 27, 2000, 11:34am
There is always a choice between using a generic tool and coding it
yourself.

I have found that writing things in VB (if you have it) MASSIVELY reduces
amount of stress in debugging the actual functionality of the bot while
you're developing it. Then a quick conversion of the code to C/C++ to
implement/distribute it. More work at the end, but less to think about when
you've got your hands dirty trying to make it work. Besides, I HATE writing
the GUI side of things in C ... can't be assed with all that low-level
stuff.

I haven't tried it, but I imagine you should be able to use MrGrimms
AWSDKOCX from the old Control Creation Edition of VB5 (a free download from
Microsoft - yep, FREE from Microsoft! Go Figure!). Think you'd need to get
hold of a socket control from somewhere though, 'cuz I think MS only give
you theirs with the full VB Enterprise edition. A quick search on the web
should find you one though, but you might not get one for free. From what I
can remember, VB5 CCE apps don't compile to EXE's through - might be wrong
on that.

MS VB CCE: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/cce/default.asp
VB SDK Wrapper: http://members.home.net/grimmcna/

Hope this helps you on your way.