session management in AW web browser (General Discussion)

session management in AW web browser // General Discussion

1  |

calt

Sep 18, 2003, 1:18pm
Hello,

Question : does the web-browser window in ActiveWorlds Browser support
Cookies?

We have developed an interactive 3D simulation game using Active Worlds. The
backend of the simulation is developed using Domino and the user logs on to
the server through the integrated web-browser window in the Activeworlds
Browser. In the course of the simulation, the output is shown to the user in
the form of window popups (opened using _javascript from the integrated
web-browser). This data is retrieved from the server.

Now, the problem is.. every time there's a window popup, the user is asked
to enter is login credentials. While, in the same simulation developed using
a 2D flash interface, it was a single sign on system given that domino takes
care of the session management.

Questions

1. Doesn't the web-browser (which I realised is an active-x component) in AW
inherit my IE settings?

2. Is there anyway of implementing sessions in this scenario? I realise if
it's a single window system, it might work. But in my case, where you have
multiple windows, is there any way to maintain cookie information in the
client end?

Please do get back to me with your comments.

Best Regards
Rathish

"calt" <rathish.balakrishnan at insead.edu> wrote in
news:3f69ccc1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Question : does the web-browser window in ActiveWorlds Browser support
> Cookies?

It's just the ActiveX version of IE.

> Now, the problem is.. every time there's a window popup, the user is
> asked to enter is login credentials. While, in the same simulation
> developed using a 2D flash interface, it was a single sign on system
> given that domino takes care of the session management.
>
> Questions
>
> 1. Doesn't the web-browser (which I realised is an active-x component)
> in AW inherit my IE settings?

It does inherit your IE settings. (Well, it IS IE)

> 2. Is there anyway of implementing sessions in this scenario? I
> realise if it's a single window system, it might work. But in my case,
> where you have multiple windows, is there any way to maintain cookie
> information in the client end?

Yes, there is. Horribly simple actually. You just need to make sure, that
you get your session information transferred with each request (using
cookies, or GET/POST parameters).

KAH

joeman

Sep 18, 2003, 8:24pm
Im assuming you're using PHP or asp. Generate a random number for that user
and keep session information in a database with the random number as the
key. Then, pass the information like page.php?session=RANDOM_NUMBER, do a
query to the database, and grab all of their session attributes. This also
prevents people from tampering. ;)

-Joe