Citizenship Disabled (General Discussion)

Citizenship Disabled // General Discussion

1  2  |

john

Aug 7, 2003, 4:50pm
My citizenship and my 3 worlds were today disabled after previously flying &
shifting in AWRPG (not a crack, hack or anything, just expoliting a bug that
AW have left in their system). This is unjust as I have not atcually done
anything against the rules.

Any suggestions? I've emailed btw.

~John

abb e norm fake@domain.

Aug 7, 2003, 5:05pm
"john" <john at 3d-reality.com> skrev i meddelandet news:3f329f5d at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> My citizenship and my 3 worlds were today disabled after previously flying &
> shifting in AWRPG (not a crack, hack or anything, just expoliting a bug that
> AW have left in their system). This is unjust as I have not atcually done
> anything against the rules.

And this "bug" doesn't involve memory patching?

> Any suggestions? I've emailed btw.

Uh... just have to wait and hope that they change their mind then...

john

Aug 7, 2003, 5:13pm
Strike Rapier suggested that I might have broken the EULA so here is the
last one I saw:

ACTIVE WORLDS BROWSER END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

BY CLICKING ON THE "NEXT" BUTTON, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE
BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS
OF THIS AGREEMENT, CLICK THE "CANCEL" BUTTON AND THE INSTALLATION PROCESS
WILL NOT CONTINUE. IF THESE TERMS ARE CONSIDERED AN OFFER, ACCEPTANCE IS
EXPRESSLY LIMITED TO THESE TERMS.

GRANT. Subject to the terms of this Agreement, Activeworlds.com, Inc.
("AWCOM") hereby grants you a limited, personal, nontransferable,
nonsublicensable, royalty-free, nonexclusive license to use one copy of the
client software product you are about to install in object code form
("Software") for the purpose of accessing the Active Worlds server and using
the Active Worlds software resident thereon ("AW Software").

You may: copy the Software for archival purposes, provided any copy must
contain all of the original Software's proprietary notices; you may use the
AW Software subject to the terms and conditions of this license.

You may not, directly or indirectly: modify, translate, reverse engineer,
decompile, disassemble (except to the extent applicable laws specifically
prohibit such restriction), create derivative works based on, or otherwise
attempt to discover the source code or underlying ideas or algorithms of the
Software or AW Software; or copy (except for archival purposes as set forth
above), rent, lease, distribute, transfer or otherwise transfer rights to
the Software or AW Software; use the Software or AW Software for timesharing
or service bureau purposes; or remove any proprietary notices or labels on
the Software or AW Software.

SOFTWARE. This license does not grant you any right to any enhancement or
update. Furthermore, this license does not grant you continued access to AW
Software.

SUPPORT. This Agreement does not entitle you to any maintenance, upgrades,
patches, enhancements, fixes, new versions or other support ("Support
Programs") for the Software or AW Software; provided, however, that if you
download or otherwise obtain in any manner any Support Programs they shall
become part of the Software and the terms of this Agreement shall apply.

TITLE. As between the parties, title, ownership rights, and intellectual
property rights in and to the Software and AW Software, and any copies or
portions thereof, shall remain in AWCOM and its suppliers or licensors. The
Software and AW Software are protected by the copyright laws of the United
States and international copyright treaties. Title, ownership rights, and
intellectual property rights in and to any software, data, information,
text, pictures, images, avatars, characters, sounds, personalities, or other
content ("Content") accessed through the Software or otherwise with AW
Software is the property of the applicable owner and may be protected by
applicable copyright or other law. This License gives you no rights, title,
or interest to Content (including without limitation Content that you post
or create on the Active Worlds server) except the limited license to use the
AW Software as described above.

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. THE SOFTWARE, AW SOFTWARE, AND ANY SERVICES THAT
YOU RECEIVE FROM AWCOM, ARE PROVIDED "AS IS." AWCOM HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. You assume the entire risk as to the quality and
performance of the Software or AW Software. AWCOM assumes no liability for
the cost of any service or repair if the Software or AW Software is
defective. Further, you assume the responsibility of, and any costs or
liability associated with, making a connection (by any means) to the Active
Worlds server, and you understand that the Software and AW Software will not
operate without such a connection.

AWCOM exercises no screening, editorial, or other control over Content
available to you through your use of the Software and AW Software, and
Content may include material that could be deemed distasteful, misleading,
inaccurate, offensive, pornographic or otherwise objectionable. Furthermore,
use of the Software or AW Software does not guarantee any privacy or
confidentiality of any Content you post or make available through the
Software and AWCOM assumes no responsibility or liability for the
preservation of such Content and may modify or remove it at AWCOM's sole
discretion. You hereby release AWCOM from any and all liability for all
claims related to Content as well as claims related to the security or level
of privacy provided.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL AWCOM OR ITS LICENSORS, SUPPLIERS OR
RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES
FOR LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR
MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT
WILL AWCOM BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF AWCOM LIST PRICE FOR A
LICENSE TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF AWCOM SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

TERMINATION. AWCOM may, at its sole discretion, terminate this Agreement,
the license granted herein, and your right to use or access the Software, AW
Software, or the Active Worlds server at any time. On termination, you must
destroy all copies of the Software.

ARBITRATION. Any claim alleging a violation of any duty incident to this
Agreement, or your use of the Software or the AW Software, or arising out of
any transaction occurring in Active Worlds, irrespective of the legal theory
asserted, is subject to binding arbitration. This means that both sides
give up all rights to a jury or court trial. The arbitration will take
place, at your choice, either on-line before the Active Worlds Tribunal, or
before a panel of arbitrators at the American Arbitration Association
offices in Boston, Massachusetts. In the latter instance, both sides shall
pay half of the fees and expenses associated with the arbitration
proceeding itself, but each side shall be responsible for all costs
associated with traveling to the site of the arbitration, preparing for the
arbitration, and hiring counsel, if desired. In both cases, both sides
shall select an arbitrator from a randomly generated list of available
arbitrators, and those two arbitrators shall select a third.
No punitive or consequent damages (including without limitation statutory
"multiplied," e.g. treble, damages) shall be awarded and the arbitrators
shall be made aware of this limitation.

EXPORT CONTROLS. None of the Software, AW Software or underlying
information or technology may be downloaded or otherwise exported or
re-exported (i) into (or to a national or resident of) Cuba, Iraq, Libya,
Yugoslavia, North Korea, Iran, Syria or any other country to which the U.S.
has embargoed goods; or (ii) into any country in which the U.S. has
embargoed goods, or to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of
Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department's Table of
Deny Orders. By downloading or using the Software, you are agreeing to the
foregoing and you are representing and warranting that you are not located
in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such country or
on any such list.

MISCELLANEOUS. This Agreement represents the complete license agreement and
supersedes all prior agreements and representations and may only be amended
by a writing executed by the parties. If any provision of this Agreement is
held to be unenforceable for any reason, such provision shall be reformed
only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable. This Agreement shall be
governed by and construed under Massachusetts law.

U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS. Use, duplication or disclosure by the
Government is subject to restrictions set forth in subparagraphs (a) through
(d) of the Commercial Computer-Restricted Rights clause at FAR 52.227-19
when applicable, or in subparagraph (c)(1)(ii) of the Rights in Technical
Data and Computer Software clause in DFARS 252.227-7013, and in similar
clauses in the NASA FAR Supplement.

Created and produced by Activeworlds.com, Inc.

[View Quote]

mod

Aug 7, 2003, 5:15pm
Actually the bug is in the world features dialog. Go into a world you have
CT in, and leave the world features dialog open, go into a world where
fly/shift isn't alloud and select fly and shift on in the world features
dialog. click apply and ok, and you have fly/shift in that world

-Mod
[View Quote]

john

Aug 7, 2003, 5:17pm
Exactly - No reason to ban

~John

[View Quote]

joeman

Aug 7, 2003, 5:59pm
Wait... but, why were you doing this exactly? Was there a justified
reason... Or were you just being foolish?

-Joe

[View Quote]

imagine

Aug 7, 2003, 6:10pm
Personally, I think he was just being foolish. World owners set the world
features for a reason and don't like when people mess with them. He
shouldn't have done what he did, but he should have gotten a warning from
AWI or the world owner, not a banning. The point is, that he didn't hack to
do what he did. He simply used, foolishly, a bug that was left in the
browser. I hope they are doing something to fix the bug. I would hate to see
more kids being banned for doing what you know kids will do when they find
something like this to play with.

Imagine

[View Quote]

john

Aug 7, 2003, 6:23pm
I was only doing it because I could supposedly only be banned from AWRPG
because I wasn't hacking, cracking, modifying aw's software in any way or
breaking the terms of the eula which I have (dating back from 2.2 I belive)
on my computer.

~John

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Aug 7, 2003, 9:17pm
I think there is a greeting in the world that warns about that sort of thing

r i c h a r d

Aug 7, 2003, 10:07pm
The warning dont say notin bout bugs

r i c h a r d

Aug 7, 2003, 10:09pm
But i checked the world server your worlds are running fine

xelag

Aug 8, 2003, 6:46am
Well, actually, AW is wholy to blame, and not john (however foolish
you may think he was). This is a security issue and should be patched
inmediately.

Alex

[View Quote] >Personally, I think he was just being foolish. World owners set the world
>features for a reason and don't like when people mess with them. He
>shouldn't have done what he did, but he should have gotten a warning from
>AWI or the world owner, not a banning. The point is, that he didn't hack to
>do what he did. He simply used, foolishly, a bug that was left in the
>browser. I hope they are doing something to fix the bug. I would hate to see
>more kids being banned for doing what you know kids will do when they find
>something like this to play with.
>
>Imagine

[View Quote]

kf

Aug 8, 2003, 6:49am
Absolutely agreed, especially, because of the action taken the word now
spreaded all over the newsgroups.

[View Quote]

xelag

Aug 8, 2003, 7:22am
OK, I have to change completely what I just said. John, you were
using one of the 3.4 beta browsers that had this bug (where you beta
tester?). By doing this, you have betrayed the trust put in you by AW.
The newer browsers may seem like they allow a non-CT to change
options, but they don't actually change them, at least, as far as I
could test it.

Or am I wrong, john?

Alex

[View Quote] >Well, actually, AW is wholy to blame, and not john (however foolish
>you may think he was). This is a security issue and should be patched
>inmediately.
>
>Alex

[View Quote]

xelag

Aug 8, 2003, 7:39am
Even if john was using a beta browser, this is a security issue which
must be addressed by AW. Alpha and Beta testing software should only
work during its allowed period (that is, if beta build 123 replaces
beta build 122, build 122 should not be able to function, and so on).
This might require that completely separate applications be built for
alpha-beta testing (not using the normal build sequence), that would
only work per build number, or that after a beta testing period, a
forced upgrade be done (or both). Beta software should not be allowed
to function outside the beta environment.

Alex

[View Quote] >OK, I have to change completely what I just said. John, you were
>using one of the 3.4 beta browsers that had this bug (where you beta
>tester?). By doing this, you have betrayed the trust put in you by AW.
>The newer browsers may seem like they allow a non-CT to change
>options, but they don't actually change them, at least, as far as I
>could test it.
>
>Or am I wrong, john?
>
>Alex

[View Quote]

kf

Aug 8, 2003, 9:13am
I duplicated the bug yesterday with the regular v494.

[View Quote]

john

Aug 8, 2003, 9:14am
Oh Good
[View Quote]

john

Aug 8, 2003, 9:15am
Yea i'm on 494... or I was

~John

[View Quote]

xelag

Aug 8, 2003, 9:32am
Ok, words retracted, john. Which means: both the current version have
this bug (which I could not replicate btw), and according to me, older
beta browsers with this and more bugs can still be used. Two issues
then that AW has to address to protect world owners. And no reason to
punish john, since he did not break a beta - trust. On the contrary,
I would say, for exposing this bug.

Alex

[View Quote] >I duplicated the bug yesterday with the regular v494.

[View Quote]

d a n

Aug 8, 2003, 9:44am
*nods head*

---
D a n

number 6 6@6.com

Aug 8, 2003, 9:47am
Same here, followed the instructions, went to awrpg and had pass-through and
fly options..

So from where is see it its a client problem not anything to do with "Hacks"
as you have never modified, changed(apart from your own world settings)
reversed engineered used any other means apart from what was there as a
option.. Mind you if I remember right its not long ago when a person found a
major security problem and was held up as a god.. You cant have one law for
some and another for others.

This little issue is withing a unmodified client software nothing to do with
"hacks"

[View Quote]

john

Aug 8, 2003, 10:40am
Thank you number 6 :-)

~John

[View Quote]

xelag

Aug 8, 2003, 10:54am
What seems to be happening here is that the browser has a basic fault
which should never occur: the browser aught to wait for a
world-attributes event before it believes changes in the world
settings have occured. This is a basic principle in programming.

For clarification (thanks john): the world settings are not changed,
but the browser believes they are. Since it is the browser that
decides ultimately whether to fly or not (of course, normally it obeys
the world settings received in world-attributes), if it believes it
may fly, it will, even if the world settings do not allow it.

Alex

[View Quote] >My citizenship and my 3 worlds were today disabled after previously flying &
>shifting in AWRPG (not a crack, hack or anything, just expoliting a bug that
>AW have left in their system). This is unjust as I have not atcually done
>anything against the rules.
>
>Any suggestions? I've emailed btw.
>
>~John

john

Aug 8, 2003, 11:19am
Looks like aw made a tiny little mistake there... they should auto close
world features and rights when you go to a different world.

~John

[View Quote]

.duo.

Aug 8, 2003, 11:27am
Technically if this is here:
"AWCOM exercises no screening, editorial, or other control over Content
available to you through your use of the Software and AW Software, and
Content may include material that could be deemed distasteful, misleading,
inaccurate, offensive, pornographic or otherwise objectionable. Furthermore,
use of the Software or AW Software does not guarantee any privacy or
confidentiality of any Content you post or make available through the
Software and AWCOM assumes no responsibility or liability for the
preservation of such Content and may modify or remove it at AWCOM's sole
discretion. You hereby release AWCOM from any and all liability for all
claims related to Content as well as claims related to the security or level
of privacy provided."
Didn't AW break the EULA contract?
[View Quote]

john

Aug 8, 2003, 11:29am
How?

~John

[View Quote]

.duo.

Aug 8, 2003, 11:32am
Is your name in reference to The Prisoner?
[View Quote]

.duo.

Aug 8, 2003, 11:34am
I agree fully. I think AW should give him an extension to his cit and a
world upgrade, not only for finding the bug, but also in compensation for
losing his cit.
[View Quote]

john

Aug 8, 2003, 11:39am
All I want is my cit back :-s

~John

[View Quote]

mountain myst

Aug 8, 2003, 11:46am
Did anyone stop to think that perhaps this had nothing to do with why John's
citizenship was disabled and that perhaps there are other reasons as to why
it was?

--
Warm Regards,
Kellie Williams/Mountain Myst