aw is dead :( aw managmenmt sucks (General Discussion)

aw is dead :( aw managmenmt sucks // General Discussion

1  2  |

duskbat

Jun 30, 2003, 11:11pm
AW managment sucks, AW GZ sucks. and there is no one left in worlds to
really talk to and revive the community. Get off your ass enzo and
start to improve this program. Stop snorting our money enzo we send in
for our cits. When i 1st came to AW in 1998 aw was very active and
everynite there was an event or function, or a community gathering with
many people who enjoyed the building and friendships in aw. Now this
place is INAVTIVEWORLDS and enzo i suggest u hurry up and register
www.inactiveworlds.com befor someone else does. But then again anyone
else would actually try and help this program. So is aw gonna get
better? are we gonna get more cits to play with? guess not. Mebbe i
will leave to what a shame to give up such a good idea. but then again
enzo and AW managment sucks. :)
Duskbat
(spell checker broken)

[View Quote] You're a trouble making, young, twit. Whoops? ;)

iggythealleycat

Jun 30, 2003, 11:48pm
in article 3F00DEA4.5060502 at innocent.com, duskbat at duskbat at innocent.com
wrote on 7/1/03 4:11 AM:
i don't get why ppl get mad,
just o what i did,
cancel,
when enough ppl who are not gor and not ds let's see what enzo does with a
reputation of sadon and gamora.
when things work you don't fix them.
if they don't understand our emails they prob understand the lack of dead
presedents we send them...
> AW managment sucks, AW GZ sucks. and there is no one left in worlds to
> really talk to and revive the community. Get off your ass enzo and
> start to improve this program. Stop snorting our money enzo we send in
> for our cits. When i 1st came to AW in 1998 aw was very active and
> everynite there was an event or function, or a community gathering with
> many people who enjoyed the building and friendships in aw. Now this
> place is INAVTIVEWORLDS and enzo i suggest u hurry up and register
> www.inactiveworlds.com befor someone else does. But then again anyone
> else would actually try and help this program. So is aw gonna get
> better? are we gonna get more cits to play with? guess not. Mebbe i
> will leave to what a shame to give up such a good idea. but then again
> enzo and AW managment sucks. :)
> Duskbat
> (spell checker broken)

lord perception

Jul 1, 2003, 12:02am
[View Quote] If you do not enjoy using Activeworlds anymore, maybe it's time to consider
moving on. Of course many of us have a strong attachment to ActiveWorlds
and are unwilling to let go, many hang around _Hoping_ for eternity that
ActiveWorld's activity will recover. But some times you have to admit this
constant hoping is futile and unproductive and you just have to let go and
admit ActiveWorlds isn't for you anymore AW is a place for ones to enjoy
themselves, but if it isn't "why waste your time in sorrow and pity" in my
view.

What can help is that we as a community perhaps draft up some ideas as to
how we can prop up the Activity around the place, even weird and wacky ideas
may help. One thought I had was to begin a register of when people who are
able to come on at certain times of the day and gather around AW Prime GZ
(or some other place) and have a discussion.

For me, I'm making preparations to move on and have largely replaced
ActiveWorlds with other interests. As I stated in previous posts I do not
log in much these days, and if I do it's mostly to check and respond to
Telegrams, every two months I manage to get enough juices to flow to enable
me to start building for a night or two before the urge dies off again.

Simply put, I don't enjoy using the program anymore. However it seems from
roaming around the current community, the newcomers are more than happy with
ActiveWorlds as it is. This is where I have largely concluded that
ActiveWorlds has changed and just isn't for me anymore. Despite that I am
open to any ideas that people have regarding propping up the activity around
the place before my citizenship go into possibly eternal hibernation this
coming September

So if anyone has any ideas, let them be heard now, else we had better move
on.

duskbat

Jul 1, 2003, 1:33am
I am just an upset and disapointed customer of aw this day. sorry for
going off, i am mostly happy :) had to vent and now i am calm. But
really AWI come to learn what it takes to run a VR enviroment. ENZO its
up to u also to help make this place the best of all colonized
cyberspace or watch the compition put u on un employment lines. what a
blow that would be for u and this community and this program like no
other. I got 12,000 happy customers at my work, how many happy
customers in aw :)

[View Quote]

mrbruce

Jul 1, 2003, 2:55am
I think we've been trying that with A!!CT, (since no one else cares), but
then again, all we meet is critism and people who do not give a damn, true
we do not own aw, or the aw owned worlds, but those of us who own large
worlds, like mine, who try to revive AW get nothing but attacks and idiots
from AWTeen world who attemp to destroy anything good that those of us that
do care try to do!
You want new blood in AW, you have to make NEW BLOOD welcomed, having a
bunch of punk asses from AWTeen going around harrasing and terrorizing a
tourist and deleting their build while they are in the mists of building
their creations, maybe be funny to the fuc*ing jerk and his goonie friends,
but its trash like this that makes people LEAVE! NOT buy a citizen! Stop
complaining and wake the fuc* up and stop depending on E N Z O to make AW
work!
I found AW Via word of mouth, had the person who told me about AW been a
tourist instead of a citizen, im sure they would have been one of the goonie
gangs victums and said to me "this program sucks dont download it"!
Cant AW's community do more than trash and harrass and terrorize its future?
For one i think whispers should be disabled in AWTeen and a world chat
monitor installed and monitored by AW Inc.
lastly Lord perception this not intended to be an attack on you personally,
i just posted off your post.
MrBruce
[View Quote]

mike zimmer

Jul 1, 2003, 8:25am
I built something my first day as a tourist. It got deleted in minutes. I
was mad, so I registered. I guess it can go two ways...
--
-Miek Zimmer
*Mike

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 1, 2003, 10:29am
See my comments below:

[View Quote] While I agree that E N Z O and the other staff should be a bit more
active at times, E N Z O isn't the "be all, end all" of AW. He can't
magically create twenty new worlds a day and bring in thousands of new
tourists (well, maybe he could if AWI launched a large TV ad campaign).
Take into account the staffers that aren't here anymore: Roland, HamFon,
Facter, and Flagg. I'm sure that doesn't help AWI to get things done any
quicker. Regarding the cit prices, some may consider than high in price
(IMO, the "world license" fee is my main grudge with pricing). But
really now, can you expect AW to be here X amount of years from now if
everything is free? Maybe you would feel better if another large company
or a mid-sized gaming company acquired and ran AW?

> When i 1st came to AW in 1998 aw was very active and
> everynite there was an event or function, or a community gathering with
> many people who enjoyed the building and friendships in aw. Now this
> place is INAVTIVEWORLDS and enzo i suggest u hurry up and register
> www.inactiveworlds.com befor someone else does. But then again anyone
> else would actually try and help this program. So is aw gonna get
> better? are we gonna get more cits to play with? guess not. Mebbe i
> will leave to what a shame to give up such a good idea. but then again
> enzo and AW managment sucks. :)

Have you tried looking at the events listed on the AWEC site? What about
the AW Festival 2003? You into those RPG worlds (plenty are now active)?
I've been in AW since 1996 and I've seen just about everything there is
to see, but I'm still here. Right now most of the staff are on vacation.
Sure, there are some bugs left in AW 3.4, but you have to give AWI some
credit with so few staffers (compared to other large companies, such as
Adobe with Adobe Atmosphere). One thing I do miss is Tech Talks,
however, and I'd also like to see NewAW open within the next few weeks.

If you are bored or have a lack of interest with AW, then put that
feeling to good use and be productive. Go out and create the next killer
event, town, world, object path, bot, or whatever instead of whining
about things like so many others do. Great things that don't "get old
fast" take time and planning. Finally, AW isn't for everyone -- if you
can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen (or however that saying
goes).

Another option would be to get a team together and make your own AW-type
program. Find some coders, modelers, texture artists, etc. and then you
may realize just how much work really does into AW. :) I'm not saying AW
is perfect by a long shot, but it is unique. I've tried MMORPGs, Second
Life, Adobe Atmosphere, Plastic Planet 3D and other VR programs, but I
still keep coming back to AW.

> (spell checker broken)

Might want to look into that spell checker problem. ;)

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

builderz

Jul 1, 2003, 10:41am
Don't forget about JP (Cryonics), too! ;) And while you're at it, you
can also blame Protagonist, Worlds Inc., COF Studios... they didn't make
X or they didn't add X feature so they must be bad. Tney are evil and
everything is their fault (yea, okay).

What competition are you referring to, Duskbat? I tried Plastic Planet
3D (very good, but it will take a while to mature), Adobe Atmosphere
(not really my thing yet, but may improve over time to a better level),
Second Life (I honestly don't like it at all), and others. The only
other major competitor that I see right now is There, and the graphics
look too "cartoonish" right now.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote] > ENZO its up to u also to help make this place the best of all colonized
> cyberspace or watch the compition put u on un employment lines. what a
> blow that would be for u and this community and this program like no
> other. I got 12,000 happy customers at my work, how many happy
> customers in aw :)

commander sisko

Jul 1, 2003, 10:51am
The main prob is that AW is full of bad quality ppl and losers lately. Yeah, 98% of all
cits are losers. Not exaggerated. Then you still wonder why no one wants to join
anymore?

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 1, 2003, 11:26am
Whatever happened to the mute, confirm join requests, and eject
features? Isn't that what Eep used to do (either mute a person or argue
with them until they stand down)? I know eject isn't available for
everyone, but it works nicely for world owners. Telegram spamming is
still a problem, but you can block all telegrams for a few minutes if
that happens. Sending files via AW can also be blocked in the options or
by using a firewall/router if you keep getting sent malicious things. As
for swearing, the browser could have a built-in swear word (cuss) filter
as an option that you can turn on off. For everything else, you are
right -- there is no easy solution. Some people just need to grow up.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

john

Jul 1, 2003, 3:06pm
Maybe AW should have a management committee made up of say 20 citizens of aw
who vote on whats best :-D

John

[View Quote]

maki

Jul 1, 2003, 4:39pm
[View Quote] maki

katerine

Jul 1, 2003, 5:22pm
About 270-300 new citizenships are created each month.
If the number of new citizenships dropped 40-45% right after the 400% price
raise in january 2002, this number is stable since then.
That does not indicate how many are annual or monthly registrations, but
still.

For what I can see, there are about 350 visitors at "rush hours" connected
to the universe.
A bit less than before jannuary 2002, but here also, it is constant.

Enzo and the others are probably doing their best, even if their best is
not always what we consider the best.

There are two points I personally do not agree with :
- The changes in the extra/more simultaneous users that used to be free of
charge (if it was requested like twice a year maximum) are now rated as
5$/day/5 users.
This is not very motivating for organizing special events.
- Nothing in the worlds list to see which worlds are tourist enabled.

Mr Bruce : as long as you will remain a big customer, AWI will care about
you.
I've noticed this when you were saying here that you were about to leave
:)

For the tourists builds deleted, maybe you could try to warn them before
they start for their work might become subject to deletion.
Considering tourists builds as a way to allow them to test and to learn how
to build instead of considering it something that is meant to "stay there"
would probably spare a lot of trouble.

sw comit

Jul 1, 2003, 8:46pm
Phew you musta been having a bad time in AW then. I been here for over 4
years and for the most part AW cits are fine and normal people. Don't
forget that the bad apples can and will make a lotta noise.

[View Quote]

john

Jul 1, 2003, 8:57pm
What are the VRT times.

~John

not neccesarly, it could do some good, a citizens committe, who will perform
surveys and tests and all, i think it should be setup, anyone up for
contacting AW and all? :)

-SWE

[View Quote]

syntax

Jul 1, 2003, 9:28pm
Actually, SW City is really active right now. :-o
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

weizer

Jul 1, 2003, 9:37pm
Well said Builderz, I totally agree :-)

-Weizer

"builderz" <builderz at vastnexus.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3F017D6D.3A002838 at vastnexus.com...
> See my comments below:

[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 1, 2003, 10:28pm
harsh, but partially true.
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 1, 2003, 10:32pm
I built way out in AW when a tourist, but since AW isn't open to tourists,
umm... yeah.
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 1, 2003, 10:33pm
What if Microsoft ran aw? O_O I don't want to think about it.
[View Quote]

.duo.

Jul 1, 2003, 10:35pm
in my experience, I'd have to agree with sisko, except say 70%. sorry, heh
heh heh.

I would refer you to the whole Citizens Union debacle if ENZO hadn't
wiped out the NGs. :P

Basically, the only way such a committee would have any real relevance
is if it had direct cooperation with AWI. Rick and Co. didn't seem to
hot to the idea back when they were a public company, but maybe now that
they're back in the private arena and seem to be slightly more
interested in interacting with the customers, they'd be up for the
challenge.

Penny.rwx for your thoughts on the matter, Rick? :)

A penny for your two cents
awnews at awnews.org

ya, talk to them bout it? :) it would do things like keep GKs and PKs in
place, and handle customer affiars maybe? plus make banners and all :) could
be very helpful.

-SWE

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Jul 1, 2003, 11:36pm
Ahem.......
Active Worlds Community Council:)
hint hint......
--
Swim away old friend.... thanks for the memories:)

in mine experience its been the opposite, only about 10% of all the cits are
immature, annoying prats, the rest are all cool, oh, im talking about CITS
here, TOURISTS are a total diffrent story, maybe 50% of them are annoying

-SWE

u means theres already one, or you talking about the thing that happened on
the price hikes, which goober already mentioned? :)
if at first you dont suceed, try try again :)
-SWE

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Jul 2, 2003, 12:26am
It's a group Lucrezia Borgia formed and never "un-formed"
Basically it still exists, just hasn't been active.
I have more info if anyone's interested.
It was a group of people that represented the Community and acted as a
liason between the Community and AWI.
It was the predesessor (spelling) to AWCC World being created.
The webpage might still be up...if anyone's interested:)

--
Swim away old friend.... thanks for the memories:)
[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Jul 2, 2003, 12:40am
Oops...the page is gone...but here is the structure;

AWCommunity Council
1. Chair-From the Community-Represents the council to AWI (COF) in all
collective concerns and projects
The above position was assigned to Aule, but he was unable to participate.
2. Vice-Chair-From the Community.
The above position was assigned to me, but with Aule's resignation and the
flurry to build AWCC world, I think the council was just put on the
sidelines.
3. AWHS Representative.
The above position was assigned to Chloe, who is still active.
4. AWEC Representative.
The above position was assigned to Omega who has since then resigned.
5. AWU Representative

Anyways...you get the idea.
I don't think there is any reason this couldn't be reinstated by the
Community at this time.

It would take folks who are interested in the betterment of the Community
and who can turn negatives into positives.
I don't think it would work if people who enjoy having b***h sessions were
on any chairs though.

I would think that the chairs would also need to be quite organized with the
concerns prior to sending emails or meeting with any AWI Representative.

Anyways...just food for thought:)