[AWNews] Tourist Poll (General Discussion)

[AWNews] Tourist Poll // General Discussion

Since some people in here have decided to take up the Tourist crusade
again, AWNews' Monthly Poll for May is also concerning tourist restrictions.

Now, last time we ran an announced poll, we only had 36 votes, which
isn't very representative of the entire AW population. Subsequently,
ENZO discarded the results. So this time around, I'm insisting that you
tell everyone you know about this poll so we can not only get a true
representation of what AW thinks about this issue, but also so ENZO will
actually consider the results! :P

Remember, when you tell other people about the poll, remind them that
they have to have an AWNews account in order to vote. Signing up for an
account is painless, fast, and I will personally guarantee you won't
wind up on any spam lists or whatnot because of it.

So, if you people REALLY want to affect change, VOTE! Or, we can just
keep arguing about it here in the NGs and watch nothing get done. :P

It's up to you.

Fight for your right
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

the lady

May 1, 2003, 8:58pm
I will take on that responsibility gladly!

[View Quote] So this time around, I'm insisting that you
> tell everyone you know about this poll so we can not only get a true
> representation of what AW thinks about this issue, but also so ENZO will
> actually consider the results!

> Goober King
> Fight for your right
> gooberking at utn.cjb.net

*smacks forehead* Might help if I included the URL for the uninitiated,
eh? :P

http://awnews.org

Proof that Goobers ARE as dumb as they look.
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

The poll form seems not to work in Netscape 4.78, IE 5.0
or Opera 5.0 . What are the requirements?

[View Quote]

77

May 1, 2003, 11:10pm
i have netscape 4.78 with no probs and i voted for tourists to have access
to all worlds but with restricted build rights. Jeez only 5 people have
voted so far and the one i chose it at the top with 65%

[View Quote] Doesn't work with mine. Seems some images and tables are quite messed up.

[View Quote] It's not even valid HTML :

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.awnews.org%2Fhtml%2F

--Bowen--

77

May 2, 2003, 12:06am
i dont know , mine worked fine. Maybee someone should get somebody to put a
add up in the gate or GZ to vote

[View Quote]

shred

May 2, 2003, 12:09am
What would be even better is an AW sponsored poll on this issue, but I doubt either one of these will happen :P

Can't say I know why it's not working, but then, I didn't code PostNuke.
The only thing I can recommend is a browser upgrade. :-/

Speaking of which, have I ever mentioned how kickass Netscape 7 is? :D

A broken record
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

77

May 2, 2003, 2:41am
lol i just realised i am running netscape 7.0 and like i said everything
works fine at the AWnews site so maybee the ones that are should upgrade

Nearly no web pages are valid HTML nowadays :(

The next thread gave me the idea, maybe I need to
be registered to get the complete form.

[View Quote]

the lady

May 2, 2003, 7:24am
Goober King, I think the thing is the registering to vote. To be honest,
it's a pain. Easier for someone to reply to a telegram. I feel you and AWI
want to have an idea of who is voting for what, making sure nobody votes
twice, that sort of thing. I understand that but you aren't going to get as
many votes and comments that way because of the red tape of registering.

Also, it's a privacy issue. I understand AWI's and your take on it, but
geez, some people do like to remain anonymous in their opinions. Anyone
that sends a comment to me gets it posted here anonymously.

I sent out hundreds of telegrams getting your word out, and the result of
who votes at your website remains to be seen, but it doesn't look like there
is much response. On the other hand, I am overwhelmed at the telegrams I've
received with people pretty much pouring their hearts out about their
experiences here. Saddness in seeing tourists restricted, paying out lots
of extra dollars to have them in their worlds only to see few trickle in.
In sharp contrast, maybe it's the combination of having someone one-on-one
to talk with coupled with no red tape in registering that gets the response
wanted and needed. E N Z O, please, put this on a wild colored Post-It Note
on the top of your desk and think about it seriously before you make your
tourist decision.

I understand that registering for an account isn't quite as easy as
firing off a telegram, but unfortunately, I have no control over that
aspect of the polling system. It has nothing to do with tracking votes
or anything. If you want to vote, you have to register. :-/

But if it's anonymity you're worried about, the poll system does have
the ability for users to post Anonymous comments (simply check the Post
Anonymously box before sending your comment). And the votes themselves
are always anonymous, as I, nor anyone else, has the ability to see who
voted for what.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Anonymously conspicuous
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

"ananas" <vha at oct31.de> wrote in news:3EB1C326.5915501B at oct31.de:

> The poll form seems not to work in Netscape 4.78, IE 5.0
> or Opera 5.0 . What are the requirements?

I noticed some invalid "class" attributes in the <input> tags, seems
related to CSS. Don't see why it's there, the people who make PostNuke
themes don't know their HTML well enough I guess. Reading the stylesheet I
guess it's to counter styling-stupidity in IE.

[View Quote] Even so, the mistakes on that page were silly compared to most. :) [The ones I make
are valid HTML now :D]

If you're talking about all the /> errors, that's standard PHP behavior.
Not that I know why it's necessary, but I see it in PHP code all over
the place. :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Is that like /.?
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

Things like <br /> have always been optional in HTML I think,
at least HTML4 allows them.

In XML they are a must. Each unary tag needs it in order to
close itself properly. Optional would be <br></br> but who
wanted to type that all the time.

I am not sure why it complains about those <meta ... /> tags,
it does not complain about all of them. I moved them arround
a bit and it accepted more of them. I guess it is a bug in
the validator.

Stuff like this : name=News&file=index&catid=&topic=73 IS
definitely a bad error, HTML requires &amp; in place of a
single ampersand.
Using htmlentities() or htmlspecialchars() on those strings
should fix it - but it is sure somewhere in the deep dungeons
of PHPNuke :-/

Actually we learned in Stats class that if you disseminate the data
correctly, anything over a sample of 30 is representative of the entire
population. You will just have a higher standard error than if the sample
were larger.

SW Chris

I checked the PHPNuke bug discussions, it is a known bug

[View Quote]

screb

May 2, 2003, 6:31pm
Allready for a year I wonder for who the sign is ment at AW GZ wich says:
"Join the largest & fastest groing nation in the Cyberverse. Become an
Active Worlds citizen... "

Is that sign at GZ ment for the tourists that can't come in there anymore???
Or is that sign ment to show us all how much AWI is really interested in
updating and containing their worlds.

Besides that I only see the community getting smaller and the amounts of
worlds going down.... weird... Well I'll keep watching the moving clouds
we have nowadays, no-one left to talk to anyway...

screb.

[View Quote] PHP can be validated as proper HTML too. I've done it before, and I know Ananas and
KAH have as well. :P

The reason I don't do my pages in valid html is because making the html
valid messes my tables up. :P I expect that it's the same way with a lot
of other people too.

Chris

[View Quote] Try doing tables correctly ;). My tables look fine.

--Bowen--

pc hamster

May 3, 2003, 1:07am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Looks as though the Validator needs to be updated to reflect the way web
pages and websites are made TODAY as opposed to back when IE and Netscape
were still in 3.x and EVERYTHING was in 16 bit.....

Just a thought... :-)

Patrick

pc hamster

May 3, 2003, 1:10am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Uhh Wayne (I know 77 personally), I hate to break it to you, but there's
really not an upgrade past Netscape 7.0 (thank god AOL has SOME mercy on our
souls :-) *knocking on wood*). *LOL!*

Patrick

pc hamster

May 3, 2003, 1:17am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] Just curious Goober....If AWNews is YOUR OWN website, then HOW is it you DO
NOT have any control over the registration issue??

FWIW...I registered, but I'm curious...

Curiously Yours (and everyone else's too :-)),

Patrick

pc hamster

May 3, 2003, 1:31am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] It just goes to show how QUICKLY AlphaWorld was practically abandoned at the
Corporate level by the old AWCorp and was left that way when AWI took over
last year.... :-(

> Besides that I only see the community getting smaller and the amounts of
> worlds going down.... weird... Well I'll keep watching the moving
clouds
> we have nowadays, no-one left to talk to anyway...

If ya go about 30-35 miles (or roughly 5000 meters) to the North, you just
might catch ME building away in Hamsterville. :-)

BTW....Out of curiosity, here's a couple math questions to challenge the
mathmeticians amongst us (and to jog my now-half-mushrrom of a brain with).

1). How many meters are there in a mile?
2). To post a sign announcing mileage between two towns using an oddball
direction (such as NW), I assume I add up the total mileage in both
directions and divide by 2. Am I correct on this?

The reason I ask this is becuase I have a sign at the very southern tip of
Blankaborg and I would love VERY MUCH to convert the distance in meters to
distance in miles to keep it AT LEAST fairly consistent with the other signs
in the Blankaborg Metro area. :-)

Thanks a bunch in advance for the answers & Cheers for now :-)

Patrick Cook (e.g. PC Hamster)
pchamster at attbi.com
Denver, Colorado (my REAL city :-))

[View Quote] It is up to date with the most recent standards.