GKs and their Perks (General Discussion)

GKs and their Perks // General Discussion

1  2  3  |

77

Apr 30, 2003, 8:45pm
OK then give me the definition of voluntary service at least that is what it
is supposed to be and if you do get something in return for voluntary
service it isnt voluntary is it.
[View Quote]

77

Apr 30, 2003, 8:51pm
i also have witnessed numerouse times where the job wasnt getting done
because the GK that was suppose to be there wasnt there. Your refrence to
the receptionist, i dont think i would tell them that because most
receptionists do get paid.

*smacks forehead* You don't listen too well, do ya, chief? Here, I'll
break it down for you:

Person A likes to help people and decides to become a GK/PK/WK/Teacher/etc.
Person A contacts said organization to join
Person A goes through application process
Person A gets accepted and becomes a member of said organization
Person A continues being a member for about a year
Person A learns that there are bonuses to being a GK/PK/WK/Teacher/etc,
such as cit extensions, discounts etc.
This news makes Person A happy, which gives Person A extra incentive to
continue being a model GK/PK/WK/Teacher/etc.

Now, no where in that process is Person A notified of the perks
associated with their job when they signed up. They learn of these perks
later on. In fact, I'm willing to bet the average non-GK/PK/Wk didn't
even know these perks existed until you mentioned them.

You'll also note that Person A's original motivation for signing up was
to *help people*, which is true for the vast majority of GK/PK/WK/etcs.
While it's expected that there will be one or two bad apples in the
bunch, they are eventually weeded out.

Now, for the love of COB, you naysayers really need to get a hobby or
something. There are no conspiracies or oppression here, so let's not
try to create any, ok?

Searching for trouble that doesn't exist
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

elyk

Apr 30, 2003, 10:48pm
That is something that we are given as a type of reward for helping
out......I have also helped with things and events that didnt offer that
type of stuff is what I'm saying and I still helped with them despite that.
You came and posted as if we are all a bunch of snobby people who are all in
it for the cit extensions. That is not the case....a post just got settled
for the GK's and PK's and it was finally over until someone brings up
another topic to have everyone fight and argue at each other. This is how it
has been for years 77. Why are you arguing and making all of us out to be a
bunch of "power-hungry" citizens?

Elyk

[View Quote]

elyk

Apr 30, 2003, 10:51pm
*Claps*
[View Quote]

wing

Apr 30, 2003, 11:35pm
I assume English is your first language? AT&T doesn't offer international
broadband to the best of my knowledge.

Yes? LEARN TO WRITE IT.

Then, once you're done learning the language, attempt to construct a
coherent argument that doesn't consist of "GKs are corrupt! They're
compensated! I SAID THEY'RE CORRUPT BECAUSE THEY GET COMPENSATED!"

And to shoot down your only decent argument:

vol·un·tar·y adj.
Acting or done willingly and without constraint or expectation of reward: a
voluntary hostage; voluntary community work.

"Without [...] expectation of reward"

Should speak for itself.

--
Wing
Dictionaries are great tools for bashing people in the face with

[View Quote]

the lady

May 1, 2003, 1:22am
If I ever get an interview, pass their training and become a GK, I'll darn
sure feel like i've earned every ounce of the perks they offer.

[View Quote]

mauz

May 1, 2003, 12:57pm
[View Quote] I don't know if they were implemented by AWI's or some community group's initiative,
but apparently the company feels that these volunteers are good for the business
beyond what they lose with these discounts. It would take time and money
to train paid workers to do the same thing and with the same enthusiasm too.
Maybe some would leave without these perks because they felt unappreciated,
but there are also many who simply could not afford to pay for their citizenship otherwise.

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

May 1, 2003, 2:03pm
well actually I was thinking of the ones who pretend to be GK s etc and come
into worlds with AWhack programs and upset world owners who can do nothing
about it since AW knows this happens and does nothing to help rid the
problem

[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

May 1, 2003, 2:04pm
goob you dont really HAVE to keep talking down to ppl or do
ya?????????????????????

Actually, I do; especially when they come in here and talk down to the
community in the first place. :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
A tall face in the crowd
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

Why don't you answer my question, now? I think you skipped over it.

Why are you upset about this revelation? Is it because you think PK's are
powerhungry, or because you haven't been told before, or what?

Chris

How is it good?

Chris

Answer my question first.

Why are you upset about this revelation? Is it because you think PK's are
powerhungry, or because you haven't been told before, or what?

SW Chris

MY QUESTION! You skipped it! :P On purpose, methinks. Tomato throwers
don't like to answer tough questions.

Why are you upset about this revelation? Is it because you think PK's are
powerhungry, or because you haven't been told before, or what?

SW Chris

And on their first post at that. Sheesh.

Chris

What does that have to do with your arguement of GK's getting compensated
for their troubles? Now answer my question!

Why are you upset about this revelation? Is it because you think PK's are
powerhungry, or because you haven't been told before, or what?

Chris

[View Quote]

77

May 1, 2003, 6:41pm
if you red my letters in this group I never said anything at all about PKs
or them being power hungry but I do think from what I have experienced at
the gate and from what I have read in here about GKs that SOME of them are.
MY only question was is that I wonder if they didn't have the perks if any
of them would stay if their extensions were revoked and they had to pay for
AW like the rest of us

[View Quote]

wing

May 1, 2003, 6:42pm
He doesn't want to answer :)
[View Quote]

77

May 1, 2003, 6:45pm
it is good because they are community volunteers look it up in the
dictionary. It is also good because if the people that actually want to help
people do not need to be compensated for it like numerous cits that do the
same thing without the perks and eject privs
[View Quote]

stecloud

May 1, 2003, 6:46pm
He seems hell bent on not giving you an answer, take that whichever way you
see fit - but I know which way I'm taking it.

77

May 1, 2003, 6:47pm
Oh and i suppose just the GKs have to put up with them and not anyone else.
[View Quote]

77

May 1, 2003, 6:57pm
i dont have anything against PKs or for the most part GKs but i wonder how
many of them would still be around if cit extensions were revoked and had to
pay for it like the rest of us lowely cits that dont have any power and help
people when they ask without having to be compensated. and if you read my
post i never called anyone power hungy
[View Quote]

77

May 1, 2003, 7:03pm
I started this post so I would like to end it . I guess allot of people
didn't know that they had these perks because when you ask a GK if they get
something in return they will always say no and not tell you about the
perks.

[View Quote]

ryan

May 1, 2003, 7:28pm
No 6 months extension for me..mine was a scant 3 months (cut in half by
Mountain Myst apparently as my cit extension was due)

Ryan

[View Quote]

stecloud

May 1, 2003, 7:43pm
Thats what I wanted to know, thanks. Regarding that post above, id dint say
anything like that about you lol. I'm sorry if you think it was implied as
it really wasn't though.

mmm your extention was cut because you needed to reregister anyway? That
seems wrong.

mauz

May 2, 2003, 11:56am
[View Quote] It is hard to stop kids calling themselves GK-this-and-that,
just have to educate people not to believe everything they are told.
If it is your own world then feel free to boot them.
The dedicated Gatekeeper citizenships are numbers 292634-292683 and
297633-297644 I think, and GKs are only allowed to use them in AWGate
and certain event worlds like Godzilla and Avatars conference worlds.

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

rossyboy

May 2, 2003, 5:48pm
How do you know they do it because they get their cits extended? Can you
magically look into their minds somehow?

"77" <n0zoa at attbi.com> wrote this
(news:3eb050d5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 30
Apr 2003:

> and that is good because you do it without having the perks so why
> cant the rest of them do it without the perks if they truly wanted to
> help people just to be helpful instead of because they get their cits
> extended

rossyboy

May 2, 2003, 5:50pm
That's exactly it 77... the GKs HAVE to deal with them. *Anyone else* can
just walk away but the GK has to waste time with stupid people.

"77" <n0zoa at attbi.com> wrote this
(news:3eb187ef$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 01
May 2003:

> Oh and i suppose just the GKs have to put up with them and not anyone
> else.

1  2  3  |