agreeing with the GK's is bad (General Discussion)

agreeing with the GK's is bad // General Discussion

1  2  3  4  5  6  |

bowen

Apr 20, 2003, 4:55am
Lavishh: chicken breasts isnt profane
MR KEBO: hi Leighsa
tonycat o: anyone seen my Karren tonight?
Bowen: it's quite G rated
Anru: hi Leighsa
MR KEBO: you stop too Bowen
tonycat o: hello Leighsa
Bowen: breasts is also G rated depending on the term
Leighsa: hi MrKebo
Lavishh: too much
MR KEBO: trhats it
Leighsa: hi tony
Bobabri2: *covers ears*
Bowen: as long as it's not entrenching into sexual discussion
Leighsa: hi anru
"Horaz": hi
Bowen: hey, I'm simply pointing out the rules
"CLover": *covers eyes*
Immigration Officer: You have been ejected from awgate

Don't agree and put what the guidelines mean into words while at the gate, that's
forbidden... follow up telegrams:

Telegram from MR KEBO, sent just now:
what ever...report me and stop me from being a GK ,,, OH Big DEAL ,, Yaaaaaaaaaa
Horrrrawwwwwwwwwwww Go for it Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Telegram from MR KEBO, sent just now:
OK what Every MAN ... Do What U think U should Like I really give A FLYING :LEAP....
I dont GAVE A BULLS ASS . OK ?? GOOD ??? HAPPY ?? GREAT !!!!

I just love the dogmatic ideals of a GK. They're so professional, as well. I'll
forgo reporting until, maybe... if I feel it's necessary and I see how other people
feel and think about this.

Apr 20, 2003, 5:16am
Hanging around the gate a while longer brought some odd ejectables. Seems a GK
ejected a tourist because they kept saying "shut up...". "Confused," I guess fits
him well.

--Bowen--

goddess innie

Apr 20, 2003, 5:22am
Okay, someone got booted for saying shut up! This is out of control! Most
of the GK's are my friends. But abusing the power to boot is too much for
me, and most of the others. YOu can not boot for saying shut up! Nor can
you boot for saying shitake mushroom (even if I mispelled it, on accident!).
GK's should not boot for such things, nor should they call people idiots.
They should however, remind people to use their mute buttons, teach tourist
how to use the controls, etc.

Something really has to be done! I am watching the gate get worse and worse.

[View Quote]

elyk

Apr 20, 2003, 6:50am
If only AW would concentrate on some of their decision-making skills the way
they concentrate on G-rated GZ's....we might be somewhere LOL
[View Quote]

elyk

Apr 20, 2003, 6:54am
Then again, if that person were flooding the screen with "Shutup Shutup
Shutup Shutup Shutup Shutup Shutup," then that is a means for eject....but
for just saying "shut up" once or so is an absurd reason to eject a person
and a good way for AW to loose a future citizen ;)

Apr 20, 2003, 8:32am
I fully agree,
Many of the Gatekeepers have been, and still are, great friends to me,
including Mr Kebo. But its important to recognise that these ejection sprees
don't continue, it makes a complete mocary of the first world that users see
when they enter the universe, especially when the people who get ejected
come back armed and dangerous.

I recently got ejected by De De Cybermom for saying the following, I do not
wish to really make this public but this has gone way way too far to not
bring all this to light.

----
De De Cyber Mom: Ever wondered what it would be like to fly? Well now you
can try it, all flyswatters are under lock and key. To FLY, use the PLUS (+)
key on your number pad. To make the perfect landing use the MINUS (-) key
Strike Rapier: *wonders why the GKs attempt to make such bad jokes about
flyswatters and such*
Immigration Officer: You have been ejected from awgate
----

Now surely such actions are not suitable for a gatekeeper, being the first
line of display, of Active Worlds Inc user empowerment and supposed help...
Lets look further into this incident with me shall we, to take an example.

----
Strike Rapier: De de please learn to exercise a little restraint when
representing an Active Worlds Inc world in future and follow the AWI conduct
guidelines on using eject in AWi worlds, thankyou :)
De De Cyber Mom: think i know the rules better then you Strike you wouldnd
be ejected if you did
----

This is, of course the spontainious ejection for doing nothing, without any
verbal comment or otherwise warning directly contradicting the standard
policy for ejecting which basically equates to 'If they are acting like hell
and youve tried to resolve the problem but failed!'

Thank god she actually shut up and let Nyx Amena (who, though first time ive
seen that GK, turns out to be a pretty decent 1). Anyway the incident has
been taken to the GK High Priests (Aka Capaboo, Maggie and that rather
entertaining PickLeMeELmo chap)

I think the amount of cases that we have now had, and the magnitude of
evidence that is compiling something needs to be done, I dont want anyone
fired (yet) but its quite clear that this simply cannot go on, this may
sound a bit perculiar in its phrasing, but its also very very worrying that
theyre ejecting citizens like this, people who actually pay to be in that
world (and the rest of the public worlds - hence the AWI eject standards),
not some name changing tourist. It needs serious evaluation and action
taken, for now, we should leave that in the hands of the GK leadership and
team leaders...)

brock

Apr 20, 2003, 12:53pm
Well obviously she doesn't know the rules that good, and that is the most
stupid reason for ejecting someone i've ever heard of, unless your not
telling us more of that conversation mark :)

--
Brock - 308723 - DE Leader

[View Quote] ----
De De Cyber Mom: Ever wondered what it would be like to fly? Well now you
can try it, all flyswatters are under lock and key. To FLY, use the PLUS (+)
key on your number pad. To make the perfect landing use the MINUS (-) key
Strike Rapier: *wonders why the GKs attempt to make such bad jokes about
flyswatters and such*
Immigration Officer: You have been ejected from awgate
----
----
Strike Rapier: De de please learn to exercise a little restraint when
epresenting an Active Worlds Inc world in future and follow the AWI conduct
guidelines on using eject in AWi worlds, thankyou :)
De De Cyber Mom: think i know the rules better then you Strike you wouldnd
be ejected if you did
----

Thats all there is too it.

brock

Apr 20, 2003, 1:50pm
*shakes head* She doesnt even deserve to be a GK ejecting for stupid reasons
like that.

--
Brock - 308723 - DE Leader
[View Quote]

stecloud

Apr 20, 2003, 2:53pm
Ridiculous. You can't eject because someone doesen't agfree with something
you say. Especially if they are not breaking the rules.

Seriously there are a lot of worlds that have better "Law Enforcement" than
the GKs, and I'm not talking about Peacekeepers either.

[View Quote]

ryan

Apr 20, 2003, 3:18pm
Seems lots of complaints are cropping up about the GKs..me among them (and
I'm not one to complain about organizations like this either)

Ryan

[View Quote] They're ejecting on things that are G as well. "Breast" is G rated. It's actually
the synonym for the pectoral muscles, and the proper word for describing such. As
long as you're not using it in sexual debates it's fine, which no one was. (I don't
take my explaining why it's not sexual in nature to be encroaching into that either)

--Bowen--

elyk

Apr 21, 2003, 3:20am
I know ....and they are going to loose a lot of customers that way too
and/or future citizens....but AWI probably won't put a stop to it b/c
basically they don't really care on the citizens' opinions....which I think
that if they would have taken our opinions on some matters then they might
be getting more customers plus no one would bash them as much as they
do.....but thats just me ;)
[View Quote]

john

Apr 21, 2003, 10:57am
BOWEN! DUH!

You are talking about food that might be unacceptable for people of some
relgions

*winks*

lol... DOWN WITH THE GKS UP WITH THE .... PEOPLE?

[View Quote] Uh, it does not say no culinary debates. I wasn't specifically implying any one
religion either. I think chicken is acceptable to most anyways.

I think he was trying to be funny, Bowen... :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Thinking Bowen's Sarcasm Detector is defective...
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

rossyboy

Apr 21, 2003, 5:15pm
The current GK behaviour isn't acceptable at all. Sometimes when I go to
AWGate I start helping the newbies out of pity because the GK on duty
(not all GKs) isn't really doing a great job at helping them. I've been
ejected for stupid reasons too, such as correcting a mistake in a GK's
macro.

I would never guess the GKs are 18. The ejections described above could
be described as immature. The YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITY attitude is
driving newbies away.

If you want to help AW reccomend that the newbies go through the AWNewbie
teleport in AWGate - at least until the GKs get some sense. I can safely
say that most of the WatchKeepers (the moderators in AWNewbie), at least
all of the ones I have seen, would not eject for stupid reasons. WKs
don't throw macros at a problem. I should know, I am one ^_^

The WKs even had a meeting where we were told NOT to be strict. Ryan, the
WK leader, can enforce this. We have to fill in an ejection form
explaining why we performed each eject. I would hardly ever eject without
warning.

GateKeepers are driving people away with their behaviour - you can see it
in the reviews on download.com. Every time I warn for vulgarity I remind
the offender that there are other worlds in the AW universe that will
allow it. GKs just drone out a rule that they have saved in QuikWord (or
whatever they use now).

GKs need to learn you can't just do that then sprinkle a few tips-in-
macros on it to seem more friendly.

[View Quote] It wasn't really sarcastic... just kinda... weird.

--Bowen--

count dracula

Apr 22, 2003, 1:15pm
Unfortunatly triggerhappiness seems to be the word of today. The one beeing
currently in power is always right. You should enjoy it Bowen, you got to
taste the freedom of GKs, you better accept it or cry and accept it.
No matter what you will say or how wrong you think it is, someone more
powerfull than you have decided that they are the only truth. Your ejection
was simply pre-emptive, you could have said something not G-rated, after all
you could have the capabilty to do it. So dont whine, I know you are pro
pre-emptive measures ;-)

Drac
bowen <thisguyrules at 7k2.4mg.com.ANTISPAM> kirjoitti
viestissä:3ea23660 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Lavishh: chicken breasts isnt profane
> MR KEBO: hi Leighsa
> tonycat o: anyone seen my Karren tonight?
> Bowen: it's quite G rated
> Anru: hi Leighsa
> MR KEBO: you stop too Bowen
> tonycat o: hello Leighsa
> Bowen: breasts is also G rated depending on the term
> Leighsa: hi MrKebo
> Lavishh: too much
> MR KEBO: trhats it
> Leighsa: hi tony
> Bobabri2: *covers ears*
> Bowen: as long as it's not entrenching into sexual discussion
> Leighsa: hi anru
> "Horaz": hi
> Bowen: hey, I'm simply pointing out the rules
> "CLover": *covers eyes*
> Immigration Officer: You have been ejected from awgate
>
> Don't agree and put what the guidelines mean into words while at the gate,
that's
> forbidden... follow up telegrams:
>
> Telegram from MR KEBO, sent just now:
> what ever...report me and stop me from being a GK ,,, OH Big DEAL ,,
Yaaaaaaaaaa
> Horrrrawwwwwwwwwwww Go for it Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>
> Telegram from MR KEBO, sent just now:
> OK what Every MAN ... Do What U think U should Like I really give A FLYING
:LEAP....
> I dont GAVE A BULLS ASS . OK ?? GOOD ??? HAPPY ?? GREAT !!!!
>
> I just love the dogmatic ideals of a GK. They're so professional, as
well. I'll
> forgo reporting until, maybe... if I feel it's necessary and I see how
other people
> feel and think about this.
>
> --Bowen--

agent fox mulder

Apr 22, 2003, 3:43pm
well shittake mushrooms can easily be mistaken for the other word,lots of
people use it to disguise the real word and hide it in other forms....And
for saying breats,the gks have to eject you for those things its the
rules,especially if he asked you to stop....and saying shut up over and over
again isn't nice and it ruins the atmosphere,so i think the gks had all the
rights to,(of course KEBO was probably having a bad day to),its there job to
eject people for that,its not all there choice.....

-AFM
[View Quote]

agent fox mulder

Apr 22, 2003, 4:01pm
.....But how many times did he say shutup.....o.o

-AFM

Fox, if the GKs aren't smart enough to tell how a word is being used in
the context of a conversation, then maybe they shouldn't be GKs in the
first place.

"Those shitake mushrooms were delicious!"
vs.
"Those mushrooms tasted like... shitake! ;)"

You figure it out. :P

P.S. It's intentionally misspelled to prove a point. :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
This GK underwent intelligence training
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

princess kiki

Apr 22, 2003, 4:25pm
I feel that if the GateKeepers would use a bit of common sense and take the
entire conversation into context, this situation might resolve itself.

I was present for the Shiitake Mushroom convo and it was several people
talking about recipes for Chinese food. The GK totally took it too far:
threatening ejection and even calling them "idiots." Not three minutes after
the GK lost her temper over Shiitake Mushrooms, called them names and
threatened to eject those ladies talking about food, there was a LONG
conversation regarding Mianus, CT (which, I will admit was very funny, but
not appropriate for the gate) and boobies. She did nothing over that. That
conversation was held only to push the buttons of the GK after her obvious
overreaction of the shiitake mushrooms.

It is quite obvious when someone is just using words to infer something else
(ex: Mianus, CT) and when a genuine conversation is going on (ex: food;
chicken breasts and shiitake mushrooms).

However, Saturday night there was a very heated religious debate going on
and after several requests for them to stop (by regular citizens) and
several requests to the GK to stop theem, we finally just left. That was
very much against the rules of the Gate, plain and clear. There is no room
for question there and the GK was obviously, once again, following their own
rules and not those of AW.

It seems to me that the rules are not being completely followed by the GKs.
The rules are not that difficult to understand, even for the youngest
person. It can't be that hard, we all see it, so should they.

All they are doing is making the Gate a stressful place to be. The gate is
the first place most people see when they are trying out AW. It should be a
nice place with friendly people.

I should really note here that it is not all the GKs. Some of them are
really fair and genuinely strive to make the others feel welcome, and help
new people learn the ropes as well as kindly keeping people in-line with the
G rating of the world.

[View Quote] It wasn't pre-emptive because there was no proof I would've done anything (and don't
put this on Iraq because they _have_ done something in the past). You really need to
_learn_ what makes and breaks a true pre-emptive decision, and why Hitler is
different from Bush and why the PK's are more related to Hitler.

[View Quote] No Fox, it was not in any violation. Breast is a G rated word, the context in which
I used it there was G rated. I even explained why and how it was still G. I'm sure
they'd get on your case for saying things like "cheese sucks" because you use sucks
and that's offensive to some older people, but still in the G rating and not really
meant towards offensive.

--Bowen--

goddess innie

Apr 22, 2003, 5:38pm
And I am not the best speller. The first person that mentioned shitake [the
way I spell it, and so do the grocery stores where I live] actually spelled
it shitakey, shitakie, etc. He had no idea how to spell it, and he was
trying. I had no idea how to spell, and i was close! I mean, come on.
There is no reason for this. Lady Cherokee was the one that threatened to
boot me, and De De Cybermom called me an idiot. But, that isnt her first
time to call people names, either. I pretty much just keep her on mute.

P.S. If english is not the first language (and even though they can type
it, they dont know all the english words), it might be a bad idea to allow
them to be a gate keeper.

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Apr 22, 2003, 5:43pm
I do not agree Bowen. If I was a peice of cheese I would be VERY
offended.

Seriously though, GKs don't get on your case for "sucks" unless you use
it like "suck my..."

It seems like Fox just came in in the middle of the conversation.
"Chicken breasts" is G rated.

I think the point a lot of GKs fail to get accross (and this is what
drives away some potential citizens) is that not all worlds are as strict
with rules as AWGate.

"bowen" <thisguyrules at 7k2.4mg.com.ANTISPAM> wrote this
(news:3ea57b9a at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 22 Apr
2003:

> No Fox, it was not in any violation. Breast is a G rated word, the
> context in which I used it there was G rated. I even explained why
> and how it was still G. I'm sure they'd get on your case for saying
> things like "cheese sucks" because you use sucks and that's offensive
> to some older people, but still in the G rating and not really meant
> towards offensive.
>
> --Bowen--

princess kiki

Apr 22, 2003, 5:54pm
I don't think that is what is driving people away. I think it is their
inconsistent behavior and their willingness to take things out of context.
Nobody likes to get threatened with ejection, called names or told to stop
having a normal everyday innocent conversation.

[View Quote]

agent fox mulder

Apr 22, 2003, 6:09pm
Goober made a very good argument,i guess if they dont know what context it
is being used in.....And goddess,thats very true the gks shouldn't be
calling you a idiot or insulting you...And i guess breast isn't bad
unless"Let me see your breats"is said^_^
-AFM(second post in a year)

agent fox mulder

Apr 22, 2003, 6:14pm
Ya,i didn't know that they were calling them idiots,princess,of course just
to mention,the PKS at A!!CT arent to good:)i just needed to say this,they
were saying why i was being ejected and a tourist said"Having serveral
religions"Which i found racists(because i have two)Yet they ejected me,and i
contacted one about it and he didn't even give a shitake;-)...That has not
much to do with it but i just needed to get it off my chest:)

-AFM(yay Third in a year):D

1  2  3  4  5  6  |