3.4 my opinion for what it's worth (General Discussion)

3.4 my opinion for what it's worth // General Discussion

1  2  |

chiana

Apr 15, 2003, 12:54pm
this has been released too soon for a public beta.

there is still work that needs to be done,

%90 of people that i have talked to includeing myself do not certain aspects
of the new movement and seq behavior.

maybe instead of releasing 3.4 on open beta it would have been better to
keep it as a closed beta and just enlarge the beta users ?

"chiana" <stonkingv8 at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3e9c0f0d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> this has been released too soon for a public beta.
>
> there is still work that needs to be done,
>
> %90 of people that i have talked to includeing myself do not certain
> aspects of the new movement and seq behavior.
>

> maybe instead of releasing 3.4 on open beta it would have been better
> to keep it as a closed beta and just enlarge the beta users ?

Uh, no. It seems a good idea to make it an open beta, since you'll get a
much bigger pool of setups to run it on. They haven't added features for a
long time and have been working on bugfixes/adjustments for months, so it's
a good time to try them out in a larger group of testers. A beta is not
about what you like or what you don't like, that's up to the designers of
the software, and should be dealt with before starting to write code for a
new version. If people hate the stuff in 3.4, there's a chance they might
change it in the next version, but the beta is there to find bugs and real
problems, not preference. Anyway, it seems some of the beta testers weren't
too competent, or didn't report anything at all, so it might be a good idea
to let everyone report things.

KAH

poseidon

Apr 15, 2003, 1:27pm
I honestly think it was a good move to release 3.4 to open beta. In a way,
it kind of proves to the majority of a community, that AW really was
planning on releasing 3.4 ;). Most people who I have spoken to, and have
seen things like clouds and water, are absolutely amazed. I was playing
around with the day, sunset, and night skys in AWRPG last night and people
were amazed to see stars.. it's the little things. Anyway, I think releasing
3.4 to the public was indeed a good move.

Poseidon

[View Quote]

the joker ss

Apr 15, 2003, 1:28pm
the new movemnt system isnt a bug , and its intended to be that way , one or
the other has to get used ot it , but thats the way it iwll be in final
version also .

carlbanks

Apr 15, 2003, 1:47pm
It's perfect. Movement is perfect! Seq's are perfect!

[View Quote]

chiana

Apr 15, 2003, 2:20pm
[View Quote] the seqs arnt perfect at all, the wait seq restarts itself after about 5
secs like a continuous loop

carlbanks

Apr 15, 2003, 2:26pm
The Dev's choose what AW does. It's supposed to loop think.

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Apr 15, 2003, 3:22pm
Didn't the wait SEQ ALWAYS loop? How the avatar looks at his watch etc.
etc. etc... I remember avs always used to do that all the time.

If it restarts itself too soon, then that is probably a bug :¬) help AW
and report it.

(That's why it's an OPEN BETA, and not a MANDATORY UPGRADE)

"chiana" <stonkingv8 at hotmail.com> wrote this
(news:3e9c2337$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 15
Apr 2003:

[View Quote]

chiana

Apr 15, 2003, 3:41pm
seqs always looped but not after 5 secs of starting LOL

wait seq starts 5 secs after starting it restarts and then it follows this
loop untill you move, if this is a bug i fail to see how it could have been
missed as it is totally ovious

defiance

Apr 15, 2003, 5:19pm
Not 5 secs, but yes it restarts too soon.

[View Quote]

brant

Apr 15, 2003, 5:23pm
I personally find that the new movement system is excellent. It's much
smoother and faster than the old system and is a big improvement.

Please, next time reconsider saying that others don't like the system. They
can post on their own if they don't like it. I certainly don't believe it
when you say that "90% of people I talked to don't like the new system."
Unless you hold a survey or give names, it doesn't make sense to post
unjustified comments.

-Brant

[...]

Apr 15, 2003, 5:43pm
1 faster and smoother doesnt make it better
that is your opinion

2 i dont care weather you believe me or not,
out of 20 or so people that i am in contact with that have gone over to the
beta since yesterday most of them have all said it is now difficult to move
your avatar in small increments compared to how it was in 3.3 , now it just
overshoots.

" Please, next time reconsider saying that others don't like the system.
They
can post on their own if they don't like it."

sort it out LOL * rolls eyes *

sk8man 1

Apr 15, 2003, 5:51pm
No-one was required to upgrade to 3.4 beta.

[View Quote]

chiana

Apr 15, 2003, 5:55pm
err what difference does that make ?

when 3.4 comes out if small movments stay like they are now the people that
have problems with it now will still have problems with it then lol

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Apr 15, 2003, 6:14pm
It could have easily been missed by anyone eagerly trying to find out
e.g. what it is about a certain SEQ that causes a crash and stuff like
that. I didn't notice it when I downloaded the beta.

It IS a bug - why would they do this on purpose? It could be something to
do with the new SEQs for walking and flying and stuff, they might have
not noticed they were causing this problem if they were busy testing how
they were working by themselves.

Anyway, report it if oyu haven't already.

"chiana" <stonkingv8 at hotmail.com> wrote this
(news:3e9c3638$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 15
Apr 2003:

> seqs always looped but not after 5 secs of starting LOL
>
> wait seq starts 5 secs after starting it restarts and then it follows
> this loop untill you move, if this is a bug i fail to see how it could
> have been missed as it is totally ovious

kf

Apr 15, 2003, 6:44pm
Posting it 3 times won't count 3 times though <g>

[View Quote]

kf

Apr 15, 2003, 6:48pm
I am generally fine with the movement, but 2 issues are not:

a) too fast acceleration, make it impossible to navigate precisely (eg.
landing on pole, sidestep of a few cm only: The smallest possible move
(average of multiple tries) is about 70cm now, when it was 20cm before.

b) CTRL+rotation is way too fast, takes me under 1 second to take a full
360° turn (4 seconds with 3.3) - which makes it impossible to run and
make little direction adjustments (even the lightest tip on the rotation
key rotates me already up to 60 degrees)

[View Quote]

chiana

Apr 15, 2003, 6:54pm
" a) too fast acceleration, make it impossible to navigate precisely (eg.
landing on pole, sidestep of a few cm only: The smallest possible move
(average of multiple tries) is about 70cm now, when it was 20cm before. "

thats what i meant but you explained it better , thanks lol

sk8man 1

Apr 15, 2003, 7:17pm
The way you said it up there it sounded as if AW forced you to download the
3.4 beta browser. They didn't force you, they put it out for more testing.

"this has been released too soon for a public beta.

there is still work that needs to be done,

%90 of people that i have talked to includeing myself do not certain aspects
of the new movement and seq behavior.

maybe instead of releasing 3.4 on open beta it would have been better to
keep it as a closed beta and just enlarge the beta users ?
"

defiance

Apr 15, 2003, 7:19pm
I agree with that, except that CTRL+Turn is slow for me.

Brants been convrted!

[View Quote]

goddess innie

Apr 15, 2003, 8:38pm
There is no small movement, and that is very annoying. The avs continue to
move, even when you have stopped. 50 cm is alot, in the end. I have to use
my end button, ALOT to stop moving when building.

[View Quote]

defiance

Apr 15, 2003, 9:52pm
Exactly, precision movement for building tasks is impossible :(

[View Quote]

equin0x

Apr 16, 2003, 7:56am
Don't want it?
Don't download it.
Simple.
Actually, they dont even have it asking to upgrade, it is availible to
download if you choose, but there is not even a messege box for it.

[View Quote]

sk8man 1

Apr 16, 2003, 9:21am
Exactly :P

[View Quote]

chiana

Apr 16, 2003, 9:49am
thats really going to help when the beta is over and it is a forced upgrade
from 3.3 to 3.4 and the mentioned issuses stay the same for the people that
have them, why do you think it was mentioned here ? , it wasnt to complain
it wasnt to say " i dont want it " , as the title says it was to share my
opinion.

The 5 key is your friend.

kf

Apr 16, 2003, 7:38pm
1) does not work when NUMlock is on, which is a default for many (most I
know) computer users

2) does not work because when the slightest tip (= key reaction) already
drives me a big distance, pressing "5" (which would, technically, come
into effect after the first key press has been registered) would stop
the movement too late as well. With "5" you only can eliminate the
effect of the skid (or the normal moving phase), but not the one of
acceleration.

3) why would I want to use a combination of keys, when, as a basic
function, pressing 1 key alone has been sufficent?