public 3.4 beta (General Discussion)

public 3.4 beta // General Discussion

Apr 15, 2003, 12:28am
I think that icon needs a little work. You can see the white pixels around it.

--Bowen--

dion

Apr 15, 2003, 12:39am
Looks nice, though. AW was ready for a new icon.

[View Quote] --Bowen--

ryan

Apr 15, 2003, 1:13am
Icon looks fine to me on my desktop..but on the taskbar (smaller) it looks
horrible (not to mention I have to get used to looking for it..I'm used to
the green icon or the red galaxy icon I replaced it with)

Ryan

[View Quote]

chiana

Apr 15, 2003, 9:24am
the AFK icon is darker and does not seem very clear
and when pressing side step you make too bigger movement, making it hard to
get in just the right place

brock

Apr 15, 2003, 9:55am
So far the cool icon is the coolest thing i've seen lol.

--
Brock - DE Leader - 308723

chiana

Apr 15, 2003, 10:00am
it is all movement not just sidestep

ryan

Apr 15, 2003, 10:26am
The movement is actually easier to get used to - I went back to 3.3 and
found it jerkier. But it seems everyone feels different about it, lol

Ryan

[View Quote]

ubermonkey

Apr 15, 2003, 11:00am
Personally, I think it's great. I had no trouble adjusting. Then again, I'm
used to lots of fps games.

It's been suggested before, but it would be cool to see user-controled
movement speeds in 3.5 (perhaps in the form of an addition to avatars.dat
allowing the world admins to set different movement options for different
avs)

[View Quote] The movement is standard 3.3 movement with just a little timing mechanism to stop you
from bouncing all over in a laggy area. The only movement that's different is
flying, which I agree, is too fast.

--Bowen--

chiana

Apr 15, 2003, 3:49pm
small movements arnt the same now it overshoots
maybe it will just take some getting used to :o)

[View Quote] Well, you're talking about flying. The walking and running are the same as they were
in 3.3. Maybe not the turning though.

--Bowen--

defiance

Apr 15, 2003, 5:07pm
I agree with you, it keeps overshooting you, impossible to land on a pole or
to align view with an object. With 3.3 it took me about 2 secs to do that.

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Apr 15, 2003, 6:18pm
That overshoot is just a little extra skid they added before you come to a
stop. If you hold down the brake key (5 on the numeric keypad) it doesn't
happen :¬)

"chiana" <stonkingv8 at hotmail.com> wrote this (news:3e9c3826$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com) in general.discussion on 15 Apr 2003:

> small movements arnt the same now it overshoots
> maybe it will just take some getting used to :o)

kf

Apr 15, 2003, 6:49pm
No, it is caused by the high acceleration - there is no skid when you
just tip barely on the movement key.

[View Quote]

defiance

Apr 15, 2003, 7:24pm
Exactly.

[View Quote]

ryan

Apr 15, 2003, 8:35pm
User-controlled movement would be good, but should be up to the world owner
whether to allow movement to be changed in the world (i.e. game worlds that
involve movement could set a movement rate for that world..)

In addition to that, could be fun to have movement slow down through
substances (imagines mud flats)

Ryan

[View Quote]

goddess innie

Apr 15, 2003, 8:43pm
I get a skid even if I tip lightly on the movement key. and the numeric pad
doesnt work on a laptop. (even if i turn numpad on, it doesnt work at all.
none of the numbers do what the hot keys say they should....and then i cant
type either, LOL)

I nag about that since they changed it and still
did not get used to it :(

Exact positioning is impossible above ground.
Would be better if it would start much slower and
then accelerate.

[View Quote]

defiance

Apr 15, 2003, 9:47pm
Yeah I agree.

lol, dont bother, ive tried over and over to get that feature implanted,
suggested ways of making it easy to control by world admin, but i had never
even got a response! :)

-SWE