Website Question (General Discussion)

Website Question // General Discussion

1  |

alphabit phalpha

Mar 18, 2003, 1:44am
Hey:)
How do I keep folks from seeing everything inside my main folder on my
website?
I mean if I have www.one.com/pictures/love.html is there anyway that a
person couldn't back up and see the pictures directory?
I know there's something I can do but not sure what:(
Thanks in advance:)
Hugggs:)
Bit:)

syntax

Mar 18, 2003, 2:27am
Put a blank index.html file in that directory.
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Mar 18, 2003, 12:40pm
Thanks Syntax!:)

[View Quote]

jerme

Mar 24, 2003, 1:45am
The blank index.html file is probably the simplest solution.. however you
have a few other obvious (and not so obvious options)

First you could rename "love.html" to "index.html" (unless you have some
really good reason for keeping it named "love.html")

Second, you could change the name of the file that the web server looks for
as an index. This relies on the fact that you are using the Apache web
server. To do this create a file named ".htaccess" (this file name is a
standard name, although your administrator could can change it). Inside the
file type the following on the first line:
DirectoryIndex love.html love.htm index.html index.htm

You could also turn off the automatic directory listings all together. To do
this create the ".htaccess" file and include the following. (this also
relies on your web server being the Apache server)
Options -Indexes

The .htaccess files are really the 'proper' way to go as creating a blank
index.html document may be simpler, but can leave visitors confused when all
they find is a blank page. If you must use the blank document method, at
least put this HTML tag in the <head>...</head> section of the page.

This will cause the browser to jump to your "love.html" page automatically
after 2 seconds. So, you can put something like "Redirecting, please
wait..." on the blank index.html document and the user will be directed to
the correct page automatically.

Hope I've helped you out, and not confused you....

Regards,
Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster

wizard myrddin

Mar 24, 2003, 12:35pm
Easyest way if you running unix based server is to cmod the folder and keep
the noisey parkers out of it.

"wizard myrddin" <wizard at rdescape.com> wrote in
news:3e7f17ba$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Easyest way if you running unix based server is to cmod the folder and
> keep the noisey parkers out of it.

Nope. We're talking about images used on a webserver here, it won't help
changing the mode.

[View Quote] You can't protect images really.

--Bowen--

jerme

Mar 25, 2003, 12:33am
You can't protect them on the client side without writing a custom
application to view them that does not allow saving and dows not allow
screen captures. (a formitable task, not worth the benifits...)

So, you can settle for the second best way of protecting images... use the
Apache rewrite engine.

For more on Apache, .htaccess, and the rewrite engine:
http://httpd.apache.org/

Regards,
Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster
JTech Web Systems
www.JTechWebSystems.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Mathew 5:34

[View Quote] Which would defeat the purpose of this entire thing since it's for AW.

--Bowen--

alphabit phalpha

Mar 25, 2003, 12:57pm
Thanks everyone for the answers to my question:)
I wasn't worried about people getting objects etc. I was more concerned
about when I give a url out to a picture that some folks might "back up" on
the url and see pics of people that don't want others (than myself) to see
them. I'll just put them elsewhere:)
Hugggs:)
Bit:)

"jerme" <JerMe at nc.rr.com> wrote in
news:3e7fc014$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> You can't protect them on the client side without writing a custom
> application to view them that does not allow saving and dows not allow
> screen captures. (a formitable task, not worth the benifits...)

You could still get it from memory.