php - help :-) (General Discussion)

php - help :-) // General Discussion

1  |

jstone2004

Mar 1, 2003, 1:53am
Anyone any good with php? I recently installed a php thing on my website,
and it was all the files that the website installed, but it's comming up
with a ton of disruptive little things saying something about errors, anyone
know what I'm talking about, or want to help?

Might help if you actually told us what you were talking about... ;P

"My thing won't work!! FIX IT!!" :P
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

maki

Mar 1, 2003, 2:37am
to me, it sounds like he's installed phpnuke or postnuke, those often have
lots of conflicts and errors when you first install them. and it sounds like
j is just trying to be secretive about it - avoiding it's actual name. :)
best thing to do with those types of problems is go to their forums and do a
search, j, for your errors, then post if you can't find it...but SEARCH
first!!!! they tend to have issues with people who come on and start a new
thread for the same question everyday. :) though i don't even know what it
is you're having problems with. only inferring.

maki

"jstone2004" <j at jlife.net> wrote in
news:3e602ea9$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Anyone any good with php? I recently installed a php thing on my
> website, and it was all the files that the website installed, but it's
> comming up with a ton of disruptive little things saying something
> about errors, anyone know what I'm talking about, or want to help?

No, nobody knows what you're talking about lol. There are millions of PHP
scripts out there, and an equal ammount of possible errors, post the script
and the errors, along with config info and PHP version.

KAH

wizard myrddin

Mar 1, 2003, 1:37pm
If you have installed phpnuke, and this is your problem,drop my a telegram
inworld and I will try and assist you in getting it on line.

Regards

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Mar 2, 2003, 12:04am
all that, and I forgot to mention that it is PHP Nuke :-)

Here's one way to solve the problem: Get PostNuke instead! ;P

PostNuke is to PC as PHPNuke is to Mac...
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

maki

Mar 2, 2003, 1:48am
he's right j, i started using phpnuke for a new site i was making but it
didn't work out so well and i hated the theme customization, so i tried out
postnuke and it's just as well and better - and has a MUCH easier
installation, no CHMOD'ing, sept couple files, and a visual in-browser
setup. :)

maki

"jstone2004" <j at jlife.net> wrote in
news:3e6166ac at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> all that, and I forgot to mention that it is PHP Nuke :-)

My guess is that you didn't read the installation instructions. For large
applications such as *Nuke you can't just drop the files and expect it to
work, there's a lot of DB setup, etc that has to be done first.

KAH

wizard myrddin

Mar 2, 2003, 11:17am
If you followed all instructions it should be ok, rem to edit config files
with the relevent info and cmod the relevent folders. The 4 sites we have
running under phpnuke give us no problems and run on auto.

Its usually a cmod problem or your database.

Have a good read of the instructions if you havent all ready done so and
follow to the letter, You can also unpack them to your web site if you can
access by secureFTP, this will peform the relevent cmoding for you, leaving
only the relevent files to edit.

Standardized website layouts...ich. Customize it! :)

Chris

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3e63cd4c at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Standardized website layouts...ich. Customize it! :)

Just create your own theme, they give you quite a lot of freedom with the
feel and look of the site.

But who actually takes the time to do it? :P

Chris

"sw chris" <chrisw10 at skywalkeronline.net> wrote in
news:3e652685$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> But who actually takes the time to do it? :P

Lots of people. It takes less time than writing the whole thing from
scratch too, and is good for people who don't program but know how to
design HTML.