Advertising and its lack of logic... (General Discussion)

Advertising and its lack of logic... // General Discussion

"Did you know that 1 in every 5 computers is infected with a virus? Don't
become a statistic! Click here to find out how easy it is to help protect
your PC with McAfee.com. " - From Hotmail file scan download.

If thats true.. then are you not still a statistic if you dont have a virus?
"The 1 in 5 who does not"

- Mark
Silly Microsoft

d a n

Dec 10, 2002, 6:12pm
"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote

>Mark
>Silly Microsoft

Correction: Silly Hotmail or MSN.

Actully its mainly the people who work for microsoft who run msn. And mcafee
actully paid hotmail or hotmail paid them as they use that for attachments
attacking msn.

It happens but 1 in 5 >_<.

Lets jsut remind you: "Most viruses created are harmless" but actully the
ones you hear about most are harmful.

---
D a n
- Silly MSN / Hotmail / Microsoft (Could be?)

anduin

Dec 10, 2002, 7:40pm
An identity claiming to be known as strike rapier scribed the following news:3df63dd8$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com :

> If thats true.. then are you not still a statistic if you dont have a virus?
> "The 1 in 5 who does not"

Don't you mean 4 in 5 who are *not* infected by a virus ;)

--
Anduin (317281)
- The Gorean Scribe

Ya get what I mean, just flip the prospective ^_^

- Me

[View Quote]

stecloud

Dec 10, 2002, 9:08pm
Advertising has always done stupid things like that. It sounds like some
sort of scare tactic but not a very good one.

"One in five - jeez, i better get their virus checking software because mine
must be terrible!" Don't know why anyone would automatically assume that.

OK one in five computers have a virus, i'm not going to say its untrue.
Just bare in mind there are hundreads of thousands of bacterium in the human
body - its nothing to worry about.

- Ste

PS - not condoining viruses, viruses can be something to worry about - check
regually ;)

Most Bacteria don't immediately attempt to get to your brain and wipe your
long term memory and hog your thought processes.

As opposed to virus's which Wipe your HD and hog your RAM / Processor.

stecloud

Dec 10, 2002, 9:15pm
Perhaps it was a bad analogy, but I stand by it - the vast majority of
viruses are harmless or can be conunteracted by defences - that was the
point I was trying to put across.

[View Quote] The only difference is your body stays infected with whatever virus you get. Which
is why most people only get Chickenpox (and it's varient smallpox -- if you live
through it) once. I think we should rename computer virus into computer bacterium.
:P

--Bowen--

agent1 webmaster@shatteredplattersdotcom

Dec 10, 2002, 11:01pm
okokokokokokokokokokok *takes deep breath* That's totally incorrect :O

A virus (I'm talking real-life, not computer) invades a cell or cells and hijacks it, replacing your DNA with its own. The cell starts making more of the virus until it explodes (or the virus passes through the membrane) and the new "copies" go around infecting other cells.

Your white blood cells see something frumpy's going on, and so they attack the virulent stuff and produce antibodies that will bind to that specific virus in the future. These either prevent the virus from entering the cells of your body or hold it until fluids produced by the liver can destroy it.

Either way, you don't "stay infected" with a virus; that's just wrong.

> okokokokokokokokokokok *takes deep breath* That's totally incorrect :O
>
> A virus (I'm talking real-life, not computer) invades a cell or cells and hijacks
it, replacing your DNA with its own. The cell starts making more of the virus until
it explodes (or the virus passes through the membrane) and the new "copies" go around
infecting other cells.

> Your white blood cells see something frumpy's going on, and so they attack the
virulent stuff and produce antibodies that will bind to that specific virus in the
future. These either prevent the virus from entering the cells of your body or hold
it until fluids produced by the liver can destroy it.

> Either way, you don't "stay infected" with a virus; that's just wrong.

Wow you really are an idiot aren't you? Try again, virii are dormant in your system
and can never be completely destroyed/removed. That's why you get immunized you
jackoff. Some require booster shots to work correctly but it's the same principle.

*blink* Bowen, are you actually getting pissed off over a discussion
about viruses?! Have you been dipping into BinaryBud's stash or something?

How about you go outside, take a deep breath, go for a walk, and maybe
meet some new people while you're at it. It'll do your body, and the
viruses inside 'em, some good.

Translation: You people *really* need to get out more!
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

[View Quote] No, I'm sick of freakfaces like him who actually think they're right on everything.
The only time he responds, given that one time, is to actually be pissy. Now, before
he comes back and says I'm wrong. T-memory cells use forms of transduction to ingest
the virii and take it's DNA/RNA in some viruses. Most often they take the
lipid/protein coat as to help recognize the virus outside of a host cell. Doing this
actually ensures the genetic material of the virus survives. During this battle the
virus mutates enough to not be noticed and it no longer is trigered by the actual
device which activated it. Hence why you can never cure a virus since it will always
be present in your system. Chickenpox, Smallpox, HIV, Influenza, the common cold.
You name it, they stay in your system.

Hell; why do you think you can only get chicken pox once or twice? Memory T-cells
degenerate after approximately 7 years so if that's the reason you're thinking of
it's not true.

--Bowen--

binarybud

Dec 11, 2002, 1:24pm
hey Leave my stash outta this...It's secure, nobody dips in it but me......;)

[View Quote]

john

Dec 11, 2002, 8:07pm
Erm - Windows ME does... it does that by giving you LOTS of blue screen
messages :-D
[View Quote]

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Dec 12, 2002, 12:31am
You aint kiddin' :O/

Thank you for completely missing my point. I guess I need to get a
little lower with the message here... How about this:

CALM THE FUCK DOWN!!!!!

Dude, nobody but you cares, ok? Either find something a bit more
worthwhile to complain about or just shut your cakehole! And if you want
to pick a fight with Agent1, take it to email.

As subtle as a brick to the head
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

> Dude, nobody but you cares, ok? Either find something a bit more

Well now if you'd use that brain you so subtly like to flaunt you'd realize he
obviously does.

> As subtle as a brick to the head

Stop looking in the mirror so much and realize how much of a jackass he is and stop
putting it all on me for just defending myself for the ump-teenth time.

Ok, here's using a brain for you:

In this entire virus argument, you have posted... *counts*... three
posts pertaining to the argument. Meanwhile, Agent1 has posted...
*counts*...

One.

Now, remind me again... what makes you think he cares?

As for him being a jackass, so what? You make it sound like he's out to
get you or something, when he does that to *everybody*. If you had
actually read my NG2tNGs, you would know that. :P

Pestering Bowen because he cares...
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

> As for him being a jackass, so what? You make it sound like he's out to
> get you or something, when he does that to *everybody*. If you had
> actually read my NG2tNGs, you would know that. :P

On average how much does he pester me compared to anyone else? Oh wait that's right,
more than 200%. I get rediculed enough between AWCom and everyone I help for no
reason, I don't need you and he on top of it.