Evvvilll Software Corporation (HTML!!!) (General Discussion)

Evvvilll Software Corporation (HTML!!!) // General Discussion

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C26FE8.1F174630

WindowsXP news is 1 of the very few mass sent-to pieces of E-Mail I =
enjoy getting, here is something I think you will all find interesting. =
Sorry about the HTML, it looks pure rubbish in ASCII / UNICODE Plain =
text. :)

Windows XP and Living and Dying in LaGrande=20

Windows XP is a computer user's dream come true. If you can get past the =
SP1 fiasco, XP is the most stable and secure operating system ever =
created by Microsoft. What's not to like about Windows XP? Nothing! =
Well, almost nothing. There's just one small problem: spyware. I don't =
recall any other operating system that was so interested in my music =
listening habits, what type of information I search for, what components =
are installed on my system, or that make it impossible to download just =
the files I need to fix the computer.=20

In life, we're used to taking the bad with the good. So what if XP is =
curious about some of the things I do on the computer; it's not like I =
keep State secrets on my computer, and it's not looking for my financial =
data and sending it to Microsoft. So in the end it looks like a "no =
harm, no foul" situation.=20

True, but XP may truly be the devil's workshop. I've talked about the =
dreaded Microsoft Palladium project in a previous newsletter. The =
Palladium project (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html) will =
allow Microsoft and a handful of other companies to completely, and =
without limits, control what you can and cannot have on your computer. =
Does your file contain a bad word? Palladium will prevent that file from =
being saved to your computer. Do you have a program "they" don't want =
you to install? Palladium will fix that too.=20

It will take computer hardware to make it work. The processor =
manufacturers will have to help. Intel is stepping up to the plate with =
its "LaGrande" chip. This LaGrande Chip will carry out the malicious =
instructions sent to it by the Palladium software and make sure that you =
don't control the computer. The whole thing is so scary, so enormous, =
that it's hard to find words to communicate what a nightmare this will =
be for everyone.=20

It sounds a lot like something I once read in a sci-fi novel:
"One highly successful Network factory in Dallas specializes in =
lobotomizing Union Interactors [computers] so that they no longer =
connect to outside the data grid, but carry onboard most of the =
information normally accessed from the grid. A lobotomized Interactor =
can't call grid, but it has a fifty Gigabyte Rion that contains world =
knowledge and can be updated for a few dollars at your neighborhood =
information pump. Although the law says that possession of a lobotomized =
computer is a class three felony, subjecting the offender to mandatory =
personality reconstruction, finding a non-grid computer is practically =
impossible, since it never accesses the grid and therefore doesn't =
reveal itself."
--Nature's End (1985)
--Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka=20

Scary, huh? Especially that last sentence. Will you spend time in prison =
for "lobotomizing" your Palladium/LaGrande computer? If the consumer =
(you) isn't vocal, if you don't write to your representatives, if you =
don't let these companies know that what they're doing is wrong, you'll =
end up living in the world described by Strieber and Kunetka in =
"Nature's End" (and it's not a pretty world). Click below if you want to =
learn a bit more about LaGrande. If you don't, we'll all become part of =
their La Grande plan!
http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D021001ED-LaGrande

- Mark

Wanna start making a crack joe? >:)

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C26FE8.1F174630

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff background=3D""><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>WindowsXP news is 1 of the very few mass =
sent-to=20
pieces of E-Mail I enjoy getting, here is something I think you will all =
find=20
interesting. Sorry about the HTML, it looks pure rubbish in ASCII / =
UNICODE=20
Plain text. :)</FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG>Windows XP and Living and Dying =
in=20
LaGrande</STRONG> </FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Windows XP is a computer user's dream =
come true. If=20
you can get past the SP1 fiasco, XP is the most stable and secure =
operating=20
system ever created by Microsoft. What's not to like about Windows XP? =
Nothing!=20
Well, almost nothing. There's just one small problem: spyware. I don't =
recall=20
any other operating system that was so interested in my music listening =
habits,=20
what type of information I search for, what components are installed on =
my=20
system, or that make it impossible to download just the files I need to =
fix the=20
computer. </FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In life, we're used to taking the bad =
with the good.=20
So what if XP is curious about some of the things I do on the computer; =
it's not=20
like I keep State secrets on my computer, and it's not looking for my =
financial=20
data and sending it to Microsoft. So in the end it looks like a "no =
harm, no=20
foul" situation. </FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>True, but XP may truly be the devil's =
workshop. I've=20
talked about the dreaded Microsoft Palladium project in a previous =
newsletter.=20
The Palladium project (</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html" =
target=3D_top><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>) will allow Microsoft and a handful of other companies to =
completely,=20
and without limits, control what you can and cannot have on your =
computer. Does=20
your file contain a bad word? Palladium will prevent that file from =
being saved=20
to your computer. Do you have a program "they" don't want you to =
install?=20
Palladium will fix that too. </FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It will take computer hardware to make it =
work. The=20
processor manufacturers will have to help. Intel is stepping up to the =
plate=20
with its "LaGrande" chip. This LaGrande Chip will carry out the =
malicious=20
instructions sent to it by the Palladium software and make sure that you =
don't=20
control the computer. The whole thing is so scary, so enormous, that =
it's hard=20
to find words to communicate what a nightmare this will be for everyone. =
</FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It sounds a lot like something I once =
read in a=20
sci-fi novel:<BR>"One highly successful Network factory in Dallas =
specializes in=20
lobotomizing Union Interactors [computers] so that they no longer =
connect to=20
outside the data grid, but carry onboard most of the information =
normally=20
accessed from the grid. A lobotomized Interactor can't call grid, but it =
has a=20
fifty Gigabyte Rion that contains world knowledge and can be updated for =
a few=20
dollars at your neighborhood information pump. Although the law says =
that=20
possession of a lobotomized computer is a class three felony, subjecting =
the=20
offender to mandatory personality reconstruction, finding a non-grid =
computer is=20
practically impossible, since it never accesses the grid and therefore =
doesn't=20
reveal itself."<BR>--Nature's End (1985)<BR>--Whitley Strieber and James =
Kunetka=20
</FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Scary, huh? Especially that last =
sentence. Will you=20
spend time in prison for "lobotomizing" your Palladium/LaGrande =
computer? If the=20
consumer (you) isn't vocal, if you don't write to your representatives, =
if you=20
don't let these companies know that what they're doing is wrong, you'll =
end up=20
living in the world described by Strieber and Kunetka in "Nature's End" =
(and=20
it's not a pretty world). Click below if you want to learn a bit more =
about=20
LaGrande. If you don't, we'll all become part of their La Grande=20
plan!<BR></FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D021001ED-LaGrande" =
target=3D_top><FONT=20
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D021001ED-LaGrande</FONT>=
</A></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- Mark</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wanna start making a crack joe?=20
&gt;:)</FONT></P></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C26FE8.1F174630--

dion

Oct 11, 2002, 8:58am
LOL.

1) All Microsoft products are shit.
2) WindowsXP isn't as stable as the article makes it seem.
3) Who cares if they know what you listen to? Also, it's not technically
spyware since there is an option in WMP that allows you to stop it.
4) Microsoft would be sued up to their necks before being allowed to use
that "Palladium Project" thing.
5) Screw Microsoft, get FreeBSD/Mandrake/RedHat... Hell, get Mac if you're
really that desperate! :-D

-Dion

anduin

Oct 11, 2002, 11:13am
An identity claiming to be known as "dion" <Dion at digevo.net> scribed the following <3da6aed9 at server1.Activeworlds.com> in general.discussion:

>LOL.
>
>1) All Microsoft products are shit.
>2) WindowsXP isn't as stable as the article makes it seem.
>3) Who cares if they know what you listen to? Also, it's not technically
>spyware since there is an option in WMP that allows you to stop it.
>4) Microsoft would be sued up to their necks before being allowed to use
>that "Palladium Project" thing.
>5) Screw Microsoft, get FreeBSD/Mandrake/RedHat... Hell, get Mac if you're
>really that desperate! :-D

And that coming from someone using MS Outlook Express ;o)

--
,,,,,
(o o)

agent1 webmaster@shatteredplattersdotcom

Oct 11, 2002, 1:33pm
Why do you make remarks like that without even trying to back it up? It's not like it makes you seem "cool" if you insult Microsoft. It just makes you look like a mindless follower and makes many people respect you a lot less.

"agent1" <webmaster at shatteredplattersDOTcom> wrote in
news:3da6ef59$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Why do you make remarks like that without even trying to back it up?
> It's not like it makes you seem "cool" if you insult Microsoft. It
> just makes you look like a mindless follower and makes many people
> respect you a lot less.

Well, hey, they are :-)) Just take a look at Windows. It's horribly
unstable, and in reality it's just a shell for DOS (don't tell me that it
isn't the case for XP, it is, they've just become better at hiding it).
Take a look at IE. It's appalingly unstable and very vulnerable to evil
HTML/JS/ActiveX. It supports a bunch of unstandard crap MS made up
themselfes. It doesn't fully support some good things (like PNG). Take a
look at Word. It's unstable, and bloats files. It has a HTML exporter that
exports to MS-HTML and not real HTML, making the code only work in IE. All
MS software is bloatware. They have crazy licenses and try to spy on you.
Do I really need to say more?

KAH

syntax

Oct 11, 2002, 8:23pm
>_<
XP is super-stable for me.
--
- Syntax -
http://www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

tony m

Oct 11, 2002, 8:43pm
[View Quote] >Well, hey, they are :-)) Just take a look at Windows. It's horribly
>unstable, and in reality it's just a shell for DOS (don't tell me that it
>isn't the case for XP, it is, they've just become better at hiding it).

I thought XP was NT-based, and thus doesn't use a DOS-based kernel like the 9X series?

mod

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C2715D.B1615B40

XP is a gift from god for me, and is the most usefull, advanced OS out =
there, all others are primitives, that is why they don't crash. Also XP =
NEVER crashed on me yet. Don't get me wrong I love linux, but for my =
everyday use XP all the way

-Mod
[View Quote] Windows XP and Living and Dying in LaGrande=20

[...]

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>XP is a gift from god for me, and is =
the most=20
usefull, advanced OS out there, all others are primitives, that is why =
they=20
don't crash. Also XP NEVER crashed on me yet. Don't get me wrong I love =
linux,=20
but for my everyday use XP all the way</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Mod</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"strike rapier" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk">strike at rapiercom.freeser=
ve.co.uk</A>&gt;=20
[View Quote] Nothing! Well, almost nothing. There's just one small problem: =
spyware. I=20
don't recall any other operating system that was so interested in my =
music=20
listening habits, what type of information I search for, what =
components are=20
installed on my system, or that make it impossible to download just =
the files=20
I need to fix the computer. </FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In life, we're used to taking the bad =
with the=20
good. So what if XP is curious about some of the things I do on the =
computer;=20
it's not like I keep State secrets on my computer, and it's not =
looking for my=20
financial data and sending it to Microsoft. So in the end it looks =
like a "no=20
harm, no foul" situation. </FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>True, but XP may truly be the devil's =
workshop.=20
I've talked about the dreaded Microsoft Palladium project in a =
previous=20
newsletter. The Palladium project (</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html" =
target=3D_top><FONT=20
face=3DArial =
size=3D2>http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>) will allow Microsoft and a handful of other =
companies to=20
completely, and without limits, control what you can and cannot have =
on your=20
computer. Does your file contain a bad word? Palladium will prevent =
that file=20
from being saved to your computer. Do you have a program "they" don't =
want you=20
to install? Palladium will fix that too. </FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It will take computer hardware to make =
it work. The=20
processor manufacturers will have to help. Intel is stepping up to the =
plate=20
with its "LaGrande" chip. This LaGrande Chip will carry out the =
malicious=20
instructions sent to it by the Palladium software and make sure that =
you don't=20
control the computer. The whole thing is so scary, so enormous, that =
it's hard=20
to find words to communicate what a nightmare this will be for =
everyone.=20
</FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It sounds a lot like something I once =
read in a=20
sci-fi novel:<BR>"One highly successful Network factory in Dallas =
specializes=20
in lobotomizing Union Interactors [computers] so that they no longer =
connect=20
to outside the data grid, but carry onboard most of the information =
normally=20
accessed from the grid. A lobotomized Interactor can't call grid, but =
it has a=20
fifty Gigabyte Rion that contains world knowledge and can be updated =
for a few=20
dollars at your neighborhood information pump. Although the law says =
that=20
possession of a lobotomized computer is a class three felony, =
subjecting the=20
offender to mandatory personality reconstruction, finding a non-grid =
computer=20
is practically impossible, since it never accesses the grid and =
therefore=20
doesn't reveal itself."<BR>--Nature's End (1985)<BR>--Whitley Strieber =
and=20
James Kunetka </FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Scary, huh? Especially that last =
sentence. Will you=20
spend time in prison for "lobotomizing" your Palladium/LaGrande =
computer? If=20
the consumer (you) isn't vocal, if you don't write to your =
representatives, if=20
you don't let these companies know that what they're doing is wrong, =
you'll=20
end up living in the world described by Strieber and Kunetka in =
"Nature's End"=20
(and it's not a pretty world). Click below if you want to learn a bit =
more=20

href=3D"http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D021001ED-LaGrande"=20
target=3D_top><FONT face=3DArial=20
=
size=3D2>http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=3D021001ED-LaGrande</FONT>=
</A></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- Mark</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wanna start making a crack joe?=20
&gt;:)</FONT></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C2715D.B1615B40--

Should be, yes. I use NT4 (boots a 32bit kernel, not through DOS)
and it's quite reliable compared to the 9x series - but comparing
it to a *ix makes it still not look too good.

[View Quote]

maki

Oct 12, 2002, 1:38am
me as well, I have no problems with xp, seems to run fine and better than
other ms os's...I don't really hate microsoft ..I don't really care, oh
well.

maki awmaki.com

Ditto, I run XP home and XP pro and ive never had any problems with the system itself.

dion

Oct 12, 2002, 8:58pm
I run XP Pro simply because I'm too stupid for linux. :-P I'm planning on
getting linux later but I'm afraid of going a couple of days without the
internet so I'm waiting till I get my new computer before I start figuring
out how to use it. Once I figure out how to use it, I'll stick it on my
personal comp. ;-)

Anyway, XP is generally stable until I start using my drivers. Once in
awhile, when I connect something to the USB, it beeps a buncha and reboots.
More than once my XP has randomly rebooted only to tell me that it's
completely fucked over when it comes back. I ended up reformatting. And no,
it wasn't a virus or anything, I watch all that stuff closely. My network is
secure and nothing on my computer can be modified by other computers on the
network. It's XP's issue.

-Dion

[View Quote]

dion

Oct 12, 2002, 9:01pm
Another thing to add. It uses a HELL of a lot of memory, even on a simple
theme like the Win98 look!

Yes, ever seen its backgroup tasks? It runs em in the same way, but its quick as hell because of it, but hell, ive got over a GB of ram, i can handle it

chazrad

Oct 15, 2002, 4:37am
look at www.lindows.con

ps

XP is unstable. i have about the same probs as Dion, as well as needing
to reboot every few hours because suddenly eplorer takes 98% of CPU.

use XP because at least it is more stable then the 9x stuff, but that
doesn't mean that much

Chazrad

"dion" <Dion at digevo.net> wrote in
news:3da8a931$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I run XP Pro simply because I'm too stupid for linux. :-P I'm planning
> on getting linux later but I'm afraid of going a couple of days
> without the internet so I'm waiting till I get my new computer before
> I start figuring out how to use it. Once I figure out how to use it,
> I'll stick it on my personal comp. ;-)
>
> Anyway, XP is generally stable until I start using my drivers. Once in
> awhile, when I connect something to the USB, it beeps a buncha and
> reboots. More than once my XP has randomly rebooted only to tell me
> that it's completely fucked over when it comes back. I ended up
> reformatting. And no, it wasn't a virus or anything, I watch all that
> stuff closely. My network is secure and nothing on my computer can be
> modified by other computers on the network. It's XP's issue.
>
> -Dion

Erm yeah, press Ctrl + Alt + Del and run at which explorer thread its actually running (System Idle Process) that can be stopped by just changing the config, but why you would want to is beyond me, its the indexer etc and works sweet to speed up my system